Facebook Marketplace ad

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: Facebook Marketplace ad

Post by algale »

Congrats. But I must be the only one not seeing the price paid. :-(
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I thought it was me. Somewhere in there he mentioned 22%, so I'm thinking $1K. A bargain for sure.

- David
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:55 pm Good find at a great price. Why would the seller list it a MK7 with pictures? Bait and switch to get responses?
Because the seller doesn't know what he/she has.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

1K? Yep ya stole it.

Good Job!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

You did get a really great deal. I think in this case they had no idea of what it was and likely went on this website to identify it. The 510 is no longer available and they picked the first thing they found that looked right. I don't like Facebook much either. I do use CL for finding restorations and then selling them. When selling I use the email for first contacts to avoid the scammers.

Great buys can be found from time to time including old New In Box items. A year or so ago someone was selling a NIB Mark 7, yes an actual Mark 7, on CL and I called on it but was a few minutes to late. The selling price was $1250. A more extreme old NIB Shopsmith sale occurred in Seattle a few years ago when someone bought a Model 10ER still in the crate. A couple years ago I went to an estate sale that had a Mark V, SPT's and accessories still in the boxes. The hoarders are out there and their family is left selling off their collections after they pass.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

It's great that this 510 will finally get a chance to make sawdust! And if the numbers being thrown around are even close, WOW, what a deal!

I've seen 1 or 2 NIB Shopsmiths on my local Craigs List over the years. They definitely do exist -- impulse purchases at demos, I imagine, by folks who never get around to assembling them for whatever reason.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

I did pay an even thousand for it. I lubed and waxed it this morning and ran it a little to get some of the set out of the belt. I started putting the bandsaw together but got tired and quit for the day.

We get some really weird prices on Shopsmiths in this area. I think highly of things I want to sell also but come on $900 for a 10er and not even a speed changer. Total rust buckets for $500. It just scares buyers away when they see it. Sellers often have no clue what they have and don't care because they didn't have any sweat equity in a tool that belonged to a deceased relative. I try to be kind and offer what I can part with at the time. Thanks for all the support here on the forum without it I wouldn't have found such a deal.
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK ! So thee stole it "kindly".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm going to spend more time browsing FB Market Place! :rolleyes:

I just bought a new (never installed) Mark V Emerson motor there. Had to fight off other temptations.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

redleg,

You are right about the prices out there. I think some people believe there is gold in them there parts. I see very high prices here too. Recently $650 for a Mark 2 (I know it sold for $200). Another Mark 2 for $450 which that guy ended up giving it to his brother. A rusty basket case Model 10ER for $500 and is still for sale, I could go on and on. It does seem after a while many of the sellers realize they are overpriced and will come down to a reasonable sale price. One problem is that the asking price is not always the actual final sale price so people without any idea of what they have look at what other prices are listed. To some a Shopsmith is a Shopsmith. The most I have paid for a Shopsmith was $500 for a 2006 Mark V 505 with a 2006 Band Saw. The least I have paid is $0, once for a Model 10ER and once for a Mark 5 Greenie with a Jointer and Jig Saw. Not even free is a good price sometimes. By the time I had the Mark 5, Jointer and Jig Saw restored I had put over $650 into them but they looked and ran great. I spent over $180 restoring the 10ER.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.