This storm

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

This storm

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Reminds me of when I was a kid, use to snow in November and ya didnt see bare ground until spring , right now visibility is about 100 yrds we have close to a foot on the ground and expecting 1 inch per hr , more on the way and its just getting started !! plowed the drive about a hr ago and ya cant tell where I plowed . love this weather !! if ya have to travel in this be prepared , snow tires and cables or chains would be advised along with a couple blankets just in case :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: This storm

Post by DLB »

Last time I saw dry powdery snow like this was in the mid 90's. When I lived in Utah. Seriously, the record low temperature for this date in North Texas was 15F, set in 1909. Today our high temperature was lower than that. And while my house is okay, I have a rental a few miles away and it has not had power in about 15 hours. They are huddling around a fire in one room like the old days. I'm gathering my plumbing tools.

- David
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

We're a little more used to it here in the north, or the deep south of Garretson South Dakota depending on your perspective. Right now it is -20 and much warmer than yesterday, but still dang cold. I'm working at my daughter's house this week and hanging out with my 3 year old grand daughter. Electric socks are a god send when sitting in the basement all day at my computer.

If I had to choose between this and summertime heat and humidity, I'll take midwest winters every time.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Yesterday for the first time in 10 days my thermometer rose above zero to a balmy +4 degrees. During that 10 days, daytime highs varied from -5 to -15 and nighttime lows were from -20 to -32 degrees.
But, that is normal for winter up here so we just get used to it and it will end when it is ready to warm up.
It wouldn't be a normal Winter without a stretch of cold like this. It has always done this, and will continue to do it. I call it "no change in climate".
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Very strange weather pattern in the US right now with the jet stream dipping all the way down into Texas. Here in NJ, it hit 50 today, but we're back to snow and ice on Thursday. I feel bad for folks in the central south who've really been slammed.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

john_001 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:38 pm I feel bad for folks in the central south who've really been slammed.
They're not only getting slammed, they don't have experience with this kind of weather. Hope this passes quickly.

We're up in the 40s today, but it's dropping back down again soon. Not real bad though, low 30s in the day, low 20s at night, much better than last week.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:11 pm
john_001 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:38 pm I feel bad for folks in the central south who've really been slammed.
They're not only getting slammed, they don't have experience with this kind of weather. Hope this passes quickly.

We're up in the 40s today, but it's dropping back down again soon. Not real bad though, low 30s in the day, low 20s at night, much better than last week.
Exactly, not only do the people not have the experience but the municipalities don't have the equipment to deal with the conditions. That makes it even worse.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I'm in an OKC suburb. The metro area does have some snow removal equipment, sand, etc., but the snow that we have received has been dry and compounded with the wind and severe cold, the hot sand or whatever doesn't melt the snow and the wind blows stuff back on the roads. Thankfully, the wind has kept the amount of buildup on the roads fairly manageable and the snow plows have done an okay job. We're due for another round of snow later this evening, who knows what mess that will bring. One good note is that we're back up to double digit positive temps after a few days of single digits to negatives.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Probably the biggest disaster has been in Texas. About 20% of electricity is produced by wind turbines and everyone in Texas, except west Texas gets power from that regulating authority. Turbines are iced up. Nothing was done to prevent that when they were built. Turbines in northern Europe don't ice up. This could have been prevented. My son lives north of Dallas. Power went out at 4:00 a.m. Monday and came back on for less than an hour at 4:30 p.m. It's been on twice for about an hour twice since then. It's still our. Only heat is from a gas fireplace. forty degrees inside yesterday afternoon.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I tell folks around here there was snow out west deeper than my semi truck was . I tell them they dont even call out the snow plows unless they get over 2 inches lol
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)