Back Tooth Bandsaw blades

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Back Tooth Bandsaw blades

Post by reible »

Yes there is such a thing. Used for makeing thing like bowl blanks. The bad? news it that they don't appear to have one in the shopsmith size or I would order one to try. If someone with a more traditional size bandsaw does get one I'd be interested to hear what you think. Of course you can give your opinion without haveing one 'cause that is how it works here.
backtoothblade.jpg
backtoothblade.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 732 times
https://www.axminstertools.com/us/axcal ... rrency=USD

So there you go, something new to think about while on the site.......

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Back Tooth Bandsaw blades

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Thanks. It is an interesting concept, but does it work? I tried doing a little research and couldn't find any discussion in US based woodturning forums for this special blade, so if these are popular amongst woodturners, they aren't talking online about them. Given this, I am just wondering if this is a marketing gimmick to sale this blade or if it really does help. Perhaps it is a UK novelty?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I wonder how that works with guide blocks/bearings and backup bearings. Either the back teeth or the bearings will get torn up. Probably both.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The video I found was June 1, 2018 so it is not blade new to the market. It is only from Axcaliber (axminster) so it is pretty much their market in GB. I would expect most US people are not aware of it, I know I wasn't.

Rounding the back of the blade is a common US thing to aid in cutting thicker materials such as bowl blanks and I have tried that. It helps I guess but not a whole lot. That is why I'm wondering how these "teeth" would work. According to their page "Will not damage the machine's thrust guides" leads me to believe that the teeth are not sharp points but only effectively side cutting. I don't know that for a fact. Even so the side guides will more then likely get chewed up to the extent of where the rear teeth are so figure on replacing them at some point or saving a set just for cutting with this blade.

I don't do much of this sort of cutting but people who are into turning this could be a more important subject.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

It is interesting, but seems to be a very small niche. I read some of the reviews for it and one customer said that it was much more noisy than a regular blade, presumably because of the those back teeth hitting the rear guides. Damaging them?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I suppose it makes the blade more flexible at the back, but I don't understand why bowl blanks are a problem to start with.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:27 pm I suppose it makes the blade more flexible at the back, but I don't understand why bowl blanks are a problem to start with.
Bowl blanks are often much thicker than what one might typically cut on a bandsaw. I haven't seen any discussion of a "back tooth" blade being used in US based woodturning forums, but what is usually recommended is using as low of a TPI blade as you can get, i.e. larger gullets are an asset when cutting through thick stock like a bowl blank.
📶RF Guy

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 pm
edma194 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:27 pm I suppose it makes the blade more flexible at the back, but I don't understand why bowl blanks are a problem to start with.
Bowl blanks are often much thicker than what one might typically cut on a bandsaw. I haven't seen any discussion of a "back tooth" blade being used in US based woodturning forums, but what is usually recommended is using as low of a TPI blade as you can get, i.e. larger gullets are an asset when cutting through thick stock like a bowl blank.
As in re-sawing. The same thing. For bowl blanks a narrower blade with less TPI for the curve. For re-sawing a wider blade with less TPI.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:53 pm
RFGuy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 pm
As in re-sawing. The same thing. For bowl blanks a narrower blade with less TPI for the curve. For re-sawing a wider blade with less TPI.
It makes sense for the front of the blade. I still don't see how those back teeth are helping, except to effectively reduce the blade width.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:00 pm It makes sense for the front of the blade. I still don't see how those back teeth are helping, except to effectively reduce the blade width.
From their website:

"The teeth on the rear of the blade are not sharp to handle but have the effect of clearing the back of the cut by widening the kerf, enabling a much tighter curve to be cut making them an ideal choice for preparing timber for the lathe."
📶RF Guy