Newbie - order of operations

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

EastWoodTurner
Silver Member

Re: Newbie - order of operations

Post by EastWoodTurner »

DLB wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:56 pm Remember not to apply power for long, if there is a start problem then the run windings are getting hot and this can lead to worse news.

If your circuit breaker is tripping almost instantly when you turn it on that is more likely a short circuit, either in the motor or external wiring. If it takes a few seconds to trip that is more consistent with the start circuit.

I don't think you are ready for this yet, but very good used motors go for under $200 on eBay. You might also look locally and avoid the shipping. And some people here might have one, so let folks know where you are if you get to that point.
All bearings move freely but not smoothly...

Speaking of windings getting hot, I did notice that the wires were black/charred/fused together in some places and broken off in others... I’m guessing this isn’t a good sign?
573F7D62-4663-4124-AD04-5FC4009FC350.jpeg
573F7D62-4663-4124-AD04-5FC4009FC350.jpeg (430.56 KiB) Viewed 926 times
E1BB387F-3E9C-4896-9C33-C0FFF0BEE83B.jpeg
E1BB387F-3E9C-4896-9C33-C0FFF0BEE83B.jpeg (505.27 KiB) Viewed 926 times
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

That motor is toast. You need to replace it. They do come up on eBay all the time but be careful.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
EastWoodTurner
Silver Member

Post by EastWoodTurner »

That’s what I was afraid of... it sounds like between a new to me motor plus the parts that are missing it’ll end up costing a bit more then I want to put into it. If I needed it to function more then just a lathe it would probably be worth it, but since that’s all I would be using it for I will probably just pick up a HF lathe to putz around on. Thanks for all the help guys, if you see anything in the photos that you could use or want send me a message, I’m located in central Ohio but travel frequently around the Midwest.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Wow, that sucks. Sounds like the motor shorted. No telling why that happened, I have run across those on used machines, yet there are motors from the 50s still running.

Not sure how much you want to spend, but you could be on the lookout for another used Shopsmith at a low price. It could be in bad shape but still have a working motor you could use, and most if not all of the parts you are missing. If you don't want to try to save you could still make some money parting it out. Probably not a ton of money without a working motor, but there is some value in just about every piece.

For just using it as a lathe you might find an inexpensive 3/4HP motor to use. Still plenty of torque at turning speeds.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
EastWoodTurner
Silver Member

Post by EastWoodTurner »

edma194 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:49 am Not sure how much you want to spend, but you could be on the lookout for another used Shopsmith at a low price. It could be in bad shape but still have a working motor you could use, and most if not all of the parts you are missing. If you don't want to try to save you could still make some money parting it out. Probably not a ton of money without a working motor, but there is some value in just about every piece.
Best case scenario would have been nothing worst case scenario about a $100. From what I've seen locally working completes go for $1K+, Non-working completes/semi completes start around $500 and go up depending on accessories, and used motors start around $150. I figure at this point a used motor for $150, the parts I'm missing to make the lathe operational another $100 (based on a quick ebay/craigslist search of whats currently available) and then hopefully everything else works... I'm out $250 (or a little less) which is the equivalent of buying the "hidden gem" HF lathe. Since I don't need the other features that a Shopsmith has to offer I think the best bet is to sell it as-is or part it out. I've got everything posted locally for $300... I'm not sure if thats to high or low, I figure it's on the low end of the non-working/semi complete local pricing ($500) subtracting the cost of a working motor ($150) subtracting the labor to put it all back together for whoever buys it ($50) equals what it should be worth ($300)... am I in the ballpark or playing a whole different game?
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Just depends on your location and the timing. And what they sell for is often quite a bit less than asking price in bad condition. I don't know how you'd get as is since you are missing a lot of parts and the motor is shot. Around here that probably would not get you $100 because there are older working Model 500s for $300. Of course there are plenty with much higher asking prices, but I ignore most of those.

Here's one for $325 not far from me, and it would give you the bandsaw and the turning tools also. It probably has the older motor though. You would really be starting with another machine and having extra parts from the one you were given.

Good luck whichever way you go. If you go straight to the lathe just keep an eye out for Shopsmith deals in the future.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
EastWoodTurner
Silver Member

Post by EastWoodTurner »

edma194 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm Just depends on your location and the timing... Here's one for $325 not far from me, and it would give you the bandsaw and the turning tools also.
Yea I guess it really is dependent on location... a machine that looks to be in similar condition was going for $650 by me... now that’s probably not what it sold for if it did sell, but still.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

EastWoodTurner wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:20 pm
edma194 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:51 pm Just depends on your location and the timing... Here's one for $325 not far from me, and it would give you the bandsaw and the turning tools also.
Yea I guess it really is dependent on location... a machine that looks to be in similar condition was going for $650 by me... now that’s probably not what it sold for if it did sell, but still.

Look for a Shopsmith Model 10. That is the original SS. They can be had in the $100-$150 range if you find the right seller. They are every bit as good a lathe as the MK5/V and some people say they are better.

Prices here in Utah are all over the place. I guess it depends on what the seller thinks he has.The same basic machines with like accessories I see listed locally from $300 to $1500+. As Ed said, what they are listed for and what they actually sell for are two different things.

As far as HF, it scares me to death. Every time I bought something there it was totally inferior. Simple dust masks for sanding. You will be lucky to get it on the first time without the elastic band pulling out of the staple. Acid brushes for spreading glue. The bristles fall out the first time you use them. Right angle air powered die grinder. I use it with 3" by 1/16" abrasive wheels to cut things like all thread and small bolts. If you put any kind of pressure on the cutter it stall out. I have not been in there for years. YMMV
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 pm Look for a Shopsmith Model 10. That is the original SS. They can be had in the $100-$150 range if you find the right seller. They are every bit as good a lathe as the MK5/V and some people say they are better.
That's a good point. It's not the same as your current Shopsmith with a burnt out motor, but I have been told many times by the guys on the board how the Model 10 makes an excellent lathe. It is heavier than Model 500s and if I recall correctly you can reduce the speed further on a 10 than on a 500. I have a Model 10 in pretty good shape I got last year, haven't done anything with it yet, but it only cost me $150 and it has a fairly new motor too. Some of them have DC motors with even better speed control.

I can't vouch for it myself, but I think the other guys would tell you a Model 10 for $150 will be a better deal than a HF lathe.
Ed from Rhode Island

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

edma194 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:59 pm
jsburger wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 pm Look for a Shopsmith Model 10. That is the original SS. They can be had in the $100-$150 range if you find the right seller. They are every bit as good a lathe as the MK5/V and some people say they are better.
jsburger has a very good point there. It's not the same as your current Shopsmith with a burnt out motor, but I have been told many times by the guys on the board how the Model 10 makes an excellent lathe. It is heavier than Model 500s and if I recall correctly you can reduce the speed further on a 10 than on a 500. I have a Model 10 in pretty good shape I got last year, haven't done anything with it yet, but it only cost me $150 and it has a fairly new motor too. Some of them have DC motors with even better speed control.

I can't vouch for it myself, but I think the other guys would tell you a Model 10 for $150 will be a better deal than a HF lathe.
Ed from Rhode Island