You may know how I lover routers.....

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

You may know how I lover routers.....

Post by reible »

I wanted to get a second fixed base for my DeWalt 611 router. I want to permanently mount that base to a router plate and have the option of still having the original fixed base for above the table use and to swap out into my third base, a plunge base. Sounds like the option I have used many times before with other routers I own. After searching the web I was unable to find a fixed base that I could order. I contacted DeWalt and just got my answer, you have to order it as a part out of the service area.

Now I happen to know that the plunge base for this router runs about $72 on Amazon and I know the fixed base is a much simpler base. I was thinking maybe $55 or $60. When I went to the service area I was a little surprised to see it costing $129.01.

What is worse is that I can go to the Lowes store and layout $125.10 and get a whole router. Right now they are out of stock everywhere so right now I couldn't actually do that but you know at some point I could. And yes I have a discount or the router would be $139. And if I were to order the service part I would also be adding postage.....

So now I have to evaluate how bad I want this.......... my budget guess was $60 and the best option looks like a whole new router at the $125 level. Good news is I can't spend the money now due to lack of stock and I might just want to live without the spare base given the cost.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: You may know how I lover routers.....

Post by jsburger »

Does the whole router at Lowes come with both bases? If so buy it to get the fixed base and sell the old router and old plunge base to recoup some/all the difference.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Re: You may know how I lover routers.....

Post by reible »

At that price it is only the fixed base version.

I have the DCW600B which is basically the (DWP611 corded version) as a battery version. So I have two fixed bases and then the one plunge base which works with both routers. Perhaps 90% of the time I like the battery one in the fixed base. It is really handy to have a easy to grab and use router with either a round over bit or similar while working on projects. The corded version spends time between the fixed base with the Veritas Compact Router Base Plate and the plunge base. I would like the third option of having a fix base attached to the table insert so either router can be used in the table. I can live without it but taking sub bases on and off and doing the alignment each time slows things down and just is not convenient.

I hope to start on the router table this weekend, temperatures in the 60's, will have to see if that happens. I don't even know if the weather will be staying dry enough to work outside but that is what I'm hoping for. Even with good dust extraction I don't like to work on MDF in an enclosed space.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]