Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

Apparently Shopsmith has done some looking into different color schemes for the Mark V. I was at an instore demonstration (remember those? pre-covid) talking with Mike Young and the subject of colors came up. Shopsmith had a group of owners looking at different colors but when all was said and done the traditional gray was still preferred. It is kind of like Fire Engines should be red although other colors have been tried and used.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Today I was reminded of something I have talked about before. Reading my email for the Shopsmith specials something again caught my eye. In the listing for the Double Tilt Upgrade there are two notes for buyers. They read as follows
Note: For Mark V models 505, 510 and 520 only -- The Mark V Model 500 does not have interchangeable table support tubes.

Note: Older Mark V Model 500 machines (produced before 1972) that have been upgraded to the Model 510 or 520 table system will require two new 1-3/4" diameter bench tubes (504163). The old 1-7/8" diameter bench tubes will not fit in the new base castings.
As stated in the first note, this is a case where you may have to buy additional parts for an upgrade. More specifically to use the Double Tilt features you need to have the 505, 510 or 520 table system.

The second note references

(produced before 1972) will require two new 1-3/4” diameter bench tubes.

This is a case where the actual date the bench tube diameter changed is not clear. The actual change was made in 1960 and the Greenie’s and possibly some early Goldie’s had the larger bench tubes. There is a similar reference for the Lift Assist. Although they acknowledge the existence of the Mark 5 prior to Shopsmith Inc. forming and restarting the tool line they do not give complete information on changes made prior to 1972. Checking the actual parts you have before buying accessories or upgrades will save time and/or money especially when buying used items. Buying used it is up to the buyer to make sure they are getting the correct item for their use.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Simple check = Current bench tubes are 1 3/4" od. Earlier bench tubes are 1 7/8" od(the source of incompatibility).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It has been over a month since my last entry here. Although I cannot think of any additional information to include here, I know there must be something I am missing about the Shopsmith Mark 5 and Mark V over their 67 year history. If any of you have something to add please feel free to do so. It has been my hope that this would be a reference for the Mark 5/V and as complete as possible.

I want to thank Dusty for getting me interested in doing this thread to begin with. It was his prompting by asking in a thread why there was so much information about the Model 10’s but less about the Mark 5/V’s available. I also want to thank all the others who have contributed information or questions to this thread making it more complete than I would have been able to do on my own. JPG you have owned a Mark 5 for almost 60 years now and are a great resource for all of us. Thank you for your contributions to this thread and on this website.
Russ

Mark V 520
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:44 pm It has been over a month since my last entry here. Although I cannot think of any additional information to include here, I know there must be something I am missing about the Shopsmith Mark 5 and Mark V over their 67 year history. If any of you have something to add please feel free to do so. It has been my hope that this would be a reference for the Mark 5/V and as complete as possible.

I want to thank Dusty for getting me interested in doing this thread to begin with. It was his prompting by asking in a thread why there was so much information about the Model 10’s but less about the Mark 5/V’s available. I also want to thank all the others who have contributed information or questions to this thread making it more complete than I would have been able to do on my own. JPG you have owned a Mark 5 for almost 60 years now and are a great resource for all of us. Thank you for your contributions to this thread and on this website.
Russ,

Again, I just want to say thanks for all of your contributions here. I believe you covered the A, B and C headstocks in an earlier post on this thread, but I don't think I saw any mention of the PowerPro headstock on this thread. Maybe this has already been covered on past threads, but I missed it. I just wonder if you could perhaps do a PowerPro related post? For example, year it was released, any known changes so far, etc., etc. Perhaps it makes sense to make it part of a larger post going over all of the headstocks again with the PowerPro included in this list? Just a thought...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Power Pro Headstock with the DVR Motor came out with the introduction of the Mark 7 in 2010. With that it became an upgrade item for the Mark V just like the Double Tilt also from the Mark 7. I guess I neglected to talk much about it since this thread has been more about the Mark 5/V and the different models. It does need to be mentioned because this Mark 7 is designed off the Mark V unlike the original Mark VII of the 1960's. My Mark 7 is an upgraded Mark V 520 so as an upgrade item it is important to the Mark V. More so than information about the Mark 2 or Mark VII both of which are quite different than the Mark 5/V although some assemblies are compatible. Both the Mark 2 and Mark VII can use the Mark 5/V Headstock and other parts. With that in mind since the Mark 7 is based so much off of the Mark V, there is forward and even backward compatibility. If my Power Pro Headstock went out I can put my original Mark V headstock back on and get back to work then having a Mark V 520 again but with the Double Tilt feature.

A new Power Pro Headstock will come in the "C" headstock shell modified to mount the DVR motor and control box. It can, by now, be found in "B" or even "A" Headstocks installed by anyone doing the Do-It-Yourself Up-Grade. Again this is an upgrade that is compatible to all Mark 5/V's made in the past. There is some good news for anyone installing the Power Pro Up-Grade in an "A" Headstock. Because the speed is adjusted by the motor speed there is no maintenance requirements as with the conventional Headstock so the lack of a rear access hole is no longer a problem. The space for the High Speed Lock should be covered to keep out dust and debris though. There are several additional/new holes drilled into the Headstock Casting to accommodate mounting the control box and the motor. The DVR Motor is mounted to the Headstock Casting and not the motor pan like in the conventional Headstock. The Motor Pan for the Power Pro Headstock is different than the conventional headstock's motor pan in the location of the power cord passing through it.

I don't know what changes have occurred with the DVR motor and it's control since it's introduction 11 years ago. I do know the Power Pro Headstock was in development for quite a long time. Maybe one of the longest development times before going into production Shopsmith has had. Like the motors found in the Mark 5/V Shopsmith doesn't make them but gets them from other companies made to their specifications. I have to believe there have been changes to the motors and even the control box plus software upgrades to the DVR system. That is information I do not know any specifics of. Below is a picture of my DVR Control Panel at startup showing, I believe, the software version. It shows 2011 in the corner. I bought my upgrade several years ago now but not that long ago. Hopefully someone out there has more information they can add. I know there have been other threads in the past about the Power Pro.

_
DVR Control Panel RLC.jpg
DVR Control Panel RLC.jpg (98.55 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Yes, for anyone wondering I have yet to peel off the protective film covering the panel for shipping. I figure while it is pretty much staying there I will leave it to protect it.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Well today I have to update this thread. Although this has been about the Mark 5 and Mark V I have included mention of the other related Mark series tools. I have said many times there is not Mark 3 (III), 4 (IV), 6 (VI) or any Mark above the Mark 7 and VII. That has now changed. RLF Brands LLC aka Shopsmith has introduced the Mark 4. Many questions about it have already come up. Suffice it to say it is a shorter “bare bones” version of the Mark V made as an entry level tool with packages available to add the different functions as needed. With the information given about the Mark 4 it appears it has 35” way tubes instead of the 52” ones the Mark 5/V has. We will have to see if that is correct. With the longer Mark V bench and way tubes it could become a Mark V. So, for many of you who already have “shorties” it looks like you have made your own Mark 4 of sorts.

Shopsmith has also introduced the Mark V 520S. There is already speculation as to what the S stands for. I am not going to speculate what it actually stands for but the Mark V 520S is another “bare bones” entry level tool with packages available to add the five different functions as needed similar to the New Mark 4.

Of interest is the pictures of the Mark 4 and the Mark V 520S showing both having the double tilt feature. If that is true than once the Mark V 520S has all the accessories that comes with a standard Mark V 520 it would be a Mark V 520 PLUS since the current 520, as far as I know it, does not come with double tilt. There are discussions on the Forum about the possibility that Shopsmith may be discontinuing the traditional base/arm and headrest of the Mark V of which I have to say has merit. As expected, the Mark 4 and the Mark V 520S both use the conventional “C” Headstock.

I had pondered if the Mark V 520, the last remaining Mark V Shopsmith was going to be phased out like the previous Mark V Models and had mentioned that in this thread. At this point with the new Mark 4 and the Mark V 520S coming out I believe the Mark V 520 will be around for some time now.
Russ

Mark V 520
TexasTransplant
Bronze Member

Post by TexasTransplant »

Russ,

RE: your refurbished Goldie (splendid job, by the way), what paint color did you use for the gold/bronze portions? I have a couple of SPTs acquired with older Mark Vs that have this color scheme, but have yet to find a commercially available paint that matches suitably.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Mark 5 Goldie was painted with Rustoleum Hammer Finish paint in copper and oatmeal colors. These match almost perfectly to the original Hammer Finish and the copper and gold colors. Except for the legs the original paint was in pretty good condition and allowed me to do some spot testing against the original colors. Like they were originally the bench tubes are painted silver.

_
IMG_0273 r.jpg
IMG_0273 r.jpg (119.88 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Russ

Mark V 520
TexasTransplant
Bronze Member

Post by TexasTransplant »

I had read a reference somewhere to the oatmeal color, but Rust-Oleum confirms that they no longer make it. Some vendors still list the item but it is tagged "out of stock", and there are online warnings about this paint being so old that it likely would not work if available.

I faked one small touch-up with brown and gold combined, but it is a poor match. Guess I'll keep looking for a sub.

Thanks for the response.