Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Mark 5 What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

Ron,

Thank you for adding the Jacob Anderson video. He has spent a long time repairing Shopsmith tools and has a lot of Knowledge. I do wonder what he is referring to as the 1st Gilmer Drive Sleeve and not having a set screw. The 1st Owner's Manual shows the Drive Sleeve having a set screw to lock the gear onto the sleeve itself. The plastic anti-rattle was a later addition. I would like to have seen the inside of the sleeve on the last Drive Sleeve Assembly without the plastic part in place to see if any teeth were there or not. Not to say Jacob is incorrect but just my curiosity about that. It still doesn't answer as far as I can tell what the interim Drive Sleeve and Quill setup looked like when the change occurred going from the Gilmer Drive to the Poly V Drive for the "special" parts needed.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:01 pm ...
1984 September, Two Bearing Quill replaced single bearing quill in headstocks Serial number 190000 & above. *1 (online catalog has it November & history has it October)
Does anyone know when the two-piece spindle in the two-bearing quill (the one held together with a spring tension pin) was replaced by the current one piece spindle? I know early 90's was two-piece and believe the one piece was standard by early 2000's, but I'm looking to narrow that down some. Are there any external distinguishing features that one would be able to see in an ebay ad if a person wanted to buy a specific version?

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:19 pm Ron,

Thank you for adding the Jacob Anderson video. He has spent a long time repairing Shopsmith tools and has a lot of Knowledge. I do wonder what he is referring to as the 1st Gilmer Drive Sleeve and not having a set screw. The 1st Owner's Manual shows the Drive Sleeve having a set screw to lock the gear onto the sleeve itself. The plastic anti-rattle was a later addition. I would like to have seen the inside of the sleeve on the last Drive Sleeve Assembly without the plastic part in place to see if any teeth were there or not. Not to say Jacob is incorrect but just my curiosity about that. It still doesn't answer as far as I can tell what the interim Drive Sleeve and Quill setup looked like when the change occurred going from the Gilmer Drive to the Poly V Drive for the "special" parts needed.
The Mark 2 drive sleeve I recently acquired does NOT have the splines in the metal interior of the drive sleeve. It looks identical to the one in Jacob Anderson's video(late gilmer). Only the coupler has the splines.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26877&p=289095#p289095

I am curious re the groove/ring in the rear drive sleeve bearing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

Do keep in mind that the Mark 2 Drive Sleeve does not have a Gilmer or Poly V drive "gear" as part of the assembly. The Mark 2 is driven by a set of pulleys like the Model 10's.

I am taking the following back to your Mark 2 Headstock Parts topic to keep that information together.
I am curious re the groove/ring in the rear drive sleeve bearing.
The link for that topic is below.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26877&p=289137#p289137
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

It is hard to believe but I have found more to talk about relating to the Mark 5. Very recently I found and purchased a Cast Iron Extension Table similar to ones that were made for the Model 10ER. This is the only Cast Iron Extension Table I have seen for a Mark 5 and even the ones for the Model 10ER are very rare with only about 4 that we know of. So why were these Cast Iron Extension Tables made and when? Today I added this to my Thread Shopsmith Model 10’s What When and Where since they seem to relate to each other.
The Mark 5 was in design, engineering and testing for some time while the Model 10ER was still being made and sold. Very recently I found and purchased a Mark 5 Cast Iron Extension Table. It is the only one I have seen although there are around 4 of the Model 10 Cast Iron Extension Tables we know of. I now believe that during the testing of the Mark 5 some Cast Iron Extension Tables were made and the ones for the Model 10ER were also made as a test in the table design around that time. Most of the Cast Iron Extension Tables for the Model 10ER came with the longer bracket which was a later change for the Model 10ER. The bracket and the existence of a rare Cast Iron Extension Table for the Mark 5 lead me to believe they were both made at that time. This is only speculation and I could be totally wrong but based on what I know it is my best explanation.

As to how these Cast Iron Extension Tables got out into circulation is anybody’s guess too but here are a couple possibilities, over the years the Shopsmith line has changed ownership and they may have come from clearing out extra stock. Another is they may have been on demo units that were later sold. Of course, these are only guesses and we may never know the real way they became available.
In the pictures below of the Extension Tables are the Aluminum on top and the Cast Iron on the bottom.

_
CI and AL Extension Tables top.jpg
CI and AL Extension Tables top.jpg (161.92 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
CI and AL Extension Tables bottom.jpg
CI and AL Extension Tables bottom.jpg (185.89 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Russ

Mark V 520
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

I recently aquired an older SSmk V in fairly rough condition that I intend to rebuild with a variable speed DC motor. It has a gilmer drive; nameplate says it has a 1 1/8HP motor (motor draws a hair over 7 amps so I guess it is a 1 1/8HP) and looks like original gray paint under the cover.
The nameplate has NO serial # (see pics). I didn't read anything in this thread reguarding no serial #'s. I'm guessing this is approx a 1962?
Any thoughts?
0208222142.jpg
0208222142.jpg (265.75 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
0208222142a.jpg
0208222142a.jpg (165.13 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

lahola1 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:09 am I recently aquired an older SSmk V in fairly rough condition that I intend to rebuild with a variable speed DC motor. It has a gilmer drive; nameplate says it has a 1 1/8HP motor (motor draws a hair over 7 amps so I guess it is a 1 1/8HP) and looks like original gray paint under the cover.
The nameplate has NO serial # (see pics). I didn't read anything in this thread reguarding no serial #'s. I'm guessing this is approx a 1962?
Any thoughts?
Maybe some mix and match parts there? The Gilmer drive means 50's or very early 60's, but as far as I know also means originally 3/4 HP and originally Greenie or Goldie (much less likely) color scheme. The nameplate says Shopsmith Inc, which means 70's or later and means not Gilmer. The lack of a SN on the plate suggests even later to me, when they started using a separate sticker. Which would only mean the nameplate is newer.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

David's comments about the Vent Plate are correct. It would be from a Mark V made after Date Coding replaced serial numbers in December 1987.

Since it has been 68 years now since the first Mark 5's were being made it is not surprising to find mixed and matched parts on these tools.

My now Mark 7 is on a November 2001 Model 520 frame with a headstock Date Coded 09-11-01 on the Belt Cover but the main headstock casting is from a different "C" Headstock along with the Motor Pan. I purchased used headstock parts to make a complete one when I did the DIY Power Pro upgrade and kept the complete original Headstock as a spare. The seller gave me the date of the Headstock casting and motor pan so I could use the correct paint formula. Since I added the Double Tilt Upgrade those parts are a year newer than the Power Pro Upgrade. Even the front Fence Rails are newer than 2001 since I purchased the Rip Scale upgrade kit.

When restoring older tools that need replacement parts because they were either missing or damaged can be a challenge to find close matches. For some just finding a part the fits and works is enough. Admittedly the Mark 5 "Greenie" I restored serial number 351689 was not that serial number originally. It was close to that serial number based on the changes made to the Mark 5 in those early years but when it was given to me it had no Vent/Serial Number Plate. The person who gave me the Mark 5 said it was left in a rental house of his, so any history is unknown. I bought a vent/serial number plate with a serial number in the proper range to give it an identity and complete the restoration. Waiting to get that vent/serial number plate was the final touch in that restoration.
Russ

Mark V 520
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Thanks for the info. The no serial # on the nameplate confused me.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The name plate is sold separately as a service part. See ref #101 so it might have been replaced at some point in the past, though it has been there a long time.
https://www.shopsmith.com/service/heads ... s_list.htm
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,