If you are interested in what looks like a good deal

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

If you are interested in what looks like a good deal

Post by reible »

I've been shopping for a battery operated sander that uses one of the battery types I already own and have more or less decide on a dewalt. The problem has been trying to find one. Same thing with the corded dewalt 611 that I want.

I really wanted to touch and feel the tool in my hand but then this has been going no where fast. I did happen across and I'm not sure how but Home Depot had this deal where you get the bare sander and then they throw-in a 5.0Ah Battery, which I guess then makes in not bare but what do I know. So for $129 you get the sander and a battery. I would have ordered it but they were out of stock..... Today they notified me that they were now in stock. Free shipping to your house and of course if you live in states with sales tax you have to add that in. I just ordered mine and it should be here Friday. Still no in store stock so I'm going my faith that I will like it.

The battery alone runs about $75, the sander I have seen on sale for $99 or about $174 for now just $129.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-V ... 388686b9ff

Other places might have this deal, but I don't know but it sound good enough to me to place my order.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: If you are interested in what looks like a good deal

Post by reible »

Oh yea they have maybe 5 different tools with this offer, the only one I wanted was the sander but others might have other needs.

The fan looked like fun, it runs of battery or AC. The had a oscillating cut off tool and I don't recall what else so if the sander isn't coming your way perhaps one of the other tools might be of interest.

Also no sign of the router there or at the Lowe's where I have ask to be notified when they do come in again. Already own one so that I will feel really safe ordering online.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It shipped and forecast to arrive tomorrow! Of course we will have to see if it really arrives tomorrow. Just had a woodcraft package scheduled to arrive yesterday that came today. They said it was on the truck yesterday but then what happened??

Ed
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

The tool plus one battery. OK. How do you charge the battery without a charger?
Bill V
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've already bought into the system so it not an issue for me, but if you don't already own Dewalt battery tools then you will need to buy a charger. Dewalt has pretty nice tools so people might want to upgrade from what ever system they have. I would have loved to get a Festool but this seem like the next best idea given I have the router, battery and charger already and have no Festool battery tools........yet.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It's here! (Sand paper not included)
dw1.jpg
dw1.jpg (122.75 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Unboxed and played with it w/o battery. As I had hoped it is the standard 8 hole pattern for sandpaper so I have a stock of that for a corded Bosch sander. The battery is on the charger so while I could used the other battery I have it's a not so nice day out and since I like to sand out in the fresh air this is not the day for that. There will be time enough for that.

The grip is a little large for my hands but I hope to get use to it. Dewalt seems to have taken to designing their grips to larger hand sizes so it is not surprising this feels large to me.

The little dust catcher is little, but most of the time I would expect to connect to a shop vac anyway but for other quick times this will do. At least it has a twist on where some other tools are just friction fit and have a tenancy to let go when you don't want them to. I have yet to see if it fits the Festool 27mm hose but I can check that out today when I go back to the shop.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 pm The grip is a little large for my hands but I hope to get use to it. Dewalt seems to have taken to designing their grips to larger hand sizes so it is not surprising this feels large to me.

Ed
Yeah, it is hard to get a comfortable sander with good ergonomics that doesn't beat the crap out of you with vibration. I have an older corded Porter Cable 5" sander that fits great in the hands but it is very fatiguing due to vibration. My Festool RO 150 is great with low vibration, but it is big so it takes two hands to control it (more of a panel sander than detail sander). It seems like most palm sanders tend to have a large base to have to grip onto. The Mikra Deros looks like it make have a good feel in the hands but jeez it costs more than any Festool sander. Also hear they might have some reliability issues. IF anyone has any great recommendations for a palm sander that fits great in the hand AND that has low vibration transferred to the hand let me know.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 pm
reible wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 pm The grip is a little large for my hands but I hope to get use to it. Dewalt seems to have taken to designing their grips to larger hand sizes so it is not surprising this feels large to me.

Ed
Yeah, it is hard to get a comfortable sander with good ergonomics that doesn't beat the crap out of you with vibration. I have an older corded Porter Cable 5" sander that fits great in the hands but it is very fatiguing due to vibration. My Festool RO 150 is great with low vibration, but it is big so it takes two hands to control it (more of a panel sander than detail sander). It seems like most palm sanders tend to have a large base to have to grip onto. The Mikra Deros looks like it make have a good feel in the hands but jeez it costs more than any Festool sander. Also hear they might have some reliability issues. IF anyone has any great recommendations for a palm sander that fits great in the hand AND that has low vibration transferred to the hand let me know.

Have you considered a cordless block of wood?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:15 pm
RFGuy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 pm

Ed

:D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:15 pm
Tried it...didn't like it. Guess those of us in the younger generation can't sit around long enough to use one of those.
;)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor