New Nova 3G chuck from SS

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: New Nova 3G chuck from SS

Post by reible »

If you are serious about getting one of these Nova chucks I'd step up to the next model. It is rare I even use my G3 since I got the Super Nova 2. The capacity is the same but the chuck body is larger and the whole chuck feels nicer. You also get the Allen type tightener that is better then the drill chuck type one on the G3. Yes the price is higher but I'd say worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Nova-Supernova-a ... 275&sr=8-3

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

So, I got the Nova G3 chuck from Shopsmith "on sale" in 2019. I have gotten some good use out of it so far and have no frame of reference since this was my first lathe chuck, though I do wonder if I shouldn't upgrade to the SuperNova2 or another brand chuck in the future. I just want to point out that it cost me $164.96 in Jan. 2019 (from Shopsmith). It included the 50mm jaws and the pin jaws as well as the Shopsmith threaded insert. ALSO it came in a hard plastic carrying case with fitted foam inserts to protect everything. This Nova G3 is "on sale" now at Shopsmith and NO longer comes in a plastic case but just a box according to the summary chart in the Shopsmith email and now the price is $189. So it costs 15% more now and you are getting less today. I have only seen this chuck get cheaper in the last 2 years at other retailers, not more expensive.

The Nova G3 ProTek doesn't come with the insert but does come with 50mm, 100mm and pin jaws as well as with a hard plastic carrying case for $189.99 from Shopsmith (insert is $24.99 additional). Rockler has the same package regularly priced at $189.99.
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Shown above are the differences between a Pro-Tek and ordinary G3 chuck. The tightening direction is now clockwise which is nice to have in general, and it uses star point screws instead ordinary hex cap screws. Doesn't sound like earth shattering differences to me, but I should have expected something to change since I just got one of the older G3 chucks.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

edma194 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am Shown above are the differences between a Pro-Tek and ordinary G3 chuck. The tightening direction is now clockwise which is nice to have in general, and it uses star point screws instead ordinary hex cap screws. Doesn't sound like earth shattering differences to me, but I should have expected something to change since I just got one of the older G3 chucks.
Yeah, but the nice thing with the older G3 chuck is the jaws attach with 5/32" hex screws so the Shopsmith "Toolkit" fits it and you don't need a special bit/wrench to swap jaws. The star fasteners are supposed to tighten more securely than the hex heads, but do they really???
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:12 am So, I got the Nova G3 chuck from Shopsmith "on sale" in 2019. I have gotten some good use out of it so far and have no frame of reference since this was my first lathe chuck, though I do wonder if I shouldn't upgrade to the SuperNova2 or another brand chuck in the future. I just want to point out that it cost me $164.96 in Jan. 2019 (from Shopsmith). It included the 50mm jaws and the pin jaws as well as the Shopsmith threaded insert. ALSO it came in a hard plastic carrying case with fitted foam inserts to protect everything. This Nova G3 is "on sale" now at Shopsmith and NO longer comes in a plastic case but just a box according to the summary chart in the Shopsmith email and now the price is $189. So it costs 15% more now and you are getting less today. I have only seen this chuck get cheaper in the last 2 years at other retailers, not more expensive.

The Nova G3 ProTek doesn't come with the insert but does come with 50mm, 100mm and pin jaws as well as with a hard plastic carrying case for $189.99 from Shopsmith (insert is $24.99 additional). Rockler has the same package regularly priced at $189.99.
NOVA_CHUCKS.jpg
FWIW, when I bought my Nova 3G from SS a few years ago (before 2019) it came in a box like the current catalog shows.
Last edited by jsburger on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The plastic case would be nice. I like cases for tools. I'll have to get something to keep all the pieces together.

BTW: I ordered the G3 chuck last fall. It arrived fairly quickly but I didn't open the package right away. When I did open it I saw the pin jaws were missing. I called Shopsmith, they told me they'd contact Teknatool directly, and 2 days later a package with the pin jaws arrived.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

This is what my organized chuck and jaw drawer looks like.

I will not show the other drawers but once you get into turning it is a space eater. Yes I have a need to do some revisions on my other drawers and the lathe area should be first on the list to be done but never the right time to do it, yet.
ltd.jpg
ltd.jpg (213.39 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
All those oily boxes are long gone and I'm not sure a case would be much of long term solution, anyway this is how I went.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]