I am beyond help.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Re: I am beyond help.

Post by roy_okc »

JPG wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:21 pm UNEF is 24 tpi at 5/8". WTH is 5/8-27?
That thread is used with microphone stand equipment, maybe other audio uses. I did a project that included a mic gooseneck was trying to figure out how to adapt it to something else, was thinking I'd get a tap or die (can't remember which now) until I saw the price. Settled on an adapter to 1/4-20.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I thought it sounded 'familiar'. Just could not place it before.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Everett,

Well you win... ;) I know I have had some dicey deliveries before but never anything quite as severe as that. It reminds me of the UTR that Shopsmith sent me and Fedex just taped the box back up as if nothing had happened even though half the parts had come out. With regard to Amazon I have had issues before if I mistakenly order something heavy and something light/fragile on the same order. Invariably it comes leaking if a liquid or smashed and damaged. IF you have Amazon Prime for free shipping, sometimes it is better to split your order into multiples to try to minimize the chance of certain things shipping together. As an example, for your order maybe you should have placed 3 orders of 2 each instead of 1 order of 6 each due to the weight and bulk of the items. I know this is hindsight now and it sucks to have to think like this just to get around an idiot in the shipping department, but perhaps an option for next time. Best of luck on getting it sorted out with them.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I think you are all missing the reason for Everett's original post.

He said, "UPS customer service repeatedly told me to call Amazon and get an RMA to return the items I am MISSING"...

How do you return items that you didn't get?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 pm I think you are all missing the reason for Everett's original post.

He said, "UPS customer service repeatedly told me to call Amazon and get an RMA to return the items I am MISSING"...

Yeah, but UPS CS has been non-existent during the pandemic. I had a couple of issues and calling their main number and chat hasn't worked for me (no reply from them). Having said this, I would start with Amazon and let them deal with it. I wouldn't start with UPS for this issue. Usually Amazon takes care of these issues except in the few rare cases where it is a 3rd party seller on Amazon and they defer to them.
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

everettdavis wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:00 pm Obviously I am beyond help.

At least from directives given by UPS customer service.

I ordered 6 items from Amazon - Tiger Brand JS-100 Jack Posts, each capable of lifting 18,000 pounds.

I have to re-level and replace wooden post columns on my patio.

UPS arrived yesterday with a package failing to fully contain four (4) of the six (6) I ordered.

Two boxes were missing entirely, and components of internal boxes had opened and fallen out, in addition to two boxes also that had burst open, that lay outside and under the original as seen on porch.

UPS customer service repeatedly told me to call Amazon and get an RMA to return the items I am missing and UPS would pick the package up and return it to Amazon.

I asked and rephrased that question to them every way I could phrase it.

Obviously I am beyond their help.
9F7B0265-7F0D-4475-9B2B-ABC4B34896D6.jpeg
As I learned first-hand while running a small CNC-controls OEM some 20 years ago, UPS has an interesting definition of “inadequate packaging”. To wit, “If we damage it, it’s YOUR fault, because you obviously didn’t package it adequately.” The only time they would accept any liability for our controls was if they actually LOST the package.

We eventually developed our own “UPS test” for the packaging of our roughly 30-lb CNC controller, and even heavier actuators. We’d literally set the packaged devices at the top of a two-flight concrete staircase, give them a swift kick, and send them crashing to the bottom. Working with a professional packaging company, it took us three generations of packaging design to get it bullet-proof. But we eventually did.

So by UPS’s logic, their instructions to you make perfect sense. It AMAZON’s fault that the packages were destroyed, so you have to go to them to get your problem rectified.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:01 pm
jsburger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 pm I think you are all missing the reason for Everett's original post.

Yeah, but UPS CS has been non-existent during the pandemic. I had a couple of issues and calling their main number and chat hasn't worked for me (no reply from them). Having said this, I would start with Amazon and let them deal with it. I wouldn't start with UPS for this issue. Usually Amazon takes care of these issues except in the few rare cases where it is a 3rd party seller on Amazon and they defer to them.
Again, his point was not how to fix the issue. That can be accomplished. His point was the UPS CS person telling him to send back parts that he didn't have.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:14 pm
Again, his point was not how to fix the issue. That can be accomplished. His point was the UPS CS person telling him to send back parts that he didn't have.
Understood but my point was WHY contact UPS in the first place? I always go back to the shipper first. In fact with lost packages, etc. the shipping company (UPS, Fedex, etc.) usually won't even talk to the recipient. ONLY the shipper can contact and inquire on lost/mis-placed packages.

IF you are there when the package was delivered then you can reject it (due to damage) and have UPS take it back. That is about the only way UPS can be helpful here. Otherwise, contact Amazon first and 99% of the time they will take care of you. Just tell them order arrived damaged/incomplete. In the worst case just dispute the charge on credit card. Once they get involved most merchants cave and refund the purchase.
📶RF Guy

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

I think the nuance of what made this beyond help got lost in the discussion.

They told me to package up and return what they Did Not Deliver - the items missing Not the items With missing parts. Two of the six items came out of the packaging entirely and weren’t delivered at all. I was told to get an RMA and return boxes they never delivered.

Obviously I cannot return what I never received.

Which is why “I am beyond help”.

Everett
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Did you forget their company motto?

When you go brown, your package cannot be found?
:)
📶RF Guy