Universal Lathe Tool Rest

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wildcard
Gold Member

Universal Lathe Tool Rest

Post by wildcard »

I have a Mark V 520, and am considering the Universal Lathe Tool Rest, but i was wondering, it clearly is going to eat into your spindle dia of 16-12 inch max capacity, but i cannot find any information on how much it will take up of your max dia capacity.

Can anyone who has it tell me what your new spindle turning dia capacity would be after the Universal Lathe Tool Rest was installed? or is this a remove it and use the stock tool rest if you want to turn something very large.

I'm planning to turn legs for a pool table and would like as large of dia as possible, but that Universal Lathe Tool Rest is just very temping looking if i only lost a inch or two that would be fine, if it was more like 4 or worse 6 inches lost i'd probably have to pass on it
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Universal Lathe Tool Rest

Post by chapmanruss »

First, the 16-1/2" diameter is to the way tubes for turning bowls and similar. So I went out and measured on my Mark 7 which would be the same measurements as the Mark V 520. When turning spindles the maximum diameter reduces to 15-1/2" to clear the carriage. With the Universal Lathe Tool Rest it is down to 7-3/4".
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
wildcard
Gold Member

Re: Universal Lathe Tool Rest

Post by wildcard »

Thanks, i appreciate it