Ahhhhh.....retirement! RV purchase time.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Ahhhhh.....retirement! RV purchase time.

Post by mickyd »

Retired last Friday! Been waiting my whole working career for this day. Not that I didn't like my job, but I always looked forward to that day where my life was my own. At 64, it's time to have 100% freedom from work responsibilities.

Looking for a nice RV, our first. Wife REALLY wants small class B motorized, I REALLY want medium trailer. No kiddies to worry about. Trailers have much more square footage for a fraction of the $$$. Already have a Ford Expedition to pull it with.

Before knowing much about RV's, I told her she can pick the type so now, I have to develop a strategy to convince her to pick a trailer. Gas mileage will be in her favor, comfort will be in mine.

So what do you think?
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Re: Ahhhhh.....retirement! RV purchase time.

Post by Gene Howe »

Well, without some major alterations to the Expedition, my suggestion is worthless. We've owned a tow behind, a self contained and a fifth wheel. By far, the fifth wheel was the winner. Far easier to tow and maneuver than the tow behind. And, unless you tow another vehicle behind a self contained unit, you are very limited for sightseeing, grocery runs and etc.
Our fifth wheel was just a 35 footer with one slide out. But, for just us two, it was plenty roomy.
How ever you decide though, make sure your tow vehicle adequately equipped for the job.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Do the research on gas mileage. I have had the trailer/truck combo, the class C and the Fraightline/45' fifth wheel. If I was to do it all again it would be with an Airstream and an Expedition. My daughter now has an Expedition and what was our 1967 Aristocrat travel trailer. The travel trailer provides everything you need - especially "transportation at destination" without pulling the house around with you.

DOWNSIDE: no woodshop in any of them. Take up carving..

Welcome back to the forum and to the world of RVing.

Consider some test runs (with rentals) before you commit.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

MickyD,

Congratulations on your retirement. I agree with a lot of Gene's and Dusty's comments but will add my two cents worth anyway. We had a standard 29' trailer with a single slide out and now have a 35' class A Motorhome with two slide outs. Both have their pluses and minuses. With the trailer which I towed with a 1 ton pickup I had better gas mileage, had the tow vehicle to go around in without breaking camp and as much room as the motorhome. The trailer was a bit more work to set up camp and get connected to go. Without a generator wasn't as self contained as the motorhome. The motorhome is easier to get ready to go and with the generator is more self contained for dry camping. It has more compartment storage than the trailer. We have a Jeep Wrangler we tow behind it to have a vehicle to go around in and that adds to the time it takes to get ready to go attaching it for towing. The motorhome means I have another vehicle to maintain. More costs and work than maintaining a trailer. As for trailer choices a standard hitch can be towed by any vehicle having the tow capacity for it whereas a fifth wheel requires a pickup or special tow vehicle. Some trailers include a generator or you could add one if needed.

One RVer I met a few years back didn't tow a vehicle behind his motorhome but instead had an enclosed utility trailer about 20' long with his woodshop in it. :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I always thought a trailer or RV with the garage/toy hauler feature would be nice. SS would fit nicely in the garage/toy hauler area for a small shop while vacationing. At least I think the SS would count as a toy for vacation. I could even fit my motorcycle in for transportation if need be.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Some toy haulers have great recreational areas while the residential area is just a place to eat and sleep (get out of the rain).

Yes, if you want to go on vacation to make saw dust - a toy hauler would do the trick.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

IIRC the RVer/woodworker I mentioned above was a full timer.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I have owned both and if I had it to do over again I would go for a nice motor home with a pull out and a small car to tow for running errands . JMO Congrats and safe travels .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

While I am not an RVer I have seen many friends that go from small trailer, to larger trailer, to fifth wheels, then into motor homes. The transition does not stop there. They usually get a front engine gas motor home and then transition to diesel ending up with a diesel pusher with all the bells and whistles. One ended up with a motor home large enough to store a Mazda Miata in a storage area under the thing. The owner complained that car was too little and was looking for a motor home that could carry his Lincoln SUV.🤪
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

dusty wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:05 am Some toy haulers have great recreational areas while the residential area is just a place to eat and sleep (get out of the rain).

Yes, if you want to go on vacation to make saw dust - a toy hauler would do the trick.
I agree that if you do not want to make saw dust on vacation, you do not need to add your SS to your planning. My wish was for ease of doing projects. My mother in law lives several states away and I always have repairs and projects that need to be done while there. Having the SS available to do what she needs and wants done would make things a lot easier and go faster. Hubby was also talking about wintering someplace warm after he retires.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router