SPT’s What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: SPT’s What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

SPT Power Couplers

The Original Power Coupler attached directly to the 5/8” Drive Sleeve or Idler Shafts and the ½” shaft of the Jig Saw. It did not use hubs. This coupler could not be used on the Model 10E and 10ER to power the Add-A-Tools using the Power Mount Adapter kits 11-800 or 11-920. That and the introduction of additional Add-A-Tools (SPT’s) coming out required a change on the Power Coupler.

By 1955 and the introduction of the Belt Sander and Band Saw with 5/8” shafts the Coupler changed to include the use of the hubs. Hubs for the SPT’s come in two bore sizes, ½” and 5/8”. The Headstock hubs are different for the Drive Shaft and the Idler Shaft but both are a 5/8” bore. The Headstock hubs have 4 ribs and the SPT hubs have 5 ribs allowing the Power Coupler to only go on one way. The Headstock end of the Power Coupler has a spring which doesn’t allow the coupler to stay on the Headstock without pressure between it and the SPT side. This is a safety feature of the Power Coupler.

I have found 7 different Power Couplers that have been made over the years. Some are redesigned, some a change in materials and others just a labeling change.

EDIT:
The second Coupler down is the one I have but I have seen one like it that is a bit longer. About the length of the later Couplers. That makes 8 different Power Couplers.

_
Power Couplers 7.jpg
Power Couplers 7.jpg (119.88 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Although the later Magna Compressor aka Magna Sprayer used the same power coupler with a hub molded onto the flywheel, the early Magna Compressor had a partial coupler molded into the flywheel. The Shopsmith Air System which was made by Campbell Hausfeld had a partial coupler that was held on to the compressor shaft by a set screw but could have a hub attached to the compressor shaft instead and use a standard Power Coupler as shown in the post about the Air Compressors. The partial coupler is also used for the Speed Increaser and Speed Reducer.

_
Special Air Compressors Cuoplers.jpg
Special Air Compressors Cuoplers.jpg (327.9 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Well that is all I have for the SPT's and related information. I am surprised there have not been any comments posted during this thread. I guess I covered the information better than I thought. I hope those of you reading this thread enjoyed the information presented. Anyone needing more specific information on maintenance or repair items I encourage you to post your own thread about it. There are members here that are always willing to help.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:25 pm Jointers
The first Jointer the Model 4E had a Patent applied for June 1, 1951 (information from Everett Davis).
Interestingly, the patent that Magna applied for in 1951 was for what is called a Jointer-Planer, meaning it was used as a jointer with the board going over the top of the cutter head, but as a planer with the stock going under the cutter head. To the best of my knowledge, it was never produced, but elements of the design were incorporated into the final version of the jointer as we know it today. Scott
Magna Jointer-Planer US Patent US2669265.pdf
(858.81 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:43 pm Well that is all I have for the SPT's and related information. I am surprised there have not been any comments posted during this thread. I guess I covered the information better than I thought. I hope those of you reading this thread enjoyed the information presented. Anyone needing more specific information on maintenance or repair items I encourage you to post your own thread about it. There are members here that are always willing to help.
Russ,

I don't think it is you, but rather that activity seems to have slowed considerably on the forum recently. I haven't been posting as much because it seems like many of the "regulars" don't read or post here anymore (hard to get a conversation going). Not sure if they moved over to FB or are just too busy in their shops. Hopefully the latter. As always your posts on this thread are informative and very thorough. Some of us continue to read your posts, even if we don't always respond. Your contributions here are appreciated.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:39 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:43 pm Well that is all I have for the SPT's and related information. I am surprised there have not been any comments posted during this thread. I guess I covered the information better than I thought. I hope those of you reading this thread enjoyed the information presented. Anyone needing more specific information on maintenance or repair items I encourage you to post your own thread about it. There are members here that are always willing to help.
Russ,

I don't think it is you, but rather that activity seems to have slowed considerably on the forum recently. I haven't been posting as much because it seems like many of the "regulars" don't read or post here anymore (hard to get a conversation going). Not sure if they moved over to FB or are just too busy in their shops. Hopefully the latter. As always your posts on this thread are informative and very thorough. Some of us continue to read your posts, even if we don't always respond. Your contributions here are appreciated.
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Russ,

I have definitely appreciated your essays on the SPTs. I’ve referred to them many times since you began writing them, because they are pretty authoritative; a good succinct location to learn or confirm information prior to asking questions. Thank you for putting so much time and effort to create such a wonderful resource for the community.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scott,

Thank you for adding the link for the Jointer/Planer Patent application. You are correct that it is an interesting design and I too believe it was never actually made. Noting the cutter head in figures 8 & 9 we see one very much like the cutter head design still in use today. I do like figure 10 showing a Jointer/Planer mounted on what is the headrest end of a Model 10 but the mounting looks more like the "B" adapter made later for the Model 10's to use the SPT's on them. Interestingly the Jointer actually used the "A" adapter for mounting on the Model 10's. The second Power Mount Adapter Kit that included the "B" adapter didn't come out until the beginning of 1956. Seeing the mount in figure 10 makes me wonder why they didn't use that type of mounting for the Model 4E Jointer when it came out since the Mark 5 was already in design and testing instead of the Jointer Headrest and related parts. That would have been a simpler mount which they eventually went to.

RFGuy and JPG,

I have also noticed activity here has slowed. I am spending less time reading the new posts each day and commenting.

Marc and all,

It has been enjoyable putting together this information just like I have enjoyed doing it for the Mark 5/V and Model 10 series. I have learned even more about the Shopsmith/Magna tools doing these series from the research in putting them all together. And I have not forgotten the comments and information provided by others in the other two series. For their contributions I am grateful.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Something that comes up from time to time is replacement parts for the Jig Saws. As covered in the Jig Saw sections previously, both the Jig Saw for the Model 10's and the later SPT for the Mark series tools have been discontinued. Replacement parts can be hard to come by so some creativity can be used.

I have been asked a couple of times about the Sabre Saw Support for the Model 10's Jig Saw. Sometimes it is missing from the Jig Saw when purchased used. I have had one Jig Saw that I restored that was missing the support. It does two things when using the Jig Saw on a Model 10E or 10ER. First it sets the table height so as not to have it to low that the Lower Chuck hits it at the top of the stroke. The second is to provide a blade guide when using it as a Sabre type saw without the upper arm. When used in that configuration the Blade Guide is moved from the upper Hold Down Assembly and inserted in the Sabre Saw Support. The Jig Saw can be used without the Sabre Saw Support but for anyone wanting to recreate a replacement the specifications are as follows.

For reference the Jig Saw Saber Saw Support part numbers are 134-13 with 134-13S, set screw & 134-13N, jam nut which are the part numbers from the early manuals. For a later Manual after November 1951, it would be part number A 2234 with P 1010, set screw & P 1410, jam nut. It is 5/8" diameter and 3" overall in length. It has a 2-3/16" length to the body with 13/16" of thread length which is a 3/16" -16 thread and the Jam Nut to match. The set screw in the top is a 1/4" - 28 x 3/8" Cup Point Allen set screw. The angled 1/4" diameter hole for the Blade Guide (P/N 143-41 or A 2222) is at a 60-degree angle. The top of the angled hole is 11/32" down from the top of the Support. I have made 1 replacement Sabre Saw Support as shown in the picture below. It is the one in the foreground and an original is in the background. It was made out of commonly found parts but functions the same.

_
11 100 4 and 5c.jpg
11 100 4 and 5c.jpg (102.52 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Another item found missing on the Model 10 Jig Saw is called the Flexible Coupling. Although not very flexible it is needed to connect the Jig Saw to the spindle of the Model 10E or 10ER Quill to power the Jig Saw. I and others have found a coupling made by Lovejoy Inc. P/N L-050 a suitable substitute for the original coupler.

The Model 610 and later 505644 Jig Saw, the SPT for the Mark series tools, being out of production also can present problems for owners needing replacement parts. Two common items needing replacement are the Gasket for the lower housing cover and the plastic part in the Yoke Assembly. Both can be made by the user. The gasket can be made using regular gasket material and following the outline of the housing cover. Do remember it needs the hole in the gasket for the vent on the upper right side of the housing so don’t simply cut out the outside and leave the center covered with gasket material. The picture of the gasket below has arrows that show where the cutout area is all around the gasket for the vent hole.

_
Jig Saw Gasket - arrows.jpg
Jig Saw Gasket - arrows.jpg (357.18 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Although only one vent hole cutout is needed in the gasket the OEM gasket is cut so it can be placed in any direction on the housing and provide the vent hole cutout. The vent hole location is shown on the picture below indicated by the arrows.

_
10-54 Back Cover c.jpg
10-54 Back Cover c.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
A replacement for the plastic part in the Yoke Assembly can be made using a small chunk of plastic or nylon cutting board and drilling the two holes needed to align the attaching parts. When doing this cut off a full width piece from the cutting board and clean up the edge to make the cutting board look nice so the wife doesn’t suspect. :D There have been sellers at online auctions that have made 3D printed replacements.

Lastly where do I find Jig Saw Blades? Both Jig Saws use the same 5” standard blades as Scroll Saws with plain ends. I would caution about using very fine blades with the Jig Saw. The Jig Saw can also use single ended blades in Sabre Saw mode without the upper arm.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

For those of you who have followed my Model 10 What When and Where thread and my Mark 5 What When and Where thread you know I have a curiosity about anomalies.

I found the following one regarding a Jointer. Model 505681-B serial number SS15354 made in Dayton OH would have been made March of 1980 as per the serial number. The Model 505681-B didn’t start until January of 1984 with serial number 70000. At the time serial number SS15354 would have been made they were Model 505681 and were being made in Tipp City OH still. The Jointer itself has the change made to Jointers adding the depth adjustment stop called the Infeed Stop that was added just above the label plate likely at the time it changed to Model 505681-B. Is there a missing digit to the serial number? Making it serial number SS105354 would make it all match up correctly and still be lower than the highest Jointer Serial Number I have seen which is SS106695. The serial numbers are the only variable on these preprinted label plates.

_
7.jpg
7.jpg (247.97 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Below is another oddity on a label plate. Note the last digit in the serial number which is 7. How did the 7 get stamped backwards? Sorry it is not the best picture to show it clearly and not one I took but the 7 is backwards.

_
505681-B ser SS103127 Sept 87 - 7 backwards.jpg
505681-B ser SS103127 Sept 87 - 7 backwards.jpg (287.47 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In my first post about Jointers, I listed changes made to them and approximately when they occurred. I purchased a Model 10ER recently which came with a Model 4E Joiner which is serial number 8164. I noticed, as I was disassembling it, that the Fence Lock Handle and Bolt are different from the Model 4E Jointer serial number 2145 I already have. In the picture below the Handle and Bolt from 2145 is on the left and the Handle and Bolt from 8164 is on the right. The first difference is obvious with the bolts. There is a difference in the Handle to go with the Bolts too.

_
Model 4E Fence Locks.jpg
Model 4E Fence Locks.jpg (209.39 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
Like a number of the changes made to the 4" Jointer over the years these two parts changed together and the earlier Handle cannot be used with the later Bolt although the later Handle could be used with the earlier Bolt. This change continued with the Model 620 Jointer until the Fence Lock changed as previously mentioned.
Russ

Mark V 520