SPT’s What When and Where

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

SPT’s What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

I did a thread for the Model 10E and 10ER. I followed that with a thread for the Mark 5/V. So now it must be time to talk about those additional tools.

We know them now as SPT which stands for Special Purpose Tool. They have also been known as Single Purpose Tool and originally Add-a-Tool. None of these names were used for the original Shopsmith Jig Saw Model A-34 or the Magna 4” Jointer Model 4E made for the Model 10E and 10ER. Notice I referred to the Jig Saw as Shopsmith but the Jointer as Magna. The Jig Saw was an accessory specifically for use only on the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER and as such carried the Shopsmith name. The Jointer and other Add-a-Tools that followed carried the original company name Magna and could be used separately or in combination with other Magna Tools. The Add-a-Tools were designed to mount on the Mark 5 and special mounts were designed to allow mounting on the Model 10E and 10ER besides mounting on a separate stand with its own motor. Some later SPT’s, the Pro Planer and Scroll Saw, had a stand mount option. All other SPT’s, except the A-34 Jig Saw, could be used on separate stands that were either home built or purchased from the manufacturer. The Power Station was designed as an alternate power source for the SPT’s. Magna Line Power Tools included not only the Add-a-Tools but several additional tools including 2 table saws and other individual power tools. After Shopsmith Inc. was formed in 1972 and restarted production of the Mark 5 and SPT’s they became Shopsmith but Magna markings continued for several years on them.

It can sometimes be helpful to know who made the Shopsmith/Magna Tools over the years. Markings on the tools commonly have the company name on them. The company has changed names and changed hands over the years. Below is a list of the company names and approximate dates.

Magna Engineering Corporation 1947 - 1955
Magna Power Tool Corporation 1955 – 1958 or 1959
Yuba Power Products Inc. 1958 or 1959 - 1961
Magna American Corporation 1961 - 1967?
Shopsmith Inc. 1973 - 2009
RLF Brands (RLF Shop for a short time) 2010 – present

Magna Power Tool Corporation was the name found on tools but was part of Magna Engineering Corporation after the company split into two divisions. I am unsure of the date Magna was taken over by Yuba either late 1958 or early 1959. RLF Brands is the current maker of the Shopsmith Tool line but is still commonly referred to as Shopsmith.

Something to note while reading the information on these SPTs is there are gaps in the production dates by serial numbers as is found in the Mark 5/V data.

My plan is to post the SPTs one at a time to allow for discussion, additions and Q & A for each.

Jig Saws

The first major accessory was the Shopsmith Jig Saw Model A-34 made for the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER. It appears to have come out in 1950 and is first shown on the back cover of the 2nd Rev. A Model 10ER Manual. The earliest catalog I have seen that has the Jig Saw is marked DA 3-12-1050 and I believe that would be from Oct. 1950. The original Jig Saw was later changed adding some belt coverage and other modifications to the Lower Frame. All parts except the Lower Frame, Drive Housing Cover, the number of screws for the drive housing cover and the Table Insert remained the same throughout its production. Although similar in function this Jig Saw was very different from the later Magna Jig Saw Model 610 for the Mark 5. It was not designed to be used on its own and used the Model 10’s table instead of having its own.

_
Jig Saw V2.jpg
Jig Saw V2.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 4434 times

The Magna Jig Saw Model 610 was made from 1954 (first Serial # on Shopsmith’s records 50001, Sept. 1954) until Magna American discontinued the line in (approx.) 1967. It was the second Add-a-Tool from Magna following the Model 620 Jointer. They had “Greenie”, “Goldie” than gray paint. Back being manufactured by Shopsmith Inc. in 1973 (earliest Serial # on their record 03065 Jan. 1978) and continued past date coding December 1987. The Jig Saw is shown in the 1987 Christmas Catalog. The Jig Saw was eventually discontinued and replaced by the grey version of the Scroll Saw which was already being made. The book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone 4th edition in chapter 16 for the Jig Saw starts with the sentence The Shopsmith Jigsaw is no longer manufactured. PTWFE 4th edition was copyrighted 1989. 1984 Catalogs show the Magna Logo Housing Cover and 1985 Catalogs show the Shopsmith Logo Housing Cover. This was one of the latest uses of the Magna Logo on an SPT. Early Model 610 Jig Saws had a serial number prefix of EX for some unknown reason which ended in November 1954.

This Jig Saw had very few changes over the years. Early Jig Saws had straight mounting posts which later changed to the eccentric mounting posts sometime between May of 1980 and July 1982. The Table went from Cast Iron to Aluminum. There may have been some internal changes to the air puffer in the base of the Upper Bracket Assembly. Near the end of their production or perhaps even after, a change to the Trunnion Bolt Assembly was made using a Socket Head Screw and Washer. This was to provide a more positive lock for the trunnion.

_
Model 610 SN76158
Model 610 SN76158
IMG_0229r.jpg (83.59 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
Last edited by chapmanruss on Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: SPT’s What When and Where

Post by chapmanruss »

In my first post above I mentioned the following
1984 Catalogs show the Magna Logo Housing Cover and 1985 Catalogs show the Shopsmith Logo Housing Cover. This was one of the latest uses of the Magna Logo on an SPT.
The change of the logo was in April/May of 1984.

As best as I can tell serial numbers for the Jig Saw after Shopsmith Inc. restarted production in 1973 began at 1001 and at first had the SS prefix with the serial number. The SS prefix continued on most Jig Saw serial numbers until 1981. The SS prefix was a common practice for Shopsmith Inc. when they restarted the Mark 5 and SPT tool lines. The point at which the SS prefix on the serial number ended varies by tool. The latest is the change to date codes.

Over 35,000 Jig Saws were made between 1954 and out of production around 1967. Shopsmith Inc. made over 48,000 before it discontinued the Jig Saw.

The Jig Saw A-34 for the Model 10E and 10ER did not have serial numbers. There is no information I have seen to indicate how many were made.

Unfortunately since both of the Jig Saws are out of production new OEM replacement parts are no longer available except a small few can be found for the Jig Saw Model 610 or 505644 from Shopsmith as they use parts still used on other tools.

It is common to find the name Jig Saw being used interchangeably with the Scroll Saw. They are different tools in how they function and can be used. The Jig Saw moves the blade up and down from the bottom with a tension spring for the top. The Scroll Saw holds the blade between the lower and upper arms which both move in unison holding constant tension on the blade. The Jig Saw can be used without the upper arm as a saber type saw. Sometimes a useful feature. It can also use other than cutting blades like files and some have used makeshift sanding boards. Both the Jig saw and Scroll Saw have their pluses and minuses over each other.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Jointers

The first Jointer the Model 4E had a Patent applied for June 1, 1951 (information from Everett Davis). The first and only Model 4E Manual I have seen is Copyright 1953. It was first introduced by mid 1953. The Magna Model 4E Jointer was made to mount on a special Headrest but the manual also included plans for a bench for stand alone use. Serial numbers likely started at 1001 for the 4E and continued on with the Magna 4” Jointer Model 620 made to mount on the Mark 5. There was around 10,000 Model 4E Jointers made. The Model 620 Jointer was in production prior to release of the Mark 5 on March 20, 1954 and was the first Magna Add-a-Tool. It still had mounting holes like the 4E to mount on the special Model 10 Headrest and bracket besides having the mounting posts. It is interesting that the 1st Model 620 Jointer Manual cover shows a Model 4E mounted on a Model 10 Shopsmith. The same picture used on the 4E manual cover. This may have happened since the Model 620 may have come out before the Mark 5. The oldest Model 620 Jointer I have seen is serial number 11458. That serial number is over 3,000 before the first serial number listed on the Jointer chart for April 1954. It was painted gray when I got it but was originally green.

Shopsmith Inc. changed from actual serial numbers to date codes in December 1987. The highest Serial Number I have seen is SS106695 and is 3233 units past the last regular starting Serial Number for November 1987. November started at 103462 and only 255 Jointers were made in October & 275 in September. I believe some tools had serial numbers past the beginning of December 1987 while S/N plates in stock were used up.

There have been a number of changes in Jointer Parts over the years. The good news is almost all of the parts available today can be used on any Jointer going back to the original Model 4E with the exception of the Dust Chute which will not fit on the 4E. Some parts can be replaced individually while others have to be replaced as assemblies.

Mounting from the Model 10’s Headrest & Bracket for the Model 4E to Mounting Tubes (1954) on the 620 (620 mounts either way). The 620-C and later Jointers only have Mounting Tubes.

The Cutter Guard has had 6 versions.
Magna Logo in Circle Used on Model 4E and early 620 (1953)
Magna Logo and no Circle with Magna in letters under M Logo first used on Model 620 (1955)
Magna M Logo no name under the M Logo.
Magna M Logo with an added raised area under the M Logo for SS sticker.
No Logo, no name with blank area for warning sticker.
The last change was to the Feather Guard.

Other changes include

Fence Tilt/Lock Lever Assembly changed on Model 620 (late 1955)
Table Height Adjustment Knob & Adjusting Screw changed on Model 620 (by 1956)
Change to Model 620-C and no longer has Model 10 mounting holes (1957- 1958)
Model 620-C changed to Item No 505681 in 1964 but still referred to as 620-C
505681 changed to 505681-B during January 1984 starting at Serial Number 70000B
A depth adjustment stop called the Infeed Stop was added just above the label plate (date unknown)
This was likely an addition at the time it changed to 505681-B
Dust Chute & Safety Covers – Shaft Guard & Rear Cutter Guard (Retro-Kit 555077) January 1984
Jointer Feather Guard (Retrofit Kit 555480) by 1990
Larger Diameter Cutter Head changed in November 1990 (service parts info.)

_
Model 620 SN 11458
Model 620 SN 11458
IMG_0224r.jpg (123.71 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Air Compressor

Called the Magna Sprayer Models DM & DM-B. It was first introduced about 1955 before Magna Engineering Corporation split and added Magna Power Tool Corporation Division, although it shows up in a catalog dated 1954. New in Shopsmith Shavings No. 9 copyright 1955 (2-55). It continued in production into the 1960’s. The Compressor was made by Decora Manufacturing Company in Emeryville California along with the spray gun. It came in both the Greenie and Goldie colors. It did not have the Magna or Yuba company names on it.

The Magna Sprayer came as a kit with the compressor, spray gun, 2 air hoses (5’ & 10’), dusting nozzle, tire inflator and garden hose adapter. The garden hose adapter allowed the user to connect up to 100’ of garden hose to extend its reach.

The only difference I have found is the type of flywheel/coupler it has. A flywheel with partial coupler directly attached (molded in) shown in 1954 & July 1955 catalogs and 55 Magna Engineering Owner’s Manual. This was the 1st type made and didn’t require a separate coupler. The other is a Flywheel with pulley back and hub front shown in the 1962 & 1964 catalogs and Magna American Manuals.

EDIT: Something to note on the original Magna Sprayer is the drive shaft on the compressor is 15/32” diameter and not the standard 1/2” or 5/8” like the other SPT’s. The Magna Compressor shown below has the Flywheel with the pulley back and molded on hub on the front. (end edit)

Later the Magna Sprayer was replaced by the Shopsmith Air System after being out of production for some time. The Shopsmith Air System was made by Campbell Hausfeld and was available around 1990. 11/90 is the date on the only Manual for it I have seen. Unlike the original Magna Compressor, it connects to the Drive Sleeve hub instead of the Idler Shaft hub. It came with a special coupler attached to its shaft and so it does not use the Shopsmith Power Coupler. EDIT: This special coupler is the same coupler used by the Speed Increaser and the Speed Reducer. (end edit)

_
Magna Shopsmith compressor DM8.jpg
Magna Shopsmith compressor DM8.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
_
The above Magna Sprayer/compressor has the later Flywheel with pulley back and hub front.

_
Shopsmith CH Compressor.jpg
Shopsmith CH Compressor.jpg (178.75 KiB) Viewed 4658 times
_
The Campbell Hausfeld Compressor shown above is missing its original coupler and has a regular SPT hub on it instead.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Bandsaw

The Bandsaw was introduced in the Summer of 1955 in Shopsmith Shavings No. 10. Originally Model 630 and later changed to 505641 with the part number changes in 1964. Different Model numbers have followed. It is an easy-to-use Bandsaw with its auto tracking and easy tensioning for the blades. There has been a lot of discussions on the Forum about the 2° Bevel on the upper wheel. All Magna/Shopsmith Bandsaws have it and it’s even in the patent drawings.

The main changes since the Bandsaw's introduction in 1955 include -
Eccentric Mounting Posts replaced the straight posts with collars.
Guide and Back up Bearings changed.
Cast Iron Table to Aluminum Table with additional table accessories.
Cover added Dust Collection, later a window and a slot for blade tension adjustment.
The Hex Stud was changed from Knobs holding the cover on to screws and plastic washers. The original knobs were metal followed by plastic knobs.
These changes/upgrades can be added to any previous (to those changes) Bandsaw.

Another change to note is the Main Frame Assembly. Early castings had pressed in Bushings. The early Main Frame casting should be the same back to the first Band Saw in 1955 with the pressed in bushings. The 1978 Bandsaw I refurbished and sold had the same Main Frame Assembly as my restored 1956 Bandsaw. Later/current Main Frame castings have slip in Bushings and I believe this change occurred with the Aluminum Table upgrade. Trunnion mounting hardware changed with the bushing change. It is important to use the correct hardware for the type of bushings in the Main Frame Assembly. Upgrading from the cast iron table to the aluminum table uses the original trunnions of the Bandsaw as the mounting holes have the same spacing for both types of tables.

One of the features of the newer aluminum table is the addition of a fence system, table extension and a circle cutter. It has a “T” slot for using the Miter from the Mark V/7. The cast iron table has two miter slots which uses the Miter without a “T” slot washer from the original table system Mark 5/V/VII for both miter uses and as a fence.

_
Model 630 SN 22784.jpg
Model 630 SN 22784.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Belt Sander

The Belt Sander was introduced in 1955 in Shopsmith Shavings No. 10. It was originally Model 640. As with other SPT’s it was first a Magna tool. It had Magna Markings with a Shopsmith Inc. sticker on the Outer Frame into the 1980’s.

The main change since the Belt Sanders introduction in 1955 was the Dust Chute going from 1-1/4” to 2-1/2” in August 1987.

One of the differences between the Belt Sander and other SPT’s is the drive shaft goes through the drum and can be driven from either side. This also allows the addition of, for example, a sanding drum to be attached on the opposite side from the one being driven. It can be used with or without the tilting table. The table can be mounted in different ways in the four mounting holes for varying sanding needs. It goes between horizontal and vertical.

_
beltsander.jpg
beltsander.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 4600 times
EDIT:

I wanted to add this information from a post by DLB. David has had troubles getting his Belt Sander to track. Below is from his post which I believe is something that owner's of that era Belt Sander should be aware of.
My Belt Sander, bought new in the early 80's, has never tracked really well. I'm pretty constantly needing to re-adjust. I now understand this is most likely due to crowning of the drive drum. I want to try removing the crown myself.
Below is a link to the Forum Thread for this.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27134&p=290635#p290635
Last edited by chapmanruss on Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Planer

The Mark Mounted Planer began production in October 1982. The first serial number listed in the production chart is 00235 for Nov. 1982. There were options for both a manual feed and powered feed. The power feed uses a separate variable speed motor from the cutter head drive. Only the power feed option is currently available. The Mark Mounted Planer is different from all the other SPT’s in that it mounts and clamps on the Mark V’s way tubes instead of using the mounting posts like all the other SPT’s use. Because of this mounting it cannot be used on the Shopsmith Power Station.

The Pro Planer is a stand-alone unit with its own bench and motor. The cutter head is driven by the motor mounted under the bench top and a belt and pulleys drive the cutter at the set speed. It uses the variable speed power feed like the Mark Mounted Planer or can use the manual feed crank replacing the variable speed power feed motor. It began production in January 1985. The first serial number listed in the production chart is 00056 for Feb. 1985. The Pro Planer is currently listed as out of production.

_
Mark Mount and Pro Planers.jpg
Mark Mount and Pro Planers.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
_
Most of the parts are common to both the Mark Mount Planer and the Pro Planer for the planer units themselves. The obvious difference is the Pro Planer having the stand with a motor to turn the cutter whereas the Mark Mount use the Headstock via a power coupler like other SPT’s. The Mark Mount planer has a different lighter table and has mounting brackets to clamp it to the way tubes. The Pro Planer uses the same two mounting holes as the Mark Mount Planer to attach it to the stand. A Mark Mount Planer can be converted to a stand mounted Planer.

Most Shopsmith Tools, SPT’s and accessories use common tools for alignments. The Planers use a special gauge to align the cutter knives which is shown in the picture below. The etched line (shown by the red arrow) indicates where the knives should “touch” when properly aligned.

_
Knife Setting Gauge - marked.jpg
Knife Setting Gauge - marked.jpg (109.5 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Scroll Saw Information

The Gray Scroll Saw began in 1987 (new in the 1987-1988 Winter Catalog) and the Teal Scroll Saw replaced it in 1993. Both have only date code serial numbers. Scroll Saws have been made in both stand alone and Mark V Mount. There have been a least three table versions made for the Scroll Saw. The current Teal Scroll Saw’s table does not use a separate table insert. Two versions of the earlier Gray Scroll Saw had one with the blade block alignment fixture on the rear edges of the table (changed by early 1990) and the other, earlier table, did not have the blade block alignment fixture as part of the table itself. The table inserts were different for these two Gray Scroll Saw tables.

There have been a number of changes made to the Scroll Saw besides changing the color and the table differences noted above. Standalone units have a motor mounted inside the lower frame whereas the Mark Mount Scroll Saw has no motor in that space. Other SPT’s mounted on standalone benches have the motor mounted under the bench top. I already mentioned the three different tables. The blade mounting changed to quick mounting upper and lower chucks that replace the blade blocks used on the Gray Scroll Saws and can be added to those earlier units. In a thread by paulrussell titled Grey SS scroll saw stroke/vibration reduction in Maintenance and Repair he noted there is a difference in the stroke length between the gray and teal models. The drive shaft/counterweight assemblies are different between the two and are not a direct replacement but he was able to modify the Teal one to fit his older Gray model. The thread can be found at the link below.

https://forum.shopsmith.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26187

_
Later Table Version
Later Table Version
Model 555220.jpg (71.32 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
Teal Scroll Saw.jpg
Teal Scroll Saw.jpg (103.75 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Strip Sander

The Strip Sander is the newest SPT. It was first in the Christmas 1988 Catalog. A handy tool to have when a larger Belt Sander is too big for the project. It uses 1” and ½” wide sanding belts in a variety of grits and comes with flat and curved platens. Its design allows it to be run in both directions, the belt traveling downward or the belt traveling upward over the platens. The belt can be threaded two different ways, one allowing it to sand internal cutouts. There is a Lathe Chisel Sharpening Attachment available that with down to 600 grit belts can put a keen edge on your Lathe Chisels.

_
Strip Sander.jpg
Strip Sander.jpg (109.87 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
_
Sorry I don't have a lot of information to give on the Strip Sander and that it sounds more like an advertisement for it. I do have a Strip Sander (shown above) with the Lathe Chisel Sharpening Attachment and do like using it both for smaller sanding operations and sharpening Lathe Chisels.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

SPT Mounting Posts

The Jointer, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Bandsaw and Air Compressor that all originally came out in the 1950’s started with straight mounting tubes. The Jointer, Jig Saw and Belt Sander tubes had snap rings to rest on the Mark 5 headrest mounting holes. The Bandsaw and Air Compressors (both the original Magna and later Campbell Hausfeld) had collars to set the height. The Air Compressors had mounting tubes with a threaded insert at the top of the tube for attaching with a bolt to the compressor frame and both only used straight mounting tubes. The original Magna Air Compressor mounting tube was hollow and the later CH Air Compressor had solid mounting tubes but could have had hollow tubes at some point.

The Scroll Saw and Strip Sander which came out in the 1980’s have only had eccentric mounting posts. Later the Scroll Saw changed from Gray to Teal paint. The mounting post information below is for the Gray Scroll Saw. Later parts lists leave off the mounting posts of the Teal Scroll Saw for some unknown reason. At some point the Jointer, Belt Sander and Bandsaw changed to eccentric mounting posts. The Jig Saw Mounting posts changed to eccentric posts by July 1982 (manual date). The Bandsaw has an optional offset mounting post to allow it to stay on the Mark V when it is put up into drill press mode. The Bandsaw cannot stay on Marks having the Double Tilt feature when raised into drill press mode. This off set mounting post is not included in the information about eccentric mounting posts below.

SPT – straight post ... Overall Length . Length from top to ring/collar*
Jointer ................. 3-7/8”............1-5/16” ............................ P/N A3094, 3094
Jig Saw ................. 8-7/8” .......... 6-3/4” ............................. P/N 502289
Belt Sander ............ 6-1/4” .......... 4-1/8” ............................. P/N B3532, 503002
Band Saw .............. 7-1/2” .......... 4-3/4” ............................. P/N A3466
Air Compressor – M ... 6-1/8” .......... 2-1/2” ............................. P/N 66100, 502568
Air Compressor – CH . 5-1/2” .......... 3-3/4” ............................. P/N 516533
*Collars are measured from the top of the post to the bottom of the collar. Lengths may vary.

_
Straight Mounting Posts.jpg
Straight Mounting Posts.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
SPT – eccentric post . Overall Length . Length from top to eccentric offset
Jointer ................. 3-1/2” .......... 1-3/4” ............................. P/N 502080, 5020809
Jig Saw ................. 8-7/8” .......... 6-3/4” ............................. P/N 513776
Belt Sander ............ 6-1/2” .......... 4-1/2” ............................. P/N 513777, 5137779
Band Saw .............. 6-1/2” .......... 4-1/2” ............................. P/N 513777, 5137779
Scroll Saw ............. 6-1/2” .......... 4-1/2” ............................. P/N 513777
Strip Sander ........... 8-7/8” .......... 6-3/4” ............................ P/N 513776, 5137769

_
Eccentric Mounting Posts.jpg
Eccentric Mounting Posts.jpg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
There was an additional pair of straight posts with snap rings that are for the Jointer from the 2nd Power Mount Adapter Kit Item Number 11 920 made in the mid 1950’s for using SPT’s on the Shopsmith Model 10’s. One of the reasons for using collars on the Bandsaw and Magna Sprayer (Air Compressor) straight mounting posts instead of the snap ring appears to be for use on the Model 10 Adapters. SPT's used on those adapters whether the "A" or "B" adapter may sit at different heights to the Model 10 Drive Sleeve Pulley Hub than those on the Mark 5 Drive and Idler Shaft Hubs. The 2nd Adapter Kit included the "A" and "B" Adapters plus the longer posts for the Jointer. The Air Compressor was introduced about the same time as the 1st Adapter Kit and collars were used on its posts to allow for that adjustment. The Bandsaw was introduced about the same time as the 2nd adapter kit. The Jointer and Air Compressor mount on the "A" Adapter and the Jig Saw, Belt Sander and Bandsaw mount on the "B" Adapter. The original Power Mount Adapter Kit only had the "A" Adapter. It was for mounting the Jig Saw and the Air Compressor (Magna Sprayer) with no provision made for mounting the Jointer. Because the "A" Adapter sits higher the Jig Saw's snap ring posts were inverted and collars used to set the height. There wasn't a mounting option for the Jointer with the 1st Power Mount Adapter Kit since Magna still sold the Model 10 Jointer mounting kit with the special headrest. Like the Model 4E Jointer the Model 620 jointer still had the mounting holes for that kit until the Jointer changed to the Model 620-C.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V 520