ios experts, we need help

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

ios experts, we need help

Post by reible »

My daughter was here with family last week and we took a lot of pictures. One of the DIL started a shared album where it is simple to add photos from our iphones. But not so obvious as to how to get my canon camera photos and some people have android phones, again not obvious how to get them in the album.

We are stumped as to how to add these photos to the shared photos in that album. Is this possible and if so how?????

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: ios experts, we need help

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

I don't consider myself an expert, but maybe the link below will help. I do believe you can share photo albums between iOS and android, but I believe the android users can only view the album, i.e. they can't add their own photos to it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/302057/how-to ... -products/
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

The link says that to add photos to the album, you need to use Apple devices. That is how Apple has always been. They do about everything they can to limit your use of their system, hoping that you will use only their product. That is the agreement you accept when you buy or use Apple equipment.

Back about 30 years ago I worked for a company that had only Apple computers. I was in the engineering dept, so when the computers arrived, I was stuck being the IT guy. I learned a few things very fast.

1. Apple products are terribly overpriced for what they deliver.
2. Apple Computer company gives the worst tech support I've ever encountered from any company.
3. NEVER own any Apple product.

I left that company about 20 years ago and have lived up to my resolution to never own anything from Apple. I'm glad I did.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Well some progress. I was able to buy some icloud space to photos and then they appear in my photos app on the phone and then I can go to the shared album and add them.

Since that works I think if we can get the android photos on to a pc the same general path can work to get them shared. Not a clear cut path but it seems like it might be possible.

I've never been a fan of apple but I have to say if you live in their world their stuff all works well together. I don't pay for my phone or service so other wise I wouldn't be in the ios world either. I'm much more at home on a pc. When I worked we were mostly unix based but those skills are fading away fast...... 20 years or so will do that to you.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Here is a link from Cannon but not sure if it will help https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Soft ... d-p/278071
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

garys wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:34 pm The link says that to add photos to the album, you need to use Apple devices. That is how Apple has always been. They do about everything they can to limit your use of their system, hoping that you will use only their product. That is the agreement you accept when you buy or use Apple equipment.
I learned a few things very fast.

2. Apple Computer company gives the worst tech support I've ever encountered from any company.
I agree with #1, with a caveat. Although Apple may be more costly, most computers (word used in the generic sense; includes tablets and smart phones) are overpriced. I somewhat agree, but not completely, with #2; Apple does have a decent Knowledgebase articles and the Apple Store, and I can tell you that Intuit and AT&T support is much, much worse!!! Then for #3, I strongly disagree. I actually appreciate Apple’s approach to having a closed system for their phones.I want my phone to work, and I am glad that Apple limits what others can do with their programming of applications that get put into my phone. Android is way too open, which makes the phone much more prone to malware, hacking, and hidden collection of your personal information. Of course, some of the latter does happen on iOS phones, but the Apple Store apps that get loaded onto my phone are generally pretty safe from malware. Nothing is perfectly safe these days, but iPhones are much safer than the open architecture of Androids. I know the open architecture of Android sounds like a good idea, but Give me an iPhone because I know it will work great and I can trust it will be safe from malware and hacking.

Microsoft has been moving toward Apple’s closed model to increase their security systems, and it’s been working. Windows 11 is going to be even more closed, and more secure.

Having purchased my first PC clone in 1987, and supported Microsoft products ever since, I guess you could say I’m partial to them too. Years ago I did some work with Unix, played around a little with Linux, even worked some with Vax VMS in 1990. Supporting small businesses for the past 25 years I’ve had to work with my share of iOS devices (computers, laptops, tablets, and phones) as well as android devices. Although, like I said, I’m partial to Microsoft PCs, I still consider myself to be somewhat computer agnostic. I do lean toward Microsoft for PCs only because of cost and availability of software tools. Like I said, I’m agnostic, they all suck.

If you use iTunes and iCloud on your PC then you should be able to share, view, and add photos from there, I believe. I wouldn’t want Androids to have any write permissions for anything that might get sync’d back to, and be opened by, an iPhone.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

garys wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:34 pm0
Agree 100%. Apple fans shouldn't feel bad though because I have this same opinion of almost every producer of computer hardware and software.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

edma194 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:24 pm
I have this same opinion of almost every producer of computer hardware and software.
Ed, I completely agree with you there. That’s why I’m working with wood and on a ShopSmith 10ER. Finally finding some peace. :)

But please don’t mistake me for an Apple fan, I find the few positives where I can, and in the battle against hackers and malware, and in the interest of personal data privacy, I recognize that some restrictions are required.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)