Chad
Platinum Member

Why Did I Buy So Many Worx Tools? Review and Description

Post by Chad »

20.jpg
20.jpg (18.02 KiB) Viewed 2955 times

woodshop nerdery

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/jTKOwgs1wrY

I share my thoughts on nine Worx tools. I purchased these tools with my own money and have used them around my own house and for my woodworking hobby for sometime.

Please share your Worx tools experience in the comments.
Chad
Platinum Member

Woodworking Dust Collector Tested: 800 CFM Really? Does it Matter?

Post by Chad »

21.jpg
21.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 2921 times

woodshop nerdery

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/IeXHpUmrNVM

Shop Fox w1727 Dust Collector tested with an anemometer. This is not a video about the mathematics of air flow calculations or the science of particle filtering. I show the real world performance and realistic application of a small shop dust collection system.
Chad
Platinum Member

Window Planter Boxes for Shed: Learning New Skills on My Shopsmith

Post by Chad »

22.jpg
22.jpg (17.09 KiB) Viewed 2879 times

woodshop nerdery

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/gpvXjI6ceag

Shopsmith Over Table Routing - Building DIY Window Planter Boxes is an Opportunity to Experiment with New Techniques.
Chad
Platinum Member

Necklace Bust & Bracelet Stand: Woodworking Project on a Shopsmith

Post by Chad »

23.jpg
23.jpg (15.55 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

woodshop nerdery

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/rvwmBTo921w

Making a necklace bust and bracelet stands out of birdseye and other maple boards.
In addition to my Shopsmith tools, I also use my new-to-me Zyliss Profi-King vise for the first time
woodshopnerdery
Silver Member

Re: woodshop nerdery youtube channel

Post by woodshopnerdery »

Chad, thanks for posting my videos here. That is great I didn't even realize you were doing this. I have not paid enough attention to this forum. I guess Facebook is the squeaky wheel from an alerts and notifications sense.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"Facebook" is the "in" place, this is the "better" place.

Yes knowledgeable nerds are present here.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Dust Collector Testing Re-Do: Should I Upgrade to a Canister Filter?

Post by Chad »

24.jpg
24.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 2720 times

woodshop nerdery

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/mm6Cn_O1r8k

Using a Particulate Sensor and Pitot Tube/Manometer to ask more questions about my dust collection system.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my 2.5 micron OEM felt filter bag to a 1 micro or better pleated canister style filter. Canister style filters are supposed to restore air flow to the system and prevent the smaller dust particles from passing through the filter and creating an air quality issue. But does my system have these problems? Is the current air flow inadequate? Is the air in my garage workshop filled with small dust particles? Maybe not!

Original video - https://youtu.be/IeXHpUmrNVM
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Interesting video. More small 0.3 micron particles outside in fresh air than when using the belt sander insider connected to an underpowered dust collector with a 2.5 micron filter bag and a homemade ambient air cleaner. I would have thought the inside air would have been worse. Makes me wonder whether the bigger dust collector, finer filter media race is perhaps a losing proposition.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

algale wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:14 pm Interesting video. More small 0.3 micron particles outside in fresh air than when using the belt sander insider connected to an underpowered dust collector with a 2.5 micron filter bag and a homemade ambient air cleaner. I would have thought the inside air would have been worse. Makes me wonder whether the bigger dust collector, finer filter media race is perhaps a losing proposition.
I have done similar tests myself in the past. Sometimes outdoor air is cleaner than in my shop and other times it is the opposite. Bottomline is it depends on where you live because outdoor air pollution in this particulate size includes smog, diesel exhaust, tobacco smoke, soot, etc. It also varies a lot day to day and hour by hour. When landscapers run their leafblowers nearby my outdoor air quality is through the roof, but my indoor levels are significantly lower. His argument of the outdoors being his baseline is NOT a good argument. Many of us strive to have cleaner IAQ than what is outdoors since most of us spend the majority of our time indoors and we live in a polluted area. Whether or not someone wants to spend the money on a HEPA cartridge filter is dependent on their bank account and how much they value their own health and lungs. A HEPA cartridge filter WILL have greater collection efficiency in the 0.3um particle range than a bag filter.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Chad
Platinum Member

Woodworking Clamps Lost Secret: Or Marketing Gimmick?

Post by Chad »

25.jpg
25.jpg (18.72 KiB) Viewed 2628 times

woodshop nerdery

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/NY25vY8EQKo

Clamping technique rediscovered from a 1980s Shopsmith magazine advertisement. Does it work, or is it just marketing eye candy?

Video I test out two alternate techniques for clamping workpieces using my Shopsmith Double Bar Clamps. This type of clamp is also sometimes call four-way pressure clamps or panel clamps.

Can these Double Bar Clamps be re-purposed as regular bar clamps or even be configured as a veneer press? I answer these question in this video.