10e owner, new to forum, what to do with the unit

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rrr10eowner
Bronze Member

10e owner, new to forum, what to do with the unit

Post by rrr10eowner »

I have happily owned a 10e for nearly 25 years when I got it from my wife's grandfather. It has done lots of projects for me over the years
But I am at a crossroads. I just came into ownership of a very newer model with very low mileage.
My 10e works fairly well. Wobble in the head stock bearing due to age so not real good for fine work. But still a work horse.
But should I keep it? I really shouldn't have the floor space in the shop used up with it and the new one.
But then again, it has all the attachments except the scroll saw.

Thoughts?

Andy
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: 10e owner, new to forum, what to do with the unit

Post by edma194 »

Do you have a lower saw guard? That seems to be worth more than the rest of the machine to some people.

If you turn it up on end, stand and all, it takes up only a little space in the corner. If you remove or fold up the legs, or do something else with the stand it takes even less space.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rrr10eowner
Bronze Member

Post by rrr10eowner »

Mine actually is on the full fixed legs that Grandpa put on wheels and boxed in. Its a nice bench. Yes, I have the saw guard.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Well first read this thread about the saw guard:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26196

Then maybe you can sell it to one of those guys and buy some more space, or a few pieces of lumber.

If it looks really good, and you have all the tough to find parts you could get some decent money for the machine. Around here you can always get a 10ER for $150, but usually not in great condition. I'd try to keep it somehow, but I'm a little crazy and have too many machines.

I assume the new machine you have is a Mark V/Model 500 or better. Get that set up and operating before you do anything. Also, I've seen photos of 10E and ERs bolted to the wall to make a dedicated drill press.

Finally, go to the following thread and click on the red Google Drive link in the first post. Find the 10E and 10ER folder and the 10ER survey document. You can find a lot of info about your machine there.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16113
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Headstock bearings are easily replaced.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Andy,

If you can spare 10 square feet of floor space in your shop I say keep it. Not only is it still a useful tool but likely has some sentimental value being handed down in the family. Depending on which accessories you have with it, it can add additional value to your shop. If you have a Speed Changer the Model 10E and 10ER actually has a wider speed range than the Mark V. With the speed changer or even without it some have turned theirs into a dedicated Drill Press. Without the Speed Changer it still has 7 speeds which is equal to or better than a lot of Drill Presses. As a dedicated Drill Press it would take up less shop space. As you may have noticed I am trying to give you some justifications to keep it.

As JPG said the bearings can be replaced. One of our Forum members, hogwinslow1960 on ebay sells a set of 4 bearings to replace both the quill and drive sleeve bearings for less than 50 dollars + shipping. The OEM Fafnir brand bearings can still be found but do cost more.

edma194 asked about the lower saw guard and you said "Yes, I have the saw guard." Do you mean the Upper Saw Blade Guard the attaches with a screw to the back of the table or do you really have a Lower Saw Guard as shown in the picture below?

_
10ER Lower Guard.jpg
10ER Lower Guard.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 755 times
_
As a lower saw blade guard it is not a very good one but isn't very common either. For a better Saw Guard combination for the Model 10's I use the upper and lower metal set made for the Mark 5 part numbers 505627 and 505628.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
rrr10eowner
Bronze Member

Post by rrr10eowner »

You folks have been great. I'm coming around to the idea of keeping it.
If I turn it upright as a drill press, I can build tool storage cabinets over the back half of the rolling stand, so I feel better about the space.

Oh no, I don't have that lower part. I have a fence guard over the top
Heck Mine is missing the cover that protects the Belts!
WOW look at those shiny rails! I feel so negligent.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

rrr10eowner wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:03 pm You folks have been great. I'm coming around to the idea of keeping it.
If I turn it upright as a drill press, I can build tool storage cabinets over the back half of the rolling stand, so I feel better about the space.

Oh no, I don't have that lower part. I have a fence guard over the top
Heck Mine is missing the cover that protects the Belts!
WOW look at those shiny rails! I feel so negligent.
You can also shorten the bench and save a lot of space.
Attachments
DSCF0999.jpg
DSCF0999.jpg (118.03 KiB) Viewed 737 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

John's is a great example of turning it into a dedicated Drill Press and more like I was referring to. It takes up less floor space. Note that his has the Speed Changer and a couple additions with the attached dust collection tube and a an original gooseneck lamp to light the workspace. If you want more storage you could make a storage stand for it instead of using the original shopsmith metal bench ends as John did.

To help give you some ideas on planning to make your Shopsmith into a dedicated Drill Press check out the 1st edition of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone. The section on the Drill Press starts on page 77 in the printed book and a PDF version can be found at the link below with the Drill Press section starting on page 92.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... itUlMDt6_x
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

rrr10eowner,

Just some other thoughts, If you do make a storage bench in the original 5 foot length not only would you have more storage space but you would still be able to use your 10E for the other functions if the need arises. A feature I like is Horizontal Boring which is a Drill Press laying down. It sometimes give better control on a project and size is not limited by the distance from the Drill Chuck to the table or floor. As I like to say "If you can support it you can drill it." The picture below is a Model 10ER I purchased to restore that came on a storage bench. It has lots of storage with the cabinets and drawers.

_
10ER Storage Bench.jpg
10ER Storage Bench.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 654 times
_
Sorry I didn't get a better picture of just it without the 10ER parts all over it.
Russ

Mark V 520