Nocturnal shop visitor

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Nocturnal shop visitor

Post by reible »

Nocturnal shop visitor. Just before 12:30 last night my security camera caught this little fellow in my shop. It was right up near the camera.

https://youtu.be/Gw48wkate-A

This is not unusual this time of year. I don't mind them living out doors but they are destructive and messy when living in my garage/shop so it will have to go one way or the other.

Have the same problem in our shed, I trap them and then in the fall new ones fill in the ranks and I have to set up my trap line for a while.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Nocturnal shop visitor

Post by garys »

I keep a few packets of rodent poison on the floor around my garage. If any rodents show up, they disappear just as fast and you never know they were there. Within a few hours of chowing down on the meal I set out for them, they seem to develop a tummy ache and want to get away from the place that caused it so you never know they were there except that their "food" packets are chewed open.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

First night trap line got one. Second night another one. Last night two. Will set up again until I get a few nights with nothing. Then might as well set up the traps in the shed 'cause they will be there too.

Hate to do this but they make a mess and get into stuff that ends up having to be tossed........ and then there are the droppings.

Ed
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

reible wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:17 pm
Hate to do this but they make a mess and get into stuff that ends up having to be tossed........ and then there are the droppings.

Ed
You shoudn't "hate" to wipe them out. You should be happy doing it. Mice and other rodents carry hantavirus. If you get it in your buildings and it infects you, you are in great risk of dying from the virus. Having mice in your buildings is very dangerous and anything you can do to eliminate them is a good thing.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My trap line has been quite successful and as of this morning I have caught 20 of them.

I don't leave the traps set during the day since they don't venture out then, just at night and it appears after midnight. Since the traps are where I walk it easier to just snap them and slide them out of the way or pick them up until about 10 PM when I check the peanut butter bait and then reset them.

Turns out the sliding them out of the way was not a good idea. A bold chipmunk came in the garage(door was open) and when right over to the traps and started eating the peanut butter with in a couple of feet of me. So I shot this video which is linked in below.

Later it came back and took the traps off under some shelving and proceeded to eat the peanut butter then wreck the traps. Now it is pickup rather then leave them just laying on the floor. Three traps damaged, so I had to get another set of 4 to replace them.

https://youtu.be/IupwHoNuCbA

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Aren't rodents wonderful?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just wildlife.
bywlhabit.jpg
bywlhabit.jpg (206.06 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

As ye so, so shall thee reap.

That habitat include field mice?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If they are in the backyard or side yards or front yard but the line is drawn at being in the garage........

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So thee are the only wildlife allowed in there?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝