End of a Era

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

End of a Era

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I made this a separate discussion since it addresses a new subject.

Has anyone else seen Den of Tools announcement that they have received confirmation from Porter Cable stating Porter Cable will no longer produce Routers. Yes Porter Cable at one time manufacture of highly sought after routers is no longer in the business.
Den of Tools theory is Stanley Black and Decker owner of Dewalt, Craftsman, Porter Cable, Stanley and of course Black and Decker is eliminating Porter Cable name focusing on Craftsman. He makes this statement based on this announcement and the fact that Porter Cable cordless tools have more or less stagnated with no new updated products lately, while the Craftsman line seems to be expanding.
Thought?
garys
Platinum Member

Re: End of a Era

Post by garys »

When it comes to marketing, things seldom make sense. People who crunch numbers and others who talk BS make these decisions. Sometimes they come up with a good idea, but often, they come up with crap.
Time will tell if they are making the right decisions.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: End of a Era

Post by RFGuy »

Yeah, there was chatter last year about this, i.e. Porter Cable would stop making routers. It is sad what B&D has done to Porter Cable. I grew up watching Norm and in aspiring to be like him, I also purchased several Porter Cable woodworking tools that I still own & use. Sadly the quality has gone downhill on their products in recent years and they seemed to have stopped updating their product lines putting them in long, slow death spiral.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor