Center of Gravity for a Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Center of Gravity for a Shopsmith

Post by dusty »

I can't do this right now because I am not near a standard Shopsmith but

as you raise a fully configured Shopsmith from horizontal to vertical is there a point (60,70,80 degrees)where gravity steps in and assists that transition (ie: completes the rotation)?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Center of Gravity for a Shopsmith

Post by garys »

Probably not because the headstock never reaches 90 degrees and the tipping point.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Other than getting easier to lift as it gets closer to 90 degrees, gravity will want to pull it back down.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

For my model 520, with the table in drill-press position, the answer to Dusty's question is "yes". My machine will remain in the vertical position (with reasonable tipping stability) even if I don't engage the conical tilt-lock screw. Ergo, it had to have reached "neutral" tipping-stability at some point before it became fully vertical, after which point gravity helps complete the rotation.

I do, however, always try to remember to engage the tilt-lock screw.

Note that I do not have the double-tilt base.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 am as you raise a fully configured Shopsmith from horizontal to vertical is there a point (60,70,80 degrees)where gravity steps in and assists that transition (ie: completes the rotation)?
Yes. On the center of gravity, when I tried this morning, at about 73° is where the center of gravity took over for my Mark V when raising to vertical causing it to tip over the rest of the way into fully vertical drill press mode. Of course, I had my main table extended (for drill press mode), so I am sure this angle is dependent on where the headstock is locked down as well as the carriage and main table positions. FYI...I don't have the double-tilt base.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:07 am Other than getting easier to lift as it gets closer to 90 degrees, gravity will want to pull it back down.
Not once you reach the center of mass (aka: Center of Gravity). Where that will be is totally dependent of the mass. If this was not true, placing the Mark V in drill press mode would be hazardous and I doubt that that lock mechanism would hold it vertical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One does not 'reach a center of mass'. A center of mass reaches some point in space when moved. A tipping point is when the mass tending to alter an angle from a hinge providing support reverses direction of that tendency.

Regardless the tipping point for a SS is 15° or more away from the drill press raised location.

I wonder what that angle is for a 'reversed shorty' assembly?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm One does not 'reach a center of mass'. A center of mass reaches some point in space when moved. A tipping point is when the mass tending to alter an angle from a hinge providing support reverses direction of that tendency.

Regardless the tipping point for a SS is 15° or more away from the drill press raised location.

The way tubes are offset from the pivot point by what, about 3". In the conventional mode the center of mass is farther away from the pivot point by that amount whatever it actually is. In the reversed shorty the center of mass is closer to the pivot point by that amount. Would that not make the angle in question less?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:06 pm
JPG wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm One does not 'reach a center of mass'. A center of mass reaches some point in space when moved. A tipping point is when the mass tending to alter an angle from a hinge providing support reverses direction of that tendency.

The way tubes are offset from the pivot point by what, about 3". In the conventional mode the center of mass is farther away from the pivot point by that amount whatever it actually is. In the reversed shorty the center of mass is closer to the pivot point by that amount. Would that not make the angle in question less?
I would have to go back to the books to make a hard statement on that BUT I think no. Where the center of mass is would not effect the angle of rotation. It would play a part in determining the Center of Gravity.

From the center of the pivot pin to the center line of the Way Tubes is 5".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The reason it is different is the headstock and table are mounted reversed. I would expect tip angle to be less than 15° from 'vertical".
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange