TSO GRE-13 Guide Rail Extension

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

TSO GRE-13 Guide Rail Extension

Post by reible »

If you have the Festool 1400 rails, as in 55" ones it is still possible to cut 4 foot sheet goods but you have to watch where you position the rails so the saw is still supported on both ends of the run. Here they sell you a 13+ inch section of rail with connectors to make your life a little easier.

https://tsoproducts.com/accessories/gre ... extension/

A little pricey at $75. Then what ever shipping is.......

As of now you have to get the rail and the connectors together and I already have the connectors so I think I will look at another option.

I have a 1080 rail that is damaged (not as careful as I should have been). It is 46" rail that is used on the MFT and while it still works it would be nice to have it replaced. I noticed I can get a replacement for $110, free shipping, but tax. I could then cut up my old one and have at least 2 good smaller 14" extensions. Kind of leaning on that idea. Might have to do a little cleaning up where the saw cuts the track but other then that I don't see anything that could be an issue.

Could make the 14" a different length but for the moment I don't see any other size that makes sense, but that could change.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
claimdude
Gold Member

Re: TSO GRE-13 Guide Rail Extension

Post by claimdude »

Ed,

I have looked at that as well. I also have a couple of off cuts from previous guide rail purchase. Cutting a 14" is a good plan. I already have a pair of the TSO connectors. Thanks Ed!

Jack
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks guys. I was wondering how this product was a value add to a customer. I guess I didn't realize that some MFT users might go with the 1080 track to be a better fit for the MFT size, even though it isn't wide enough to crosscut a standard sheet of plywood. TSO is only selling one length (13") in order to market the product as being able to fit in the systainer with the saw. It is a good selling point, but I would have thought they might offer the option of other lengths, but then how is what TSO selling any better/different than just getting the track directly from Festool?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Makita makes a 39" rail for shorter cuts. I like it for anything less than about 30". Combined with the 55" rail makes a 6 1/2' cut easy and a 7' cut possible. This allows for some angled cuts on a 5' panel.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-39-i ... /307835331
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The MFT3 "kit" comes with the 1080 rail. The saw I got came with the 1400 rail. I purchased a second 1400 rail and the inline connectors from festool then went with version one of the connectors from TSO. They were a disappointment and I ended up having to purchase the newer version, which work great just wish they would have taken the version 1's back as a trade in....

In addition I have an 800 rail that I like for shorter cuts.

I can see cutting up my damaged rail and making a 13-5/8" one and sticking that in with the saw and then at a later time I can decide if I want yet another size from what is left of the rail minus the damaged section.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

New rail came in and I cut the old one to give me a short section of track. This is basely what TSO sells.
shorttrack.jpg
shorttrack.jpg (209.6 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Just for reference these are the two connectors I have, the revision A and C. A top view shows that they look pretty much a like.
topaandc.jpg
topaandc.jpg (231.43 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
From the bottom it is another story
bottomaandc.jpg
bottomaandc.jpg (212.86 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Ed