Hi there!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Hi there!

Post by HopefulSSer »

I didn't see a specific introduction subforum so I hope it's ok to post here.

I'm in NC and just bagged this 1960 Mk V, my first SS. I got at least some of the accessories, but I don't yet know what all it should have come with, nor have I inventoried the box & bag of stuff that came with.

It's obviously going to need some cleanup & TLC but I think it's basically sound. It spins up and the speed control works. The quill is a little sticky but I'm guessing that's old, hardened grease.

I'm excited to get started with it!

One question -- what's the little table thing on the floor beside the box?
Attachments
IMG_6264.jpeg
IMG_6264.jpeg (472.19 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Re: Hi there!

Post by HopefulSSer »

Aha! Miter gauge extension!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I believe that it is an extension for the main table. It attaches to the front of the table in line with the miter gauge slot to support the miter gauge when making wide cuts.
Bill V
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I also use it for added support for longer boards when ripping. It can move along the table and doesn’t need to be lined up with the miter slot if you are not using the miter gauge. I just finished using mine a few minutes ago to rip 29 1/2” long strips of plywood 6” wide.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

HopefulSSer wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:45 pm the little table thing on the floor beside the box?

And...if you can find a second one, you can use both, one on the machine's main table and one on the auxiliary table, to support the Shopsmith sliding cross-cut table, thereby adding significantly to the width of work that can be cross-cut.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If considering a getting a second one, realize it comes in two versions. The older version which I assume(bad assumption - see below) you have and a newer version which is for the newer table rip fence rails that are attached rather than cast in like your tables. The newer one CAN be adjusted to work with either version. Most sellers on E-Bay have not a clue about the two versions. If the E-Bay pix is different in the clamp, then it is the newer(bad again) version. Yours resembles a hook(not likely). The newer ones have two flat areas.

P.S. the upper rear drive shaft hub is mounted backwards.

See next two posts
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Congratulations on your new to you Shopsmith.

As JPG notes above there is the early Miter Extension that only attaches to tables with the fence rail cast on. Later tables have the fence rail as a separate piece that bolts on, like yours, thereby needing a longer reach for the clamp of the Miter Extension. Your Miter Extension, if it fits, is the later version. If you look at purchasing another make sure it has the longer two step clamp. The picture below shows the early clamp to compare to yours. Note it has a single holding point just barely visible next to the attachment flange and has a shorter reach.

_
Front Table Extension V1 bottom.jpg
Front Table Extension V1 bottom.jpg (176.35 KiB) Viewed 3682 times
A bit of TLC on your Mark 5 will help. Cleaning it up including removing that surface rust from the way tubes will help. Getting the Way Tubes (the ones the Headstock and Carriage are on) polished and than waxed will make sliding the Headstock and Carriage much easier. I hope you received an Owner's Manual with it but if not there is a PDF short version of the most recent Mark V Model 500 manual available from right here on the Shopsmith website at the link below. Even if you have the original Owner's Manual there is more information in this Summary Manual than yours has and is worth checking out. Although this Manual was written much later than your Mark 5 was made only a few changes occurred but the maintenance and operations are the same for the Model 500 and yours. Unless your Greenie has been updated the biggest change would be going from the Gilmer Drive to the Poly V Drive. That is a different upper belt and related parts. The HP of the Motor changed too.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf

The Mark 5 Greenie was the original Mark 5 that was introduced in March 1954. Much later in 1985 Shopsmith Inc. introduced a new larger table system for the Mark V which was the Models 510 and 505. The original table system of the Mark 5 and Mark V became the Model 500. The Mark 5 became the Mark V in 1980 and was simply a change from the number 5 to the Roman Numeral V. If you are interested in more on the history and changes to the Mark 5 see it at the Shopsmith Forum link below.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24963

From what I see your Greenie is a later one but the Serial Number would tell when it was made. As you go through box of what came with it feel free to ask any questions about items. Just like with the Miter Extension we can help. Getting to know your Mark 5 will make it enjoyable to use and you will find just how versatile it really is.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well I have now learned my new thing fer today. Late greenies came with new rip fence rail on the main table.

So thee likely has the new miter gauge slot extension.

Getting a second one needs to also be a newer version.(It CAN be adjusted to work on the cast in rail of the aux table).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

First, HopefullSSuser, congrats to you. I bought a Greenie back in the early 90s and started my Shopsmith adventures from there. Despite it's age an awful lot of that machine is no different than the top of the line Mark 7s being sold now. You should have a lot of fun cleaning that up and using it.

I didn't know about the 2 extension types either. I have two of those on the shelf, have to take a look at them. Haven't used one since I moved out my old Greenie along with what must have an old type of the extension. Seemed pointless when I got it, and then one day I had to cut a wide board and it all made sense. The two I have came with machines I bought for parts. I have a 500 table on my drill press right now, soon to be upgraded to a 510 main table though, but it would have been useful for support on long boards. My sanding shorty has a 500 table and the extension could be useful for disk and drum sanding on larger boards. An infeed extension can be done with the newer table systems but it's not at all as quick and easy to do as with that little device for the 500 tables.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Thanks everyone!

Per the serial number it was made in 1960. I've spent the day totally disassembling, cleaning, and adjusting the headstock. Someone has been in there before (no big surprise given its age) -- I can tell because the power cord has been replaced (and they didn't wire up the ground wire, nor did they remove the old ground wire cut from the prior cord), the switch was miswired, and there are a few minor parts missing (e.g. the tension spring for the speed control dial). Everything that is supposed to be oiled was gummed up, and everything that wasn't was packed with sawdust. The motor was basically sitting in a full pan of dust. You can guess how much got into it. I'm guessing the PO didn't pay much attention to maintenance.

The way tubes are cleaned and waxed and everything seems to run much better.

One bonehead noob mistake -- I cracked the way tie bar by overtightening the grub screw. Bummer, but they're still available and inexpensive....

The box in the pic contains 4 saw blades (3 have arbors), some lathe tools, and the toolpost. The SS bag contains a bunch of molding knives that fit nothing that come with the greenie. There are also a couple of chucks and tail centers. If I want to turn anything (and I do!) I guess I'll need a drive center or three, maybe a 3- or 4-jaw chuck as well. I realized I did not get a rip fence, though the man I got it from (PO's son) says if he finds any more parts for it he'll let me know...