Portable generators

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Portable generators

Post by JPG »

Power is a work X time entity.

Peak infers instantaneous.

Maximum implies design limit(usually infers a short time).

Since there is no standard way of determining any of those, their usefulness is limited.

Take em with a ton of salt.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DavidMcM
Gold Member

Post by DavidMcM »

Standard generators need to run at a constant RPM whereas inverter generators throttle up and down based on load. When my Honda EU2200i inverter generator is not seeing much demand, it throttles way down - which uses at lot less fuel and is much quieter. Inverter generators also typically produce much cleaner power than standard generators. You can read a good explanation at the link below.

https://www.consumerreports.org/inverte ... enerators/
thewood
Bronze Member

Post by thewood »

Thanks for sharing informations
Borey
Bronze Member

Post by Borey »

What if someone don't have Honda?
Borey
Bronze Member

Post by Borey »

HopefulSSer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:56 pm
edma194 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:47 pm Dual fuel. More efficient with gasoline but I don't want to keep a lot of gasoline around. Have to check on the gasoline requirements, the regular gas around here has ethanol and so many additives in it that it ruins small engines. I only have a chainsaw and lawnmower left to keep gasoline for and I wouldn't mind going battery on those.

I'll check out the Hondas.
FWIW the only piece of equipment that's had issues with the E10 we get around here is my old JD garden tractor. The ethanol dissolved the fuel hose inside the tank. But that's the only part it affected on the tractor, and nothing else has had issues. The JD is the oldest I have (1984), the second oldest being the generator (Generac, purchased new ca. 1999). I don't know if the age of the machine has anything to do with it.... Also, most (all?) of the fuel lines on everything have been replaced over time as they perished so that probably helps.

I've never owned a Honda generator but I've been around them and they are MUCH quieter than my B&S-powered one!
I also never used Honda, I beleive in DuroMax XP10000EH, which is designed to supply power to your home or work site. This powerful unit features DuroMax 18 HP, 440CC OHV engine, ensuring its performance is at the peak. The best generator should offer plenty of power to provide better results. DuroMax XP10000EH is no exception. Its design is a combination of versatility, power, and durability. With 10,000 staring watts and 8,000 running watts, this machine can handle heavy loads from the refrigerator, lights, to home air conditioners, and other high amp power appliances. For ultimate performance, the unit is designed with MX2 technology, ensuring you get maximum power from each 120V. You can either choose between operating the generator at both 240V and 120V concurrently. Alternatively, you can decide to run it at 120V only with full power.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The post above may be spam but I ended up getting a Duromax XP13000EH. It was the largest dual fuel generator I could find for a reasonable price. It's rated for 10,500 watts steady and 13,500 watts peak. I have learned that it's a good idea to cut those numbers in half. First of all, it can't delivery that on propane, just with gasoline. Peak wattage is very difficult to determine so just have to avoid it. This will do fine to power the sump pumps, the oil burner, the fridge, and some lights. Other devices can be powered cautiously.

Have to set this up to test it, might not have time before Christmas. Putting up a shed to house this, need to get the base down while the weather is still unseasonably warm.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:13 pm The post above may be spam but I ended up getting a Duromax XP13000EH. It was the largest dual fuel generator I could find for a reasonable price. It's rated for 10,500 watts steady and 13,500 watts peak. I have learned that it's a good idea to cut those numbers in half. First of all, it can't delivery that on propane, just with gasoline...
That's pretty interesting. What do you have to do to switch between fuel types/sources?

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

DLB wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:10 pm That's pretty interesting. What do you have to do to switch between fuel types/sources?

- David
There is a dial with 3 settings, propane, storage, and gasoline. There is a simple procedure to use when switching between fuels, after I've had time to consume and digest the manual I'll follow up with details.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

FWIW a whole house propane generator might be less expensive with less maintenance ? just install a couple 100lb cylinders and it should last you a week or so depending on the size of unit. our neighbor had a natural gas generator installed , it has saved his bacon all ready , we lost power during a storm , he had power and his sump pump was able to keep running . I would assume they make propane models . I like the idea of multi fuel units but would be concerned about the maintenance , fuel filters and such .JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Back in the beginning of the thread I made a brief mention of the long lead time to get a whole house generator installed. There is a shortage of equipment and installers and 6 to 9 months was the last estimate I got, and I'm not sure I want to go with the guy who claims he can get it done faster than everyone else.

Using a portable generator like this costs way less than a whole house system which is on the list of future possibilities. Should I upgrade I would still find good use for this portable unit to power welders, which it will be doing pretty soon. I'll add an electrical panel to my welding shop inside a storage container with outlets and breakers for the differing current demands. Up to now I've been taking my chances with a single 50 amp breaker for the different devices.
Ed from Rhode Island