How to Fix Pictures Before Posting

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

How to Fix Pictures Before Posting

Post by db5 »

SASman posted pictures that were upside down because he didn't know how to turn them. If you use Windows 10 here is the easy solution to dealing with all sorts of picture problems.

Once you have saved your pictures in a folder click on the first one and it should open in your photo editor. You can either use the icons at the top or right click to get a pull-down menu. I use the right click button because I can rotate, the edit (crop, resize, etc.). Save it and post it.
Attachments
Pic 1.PNG
Pic 1.PNG (26.83 KiB) Viewed 688 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: How to Fix Pictures Before Posting

Post by dusty »

Thank You, Thank You

I guess it has been there all the time but ....
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

If you're on a Mac, the process is similar. Open the pic in Preview and click the icon in the menu bar that is the "box with the little arrow" to rotate the pic 90º counterclockwise. Repeat as necessary. Option-clicking it rotates the pic clockwise. Save and post.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 5.35.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 5.35.06 PM.png (48.98 KiB) Viewed 657 times

If the pic is too big, click the "Tools" menu and then "Adjust size..." Play with the percentage you like but I find 25% (i.e. 75% reduction) is fine. Again, save and post.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I use Microsoft Office 2010 Picture Manager. We were able to buy MS Office when I was a Federal Government employee for $10. The only program I still use from MS Office is the Picture Manager. It is very simple to use. Rotate, crop, color correction, resize etc.. There are several preset resize options. I use the 1024 X 768 option all the time.

99% of the time if the picture is rotated correctly in the Picture Manager it will be OK on the forum. I still usually do a preview of the post to check. If it shows up wrong I know how to rotate it to fix it on the forum.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

jsburger wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:06 pm I still usually do a preview of the post to check. If it shows up wrong I know how to rotate it to fix it on the forum.
Very important point!
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I use Linux on my computers. It comes with a picture viewer that rotates the pictures as needed. Also, Linux comes with Gimp for "photoshop like" capabilities for any other manipulating you want to do so getting the size and orientation I need is very easy. I haven't yet encountered a picture from my computers that show up wrong on the forum.