Looking for suggestion

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wrmnfzy
Platinum Member

Looking for suggestion

Post by wrmnfzy »

Due to some medical conditions I’m looking to get a battery powered screw gun that is light weight but still a good tool. I am no longer able to hold my two current ones up when working shoulder high and higher for any amount of time.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for suggestion

Post by dusty »

wrmnfzy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:29 pm Due to some medical conditions I’m looking to get a battery powered screw gun that is light weight but still a good tool. I am no longer able to hold my two current ones up when working shoulder high and higher for any amount of time.
I have two DeWalts that were purchased for that same reason. I like mine. Much, much lighter.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

I have a Milwaukee 12V (M12) drill / driver that I like for it's lightness, as compared to my Makita 12V Ni-Cad. Not only is the tool smaller, but the Lithium Ion battery is much smaller and lighter.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A 'manual' screwdriver is typically much much lighter than a drill/driver with batteries.

I have not(yet) understood the mindset that thinks of drill/driver before an old timey screw driver.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:07 am A 'manual' screwdriver is typically much much lighter than a drill/driver with batteries.

I have not(yet) understood the mindset that thinks of drill/driver before an old timey screw driver.
Would you use an old timey screw driver to sheet rock a ceiling or a wall?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Based on my experiences with well-meant gifts, avoid the inexpensive electric screwdrivers with built-in batteries. I imagine those are 6V or less.

Are you using large batteries with your current tools, that maybe you could lighten enough with smaller batteries? Maybe combined with a brushless driver that might be lighter than a brushed one?

I have an older Makita 10V (later labeled as 12V) drill and driver set that I still use occasionally. It is enough lighter to make a difference when working in awkward situations. Despite being only 12V, they are plenty powerful; when I first got them, I drove 3" #10 screws into pressure treated 4x4, no predrilling, could bury the head well into the wood. The battery/tool style has been replace with, I think, the current style of 12V CXT.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

algale wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:12 am
JPG wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:07 am A 'manual' screwdriver is typically much much lighter than a drill/driver with batteries.

Would you use an old timey screw driver to sheet rock a ceiling or a wall?
I have been known to do so for small pieces. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I use the Bosch 12V drill driver and impact driver. They are surprisingly powerful for their size and I've found no need to go back to the heavier guns.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

What kind of screw gun are we talking about here, wrmnfuzy? Drill with clutch? Impact driver? Manually-loaded power screwdriver? Magazine-fed power screwdriver?

My wife is pushing hard for a lot of new flooring throughout our house, and the 30 year old subflooring is mighty squeaky. So I'm going to screw it all down real good before any new flooring goes on top. On the extreme opposite end of the spectrum from JPG, I'll be wanting a magazine-fed screwdriver with an extension for that job. One that can drive a screw every couple of seconds, and can be used while standing up.

Your post reminded me that I needed to research magazine-fed screwdrivers, so I did it last night. I'm leaning toward the one below. It might actually be cheaper to buy it than to rent one, and certainly a lot more convenient. Retail prices on this one range from $200 to $250, and it has great reviews.

senco-6w0011n-screw-systems-1.jpg
senco-6w0011n-screw-systems-1.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well we have 'moved' from simple driving of screws through dry wall and now flooring. What next??? :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝