:: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: :: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Post by algale »

docmirror wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:23 pm Sadly, on Castor I do not have that little post/penis thing,
Maybe Castor is Castora?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Idler shaft bearings the same as quill bearing. (6202-10 rr) == 5/8" id x 35mm od x 11mm width and rubber seals) X 2 bearings/shaft.

FWIW I think of it as an arrow!!!! The end more closely resembles an arrow point. :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Castor been castrated? muuuuuuaahahhahahahhaaa! Russ said it's a 520 carriage, my guess is the 520 doesn't have the post/penis/arrow shaft and latch setup. I had a brilliant idea while I was working on my 1959 Ford tractor. In the back where the three point hitch goes is a top link. It's threaded with one end right hand and the other left hand so it can get longer or shorter as needed for the implement. I might try to use a lightweight top link for the drill press that I can easily spin up or down attaching to the bottom of the table/carriage and the frame below. It could be on a clevis so if needed can be removed completely. This will also provide added support for heavy stock that I'm drilling and pressing down on with the quill.

I just ordered four 6202-10RR for Pollux. Hoping the Mark VII doesn't give me any grief on that. Hey, I was thinking, I could swap headstock motor and get the blower setup on Castor. Wondering if the motor will come out with the headstock on the ways? When I'm in there doing bearings would be a good time to swap if it's not too hard. Really want a vac system on Castor. I might call SS on Mon and see if they have a motor lying around and the vac hardware maybe hidden in a closet in the janitor shack. Maybe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The motor and pan are secured with 4 or five screws. The belt cover needs to be slid back. IIRC, THE SWITCH AND POWER CORD GO WITH IT.

I predict they will say a Mark VII ?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As JPG predicts if you call Shopsmith and ask for parts specific to a Mark VII they are going to ask Mark VII what???? Then they will ask do you mean Mark 7? Which you do not. Remember the Mark VII was last made in the 1960's and not only by a different company than the current makers of the Shopsmith tools but in a different location with several moves in-between.

I do have to ask why do you want a working dust collection system on Castor since it is going to mostly be a Drill Press for metal? I would understand if you were going to use it for woodworking but sucking up hot metal fragments will only tear up the impeller. As someone who restores Shopsmith back to as new as possible I would want to have all the original parts working but for actual use, I would not want metal going into a dust collection system.

As for your comment about the lowest speed available the Speed Reducer may be the answer and JPG might know if it can be used on the Mark VII. I believe it could but am not positive. That would give you a 7:1 speed reduction.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Speed reducer oughta work. Way/bench tube spacing the same as is the quill fitting.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The only possible difference I thought there could be is the height of the Spindle/Quill above the Way Tubes not being the same as a Mark 5/V.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:15 pm The only possible difference I thought there could be is the height of the Spindle/Quill above the Way Tubes not being the same as a Mark 5/V.

That be the same also.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

chapmanruss wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:07 pm As JPG predicts if you call Shopsmith and ask for parts specific to a Mark VII they are going to ask Mark VII what???? Then they will ask do you mean Mark 7? Which you do not. Remember the Mark VII was last made in the 1960's and not only by a different company than the current makers of the Shopsmith tools but in a different location with several moves in-between.

I do have to ask why do you want a working dust collection system on Castor since it is going to mostly be a Drill Press for metal? I would understand if you were going to use it for woodworking but sucking up hot metal fragments will only tear up the impeller. As someone who restores Shopsmith back to as new as possible I would want to have all the original parts working but for actual use, I would not want metal going into a dust collection system.

As for your comment about the lowest speed available the Speed Reducer may be the answer and JPG might know if it can be used on the Mark VII. I believe it could but am not positive. That would give you a 7:1 speed reduction.
:D I'll call em just to confuse them. hehehe. I wouldn't be picking up hot swarf with the built in vac, and - having seen the 'quality' of the impeller you are spot on that it would be reduced to junk in short order. But - after it's cooled I try to keep a clean floor. Despite some pics showing leaves in the hangar, I do keep a pretty clean shop. FOD and aircraft bits don't mix well. I have a large shop vac now, but any added vac facility near the tool would be quite helpful so I don't have to get the big barrel vac out, and then put it away. More-over, if I have something that is supposed to work, I would like it to work fully, and not just half-assed. SS back in the 60s touted the MK VII as having a vac system built in, so darn-it, want it to work as designed.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Dust Collection built into the Mark VII has everything going through the impeller before being deposited in the bin. Any metal or other "stuff" besides wood dust being picked up will damage the impeller. Even properly used it will wear over time. It is simply not made for shop cleanup kind of work. The Shop Vac deposits what is picked up directly in the container before it can travel through the filter and impeller.
Russ

Mark V 520