:: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: :: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Post by JPG »

ooh - I "found" this viewtopic.php?p=196725#p196725

P.S. Only the front way tube has the rack.

If you intend to use the 510 table make sure the gear rack will not interfere with the table positioning(carriage again). I do not think it will, but thee may have some atypical needs.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

docmirror wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:33 pm A-yup. I see it now. The traversing wheel on the carriage is on the opposite side from the controls on headstock. When the carriage was put on by the PO, he put it on backwards. Gonna hafta swap that when I put the racks on the ways on Castor. Pollux has the proper orientation of carriage.

Yes, will get 4 track bits for the ways to do both tubes.

Nomenclature; note the 'carriage' on SS would be the 'tailstock' on a metal lathe, and the 'tailstock' on a SS would be a 'steady rest' on a metal lathe. I'm a metal guy in a wood world.
I am confused. :confused:

The carriage on a metal lathe holds the cutting tools. The carriage on a SS holds the tool rest for the cutting tools in lathe mode. It also holds the table in saw mode.

The tail stock on a metal lathe can hold a drill chuck or a center for support. The tail stock on a SS does the exact same thing. The difference is that the tail stock on a metal lathe slides on the ways and the SS tail stock does not. The carriage in both tools slides on the ways.

Is this not correct?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am confused how the 510 table got mounted so it pivots 90° in the reverse direction?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:18 pm I am confused how the 510 table got mounted so it pivots 90° in the reverse direction?
Rotate the table support tubes 180°???
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That would explain it. I am however dubious.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

docmirror,

Don't worry about the nomenclature. If you spend enough time with us, we will convert you. :D

As you progress with this project you will have to decide which carriage and table system to use. That may affect the use of the racks for adjusting the headstock. The carriage for the 510/505 table system on Castor is not designed to travel over those racks whereas the Mark VII carriage is. Another feature of the Mark VII table system is the extension table is designed to extend directly off the main table giving you a larger work surface. Of course, one of the features of the Mark V 510 table system is expanded table surfaces with the floating tables and the connector tubes. Both table systems can have more than just the main table's surface area to work on.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Another day, another Drachma! Or, Sestertius? hehe. Big news is - Pollux spins. Yessiree bob, she's a runner now. I read up on the 10 hour and 25 hour maint service for the Mark V, presuming it applies to my setup and cleaned up things, and lubed the intermediate shaft oil hole, and the motor shaft inside the sheave spring. That lower sheave was pretty sticky on the motor shaft. Now it glides like butter. I tightened the V belt and followed the instructions to mount the sanding disk then manually move the quill while changing the speed dial down to slow setting. Then, after that I left the V belt very loose to give it a chance to spin the motor without loading the quill.

At first, I popped a breaker a couple times, then I decided to plug it direct into the wall outlet and get rid of the 25ft ext cord. Made significant difference in kicking the inrush current to the motor. The quill gradually picked up speed and I let it run for a bit until I heard squealing, and shut it off. I diagnosed the squeal to the vacuum blower shaft. Now, I gotta be honest here - the vac system on the Mark VII is not of the same quality materials and workmanship as the rest of the machine. However, with a few minutes of care and feeding I got it snugged up and it blows, or sucks, or well I guess it does both. Still have to go back and do some work on the plastic bits with JB Weld but it's functional.

After snugging up the V belt with the eccentric, and running it some more - I noticed some bearing noise that wasn't present in Castor. It appears there's some bearing replacement in my future with Pollux. The ways cleaned up a bit, and I greased the headstock traverse system. Strangely, on Pollux the carriage has no traverse wheel adjust. All it has is the pinch lock handle and the carriage slides free on the ways. The carriage setup that is on Pollux is smaller and lighter than the setup on Castor, and the table is also smaller. As Russ notes, the table on Castor is pretty big, and nice. More on that later.

A few bearings, some more cleaning on the ways, and a bit of rust removal and Pollux will be ready for prime time. The quill seems to be in good shape, so my guess is that intermediate shaft will need bearings.
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Castor has been put into service as a drill press. Meaning - I made holes in metal with it. After fixing some tools to fix a tool so I could fix this tool, I got some quality time with Castor. Did the same 10 hour maint service as on Pollux and it responded well. Got the chuck cleaned up and used a lot of lube to get it running smooth. Put some 800 wet sandpaper on the ways and they cleaned up well. The headstock slides now, and so does the carriage after I repaired the carriage to ways pinch shaft and clamps. It was pretty stuck. Although I have a traverse handle on this carriage, of course I have no rack teeth to engage it, so changes to table height have me holding the center frame of the carriage and loosen the pinch then slide the table, and tighten the pinch handle. Not exactly handy, but it works. I quickly learned the best thing to do is leave the table up high near the chuck, and let it down by gravity enough to get the work piece and drill inserted. Once done, move the table back up near the chuck.

My only minor complaints on Castor are: 1. The front shaft where the vac is supposed to mount is broken off cleanly where the shaft was grooved for the snap ring. Like I said above, the whole vac system was not up to Magna/Shopsmith standards and I can see exactly what happened there. I kinda wanted a vac on Castor, but unless I swap motors to Pollux, it's not going to happen. 2. In vertical mode, with the quill waxed well, and the friction lock fully open with no drag, the quill sags down about an inch. Hmmmm. I also note that while the depth gauge shows 4 inches of travel on the ring, I only get about 3.2 inches of travel. I will take out the quill later and see if this is a design limit or a fault.

I drilled three holes, one of them up to 5/8" dia and wished for lower speed. I can live with 700RPM, but with large bits over 5/16 I'm just going to go plenty slow. I also inventoried the acc bundle and I have no lathe centers. It's strange cuz I have lathe cutters, and the lathe tool rest but no arbor centers, or tailstock floating center. I guess I'll be ordering them with the bearing order for Pollux.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

1) There is NO carriage traverse. Manual push(A variation exists if the MVII carriage is used).

Re the table sizes: The 510(castor) table is 22"(l-r) and 17 1/2" deep. The MVII(pollux) table is 21"(l-r) and 14" deep or 19" deep with the ext table. So the MVII has potentially more surface area. In addition the left side can have "front table extensions" added for about another 6".

The handwheel on both are table traverse in/out in drill press setup.(assuming it is all there)

The quill may have a return spring issue(insufficient tension set) or possibly something worse(busted stuff). Except fer de knobs, the parts are the same as current. Be careful working on the quill shaft. Some unexpected things are there. Most important is to not let the tension spring unwind on it's own. When removing the assembly from the headstock, tie a string on the (tension/lock) end of the shaft to capture the domed washer(if not it will fall down into the bowels of the motor pan).

Keep on trucking!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

1. Aha! That - makes - a - lot - of - sense - now. So, on Pollux, I have this little post that sticks out from the carriage center toward the headstock. It has a kind of penis tapered head on it, and a notch. I let the post stick it's wick into the headstock between ways, and pull out the little red knob on the lower right, e ahora, la mesa es unido a las cabesa! Si - verdad! It all moves as a group. Which means, no need for a carriage traverse. Yes, the round knob move the table in and out, or up and down depending on orientation. When the two are conjoined with the little penis thing guess what - the blade mates proper to the slot in table. Sneaky bastages... :D :D

Sadly, on Castor I do not have that little post/penis thing, but as a drill press it's no big deal. Ebay shopping now for some lathe stuff, and trying to find the right vac hoses. Getting a set of belts for Pollux. I can't figure out from that bearing chart what bearing numbers I need for the intermediate shaft. Sigh,,,