:: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

docmirror
Gold Member

Re: :: II MK VII = I MK XIV?

Post by docmirror »

Sigh, ok - no swarf then. Is it ok that I still want it to work right? Maybe collect some dust, or Dust? I'll use my big canister vac to clean the shop.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

YA, so add a dust deputy or some other 'separator' ahead of the MVII vac input.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Well - I called Shopsmith today, talked with a nice lady. First I had to explain what a 'Shopsmith Veee Iiiii Iiii' is and not a 'Shopsmith 7'. She said ''ooooooooohhhhhhh, I have never seen one but heard about them. Asked for vac bags, and she asked if I had a PN. Why yes, yes I do and I give her the PN. She says yes, they have vac bags FOR A DC3300 dust vacuum. Lolz. I asked about a few other bits for the Mark V, and they had them or could get them. She advised ebay and that was the end of that - haveaniceday. I'm gonna take my duct hose to a vacuum place and measure the box size below see what they can do for me. And, I remember, 'no swarf'.

BTW, I found the black tubes to fit a table extension and fitted one of them. Pretty nice work surface.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

docmirror wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:55 pm . . .

BTW, I found the black tubes to fit a table extension and fitted one of them. Pretty nice work surface.
Black Tubes ???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Black pipe, about 8 inch long. Goes in the side of the table, and the knurled knob tightens down on it. Then slip a table ext on and do the same. Pretty cool. I didn't take a pic, will be down there next week and update.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Oh 3/4" iron pipe.

The MVII ext table has posts that go there. Same posts that fit into the aux table holes in the end bases.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

I have to respectfully disagree with JPG. Pipe and tube are used interchangeably, but they are not the same. The product I have is not iron it is steel and it is not used to convey liquid, or gas, and is not rated on a schedule like pipe. I'm going to stick with 'black tubes'. I used pipe when questioned, but they are definitively tubing. I've used a ton of pipe and some tubing in my career, so mixing up isn't a big deal but the ones I have are tubes.

I got Pollux apart for belts and bearings and I found the dragging problem. the intermediate shaft bearings inside the eccentric are trashed. One is almost seized, and the other is shedding bearing balls - which, is not conducive to smooth operations. Will rebuild it and stuff it back together. The quill and main bearings were in very good shape, and just cleaned and left in place.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

OK! They be tubes. Not commonly found laying around.

I hope the idler shaft is OK!!!! I have one that the bearing trashed the shaft.

Hope thee greased the bearings after cleaning!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

It be ugly in there. My belts arrived today. Pollux will be back online late next week. I'm headed to CO for some vacay skiing.
spindle_lo.jpg
spindle_lo.jpg (395.92 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
I have to take the motor out to get the aux shaft and sheave out, then press the bearing off and new ones on. Not too bad of a job, but the belt routing and removal/install is wicked. Very tight tolerances forming the belts around stuff.
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Well, delays happen. I have a vacant rental and I'm' stuck with some int renovation this week then off to see grandkids over the wknd. I have all the bits I need for Pollux, but not the time to dig in. I found some flex vac hose that seems to model what the Magna did with their vac hose and bought that. I also stopped at a vac repair place and asked them about a dust bag for industrial. They had a catalog of various sizes, so I need to measure my canister on the bottom and see what will fit down there.

My next task on Castor is to refurbish the -- castors. It rolls funny, and doesn't turn or run smooth on the ground. I almost tipped it over trying to move it with the whole thing tipped up for drilling. I'll set it back horz and then set it on the ground sideways carefully so I can get to the castors and clean and lube. Won't be for a week or so until I get the rental house done and the new tenant moved in.

BTW, I offered my bro-in-law Pollux after I get it sorted. Don't know if he wants it, but it may be making a road trip to S TN as he is mostly a woodworker and would put it to better use.