Windows 09%^*))()*&76456ti776t8769$%&(

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Windows 09%^*))()*&76456ti776t8769$%&(

Post by reible »

I moved to my laptop and let firefox upgrade to today's version. It looks like it might be fixed. As far as I could tell it was a DNS issue. Might give the main machine a test later tonight. When I tried to watch Festool live at noon it ran for about 5 minutes before it crashed with both RAM and CPU at 100%. It was almost unwatchable even when it started. Much better tonight on the laptop.

And like I said when your video drivers die your display can get messed up.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW all my "issues" began with an update to FF 96(64bit) which updated at the same time as a W10 update(Ihave no control of these things)! Gonna update FF now!

Now running 96.0.1. No change re icon issue.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BTW I tweaked registry on spacing etc. Went to 1125 than tried 700(spacing only) observed effect and went back to 945. Seems to affect how closely they can reside to each other.

One thing I do NOT like is the movement of a folder's contents to another when their icons overlap and deletion of the folder being moved.(icons are shortcuts to folders(subdirectories). I am sure some folks find that useful, but creates problems for moi when trying to cram them together to save space.

Yes I have shortcut icons to folders/programs/w10 functions/anything that I want to be able to immediately access without traversing through a bunch of menu selections starting with the windows key/start icon).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I can not imagine what your home screen must look like. No back ground picture - just a screen full of overlapping short cut icons
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

They are not all that dense!
desktop 1 15 22.jpg
desktop 1 15 22.jpg (377.92 KiB) Viewed 729 times
However since becoming enlarged, less shows through today.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You have a few on there that I don't recognize but for the most part they are access points that I use too. I just get to mine differently than you do.

I certainly understand that if this is the format you are comfortable with you don't want them arbitrarily shuffled.

Maybe you should consider dual monitors.

I also use the task bar more than you do. The desk top icons are for mostly my onboard files.
20220115_053150.png
20220115_053150.png (852.71 KiB) Viewed 724 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I put Firefox 96 on most of my Linux machines yesterday. So far, no issues with it yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping none show up. I don't update from Firefox itself, but rather from Linux Mint's site when they release the update tailored to work with their system. I hope it continues to work. Mint is usually a day behind releasing the new Firefox versions so they can tweak it to work right.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I used to have a desktop similar to JPGs, until I learned how to use a couple of key features that Windows 10 introduced. Keeping in mind that opening any of the docs or apps using the desktop icons takes two rapid clicks, I kept it to two clicks, but a little slower, which has reduced my hand pain caused by repetitive stress disorder (RSD). Several of the system utilities can be accessed by right-clicking the Start button, so that is two clicks (one right and one left-click) to open something like Devices or System. Slowing the clicks down and moving between the fingers helps to reduce RSD.

For the folder shortcuts, I add the folders to the Favorites list by right-clicking the folder. This allows me to right-click on the Folder Explorer on the toolbar and click the folder I want from the list, two clicks. W10 has a restriction on the number of favorites displayed on that list, but this can be increased by changing a registry setting if you have a large enough monitor to show a longer list. A similar trick also works for most application documents, like Word docs or Excel workbooks. First you open the document, then right-click on the Application’s icon on your Toolbar, and then “pin” that document in the list that pops up after you click that icon; two clicks.

Also, I have my folders pretty well organized in a tree, so sometimes I just pin a parent folder to the Favorites list to shorten that list. Yes, that adds a couple of clicks, but I trade that for a better view of desktop wallpaper, which is chosen to reduce the stress I get from using a computer. Computer use stresses me out.

I have a bunch of Word and Excel documents that I use all the time and now they are all pinned to their respective lists rather than cluttering my desktop. This trick works for most applications, and these can be changed as needed. For example, I use Microsoft Visio for network design, room layout, and my woodworking drawings. Since I only work on these for a set period before completing them and moving on to the next project, the “Pinned” drawings on this list changes frequently.

I, like Dusty, keep more apps pinned to my toolbar, primarily to allow this quick access. Since some of my apps can be accessed through their icon in the Toolbox (next to the clock in the lower right corner), I make sure the Toolbox shows the ones I use most often. In the Appearance module in Settings, there is a link that takes you to a window that lets you choose which icons show in the toolbox. I turn on only the ones I want to always show. Then I can right click on those icons to open them or open one of their features. For instance, I have an app called Snag-It, which allows me to take screenshots, edit them, and then save them to many different file and image formats. Right-clicking on that icon allows me to open the Snag-it Editor in only two clicks, one right and one left.

I know a lot of people forget about the right-click, but it allows you to do so much to minimize your number of clicks to directly access your most used features. Right-click is your friend.

I hope there’s at least one tip that is useful in this post. :D
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sounds VERY familiar! Usb drives now works(at least once after booting), but the sd still mute.

So maybe fixed 'eventually'?

Thank You ALL for comments
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝