Windows 09%^*))()*&76456ti776t8769$%&(

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Windows 09%^*))()*&76456ti776t8769$%&(

Post by dusty »

Majones1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 am First, check to see if you can correct your icon size problem by clicking on a blank area of the desktop, then push and hold the Ctrl key while you scroll the wheel on your mouse. This should increase and decrease the size of your icons, depending on which way you scroll.

Thank You for the tip. Yes, it works as you described.

Depending on the computer/video card manufacturer, I would go download and install their latest video driver. Microsoft is always updating things, to make things more secure (which they have been doing a great job with over the past few years) or to make things better for us (which they frequently fail at). These updates frequently cause unexpected problems, especially with older hardware. If your computer is older than, say, four years old, you may see problems crop up after an update. They do often fix those problems in a future update, but that doesn’t help much in the interim.

The "problems" that I have encountered have been because I no longer knew how and not because something had been broken.

If I see weird problems show up on a computer, I I assume it is either an update problem or some form of malware. I install the manufacturer’s driver and firmware updates, including the latest BIOS update. I’ve often seen a motherboard BIOS update fix several weird problems over the years. The problem here is that companies cannot do full integration testing, like they used to do back in the glass computer room era; there’s just way to many variables (hardware and software types and versions) and not enough time to do all that testing. And we users like to pay $500 for a super computer, which won’t pay for extensive integration testing. Therefore, we can assume that Microsoft, and really any software or OS vendor, will likely only test using recent hardware and the latest drivers.

I avoid bios updates unless I have problems. If there are lingering issues that I have not discovered - I don't fix them.

I then install and run Malwarebytes AntiMalware (MBAM). After installing it, be sure to find and enable the “Scan for Rootkit” option. Also, if I’m not going to buy the subscription, I disable the Trial Mode feature, and then disable the auto-start and upgrade check and notification options so it doesn’t bug the hell out of you. If you don’t disable the trial mode, after the trial period it will bug you to buy the subscription. But if you disable these options, you can do very good manual scans of your computer, and it will find and clean things your antivirus will miss.

I use Trend Micro and I swear by it.

Another thing I found that may help you is to follow the procedure below to Minimize the changes. This will change a Windows 10 default, so it might also have an unintended consequence.

Prevent Themes from Changing Icons
1. Go to Control Panel. Right-click Start (Windows icon). Select Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, find Appearance and Personalization > Personalization.
3. Open the Desktop Icon Settings box.
4. Near the bottom left of that box, uncheck Allow themes to change desktop icons. Click Apply > OK to exit.

Hope this helps.

I love computers! {said with great sarcasm}
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Trend Micro is a good AV and I would not suggest replacing it. Malwarebytes is intended as a supplement to almost any AV. Most computer techs have been using it as an additional tool in their toolbox to manually scan and clean forms of malware most AVs miss. It also removes traces of malware that the AVs miss, and sometimes even repairs the OS. For clients that habitually open things they should know to ignore, or are willing to spend a little for more protection, we have them purchase a subscription to Malwarebytes as an added level of protection. As I said, it does not replace your AV.

Yes, I used to avoid BIOS updates, but the better quality manufacturers typically have a great history of fixing bugs in their firmware without causing crashes. Plus, they fix security issues that hackers can exploit. While I don’t typically keep BIOSs up to date (not enough time), I do install their updates when I see a weird, unexplainable problem. The interaction of the BIOS with the OS and the other hardware drivers and firmware can create problems that are a challenge troubleshoot.

Most of my experience is with business level Dell computers and I’ve found their BIOS and firmware updates to be safe to install. For the past 15 years the company I work for has mainly sold and used Dell servers, graphics workstations, desktops, and laptops, and I sold them for the seven years before that when I had my own company. Before that, I used primarily Compaq or HP servers and desktops, and their BIOS and firmware updates sometimes created issues so we generally did not update them except, like you said, we needed them to fix a specific problem. That was not just a problem with Compaq, but also with HP, Dell, and any other manufacturer. But all the big name manufacturers have increased the quality of their firmware programming so that we don’t see serious problems with their updates. I haven’t seen a crash from doing a BIOS or firmware update on many years now, so I don’t fear them like I used to. These days I’m actually much more afraid of the security risks inherent in old firmware.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Majones1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 am Trend Micro is a good AV and I would not suggest replacing it. Malwarebytes is intended as a supplement to almost any AV. Most computer techs have been using it as an additional tool in their toolbox to manually scan and clean forms of malware most AVs miss. It also removes traces of malware that the AVs miss, and sometimes even repairs the OS. For clients that habitually open things they should know to ignore, or are willing to spend a little for more protection, we have them purchase a subscription to Malwarebytes as an added level of protection. As I said, it does not replace your AV.

Yes, I used to avoid BIOS updates, but the better quality manufacturers typically have a great history of fixing bugs in their firmware without causing crashes. Plus, they fix security issues that hackers can exploit. While I don’t typically keep BIOSs up to date (not enough time), I do install their updates when I see a weird, unexplainable problem. The interaction of the BIOS with the OS and the other hardware drivers and firmware can create problems that are a challenge troubleshoot.

Most of my experience is with business level Dell computers and I’ve found their BIOS and firmware updates to be safe to install. For the past 15 years the company I work for has mainly sold and used Dell servers, graphics workstations, desktops, and laptops, and I sold them for the seven years before that when I had my own company. Before that, I used primarily Compaq or HP servers and desktops, and their BIOS and firmware updates sometimes created issues so we generally did not update them except, like you said, we needed them to fix a specific problem. That was not just a problem with Compaq, but also with HP, Dell, and any other manufacturer. But all the big name manufacturers have increased the quality of their firmware programming so that we don’t see serious problems with their updates. I haven’t seen a crash from doing a BIOS or firmware update on many years now, so I don’t fear them like I used to. These days I’m actually much more afraid of the security risks inherent in old firmware.
Based on your feedback - I have just completed the download and installation of a free MalwareBytes trial run. The first scan resulted in quarantining 33 different items. Most of them were registry related. Don't know what that all means but we shall see.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Majones1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:17 am First, check to see if you can correct your icon size problem by clicking on a blank area of the desktop, then push and hold the Ctrl key while you scroll the wheel on your mouse. This should increase and decrease the size of your icons, depending on which way you scroll.

Prevent Themes from Changing Icons
1. Go to Control Panel. Right-click Start (Windows icon). Select Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, find Appearance and Personalization > Personalization.
3. Open the Desktop Icon Settings box.
4. Near the bottom left of that box, uncheck Allow themes to change desktop icons. Click Apply > OK to exit.

Hope this helps.

I love computers! {said with great sarcasm}
Does the scroll flip between the three sizes only?(sml)

Appearance and personalization/desktop icon box ?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Window icon lower left > settings(gear icon) > system > Display > under "scale and layout" > Advanced scaling settings.

Depending on version of Windows, you will see a toggle for 'Let windows try to fix apps so they are not blurry'. If the toggle is off, turn it on, if it's on turn it off. Check for it to resolve.

If the apps icons are still wrong scale, go to the 'custom scaling'. If there is a big number in there, remove it and put "100" in. Check your results. If it is too big reduce that number. If it is too small make it larger. Must be between 100 and 500.

Abstract; Each application provides it's own iconography. There are MS recommendations for apps to follow but since the icon is one of the most important features of an app, most vendors ignore the MS rules for size, shape, vector, pixels, etc and just do what they want. If a user has dozens or more app icons on the desktop, Windows tries to do the best it can to fit them in the little app box provided. Sometimes, bad things happen, and some apps even try to 'cheat' the system by making their icon appear just a bit larger than other vendors. MS knows this and has a smoothing algorithm that will try to equalize all of them. It doesn't always work.

Just one more check, from the settings home, there's a search box. In that search box type; "magnifier", a list of junk will be displayed. All I can say, is to choose one of the listed items that might tell you if the magnifier is on, and if so what magnification factor is set. I would recommend just turning it off, if it's on. If it's not on, don't turn it on.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank You!

I am referring mostly to icons created by W10 itself (downloads/control panel/documents . . .)

Just got an 'update' - maybe that will 'fix' it????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I had the same problem a few months ago. All the methods mentioned in this thread failed to fix the problem. There are two registry entrys that control this. Go to the following page and scroll down to item 3. Mine some how got changed. Playing with the values fixed the problem. I don't remember if I used the exact values in the link.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... -messed-up

Edit: I just checked my values and they are both -1130 FWIW.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 13-56-57 Windows 10 icon spacing messed up.png
Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 13-56-57 Windows 10 icon spacing messed up.png (645.77 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Last edited by jsburger on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank You!

Windows "default" spacing(EITHER DIRECTION) scares me since I prefer to randomly space them(one of my previous consternations when that became difficult). In the past I have been able to overlap them[saves real estate and by leaving a portion of each one accessible they can be selected independently].
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

docmirror
Gold Member

Post by docmirror »

Did regedit the icon spacing fix it? Kinda sad one has to go into the kernel of an OS to fix a iconography issue. But - Windoze, meh.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Am about to seek "icon size" therein.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝