Windows 09%^*))()*&76456ti776t8769$%&(

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Windows 09%^*))()*&76456ti776t8769$%&(

Post by JPG »

Anyone know what shell icon size affects?

BTW my spacing is -945.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Don't know what shell icon size affects. AS I said above (I edited the original post) my values are -1130. As I remember mine were smaller than the linked article above of -1125.

Did you up the value and try it? You can always change it back.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Any time I tread in this neighborhood I proceed very cautiously!

Have some things that must be completed before I will try any changes.

BTW since they are negative values, which way is increase/decrease???

Gonna do some more snooping in the hood(maybe a nearby block).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Up/down to me in this case is the absolute number ignoring the minus sign. In this case -1125 is up from -945. I know I know. ;)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Think ABSOLUTE value.

BTW nothing interesting in de close by blocks.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

I’ve been working in the Windows registry since they first introduced it, and, for several reasons, I am very careful about making changes to the user interface settings. One reason is because changes like this are usually bandaids that may fix a symptom of a problem that is caused by problematic drivers , firmware, or OS APIs. I had a problem several years ago where the fix ended up requiring me to use a utility to strip out the video driver so I could install a new, clean driver. If you use a bandaid you do not know how it will affect your system when the real problem is corrected by a later update.

Updates install lots of shared DLLs and other code files, and sometimes updating just one will corrupt a different program that may seem unrelated. That’s why these types of problems are so difficult to fix.

Is your monitor resolution set to the one that is “recommended”? Resolution interacts with the zoom level and icon size level, so if you set any of these settings to a non-default setting then that may be causing the display to act weird. How old is the computer and the monitor?
Last edited by Majones1 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I agree with the idea of not editing the registry. I started with Windows 95 and once I found out that they expected you to edit the registry to deal with software bugs, I decided that any operating system that needs a registry to run is flawed. I never migrated to Windows 98 because of that. Instead, I dumped Windows completely and have never had to deal with a mucked up registry since.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well it happened again! They are larger still and rearranged. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Changed since this AM. Sat idle all day(up and running).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

It has been a ruff day starting late yesterday when firefox updated. Start running browser and CPU and RAM go way up until the system has video drivers fail and then without drivers the icons become really small and stuff moves all over on the screen. At first I thought maybe it was the video drivers but it only happens with firefox. I went to edge and things work fine.

Checking online firefox is crashing systems all over the world. Will wait a couple of days in hopes of this being fixed but all my book marks etc are on firefox. I see they have an update dated today but have not seen reports as it if that fixes things.

I note this because this sound similar to your issues. I would make sure your video drivers are installed and running. If they crash you will get all sorts of odd video issues.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:23 pm It has been a ruff day starting late yesterday when firefox updated. Start running browser and CPU and RAM go way up until the system has video drivers fail and then without drivers the icons become really small and stuff moves all over on the screen. At first I thought maybe it was the video drivers but it only happens with firefox. I went to edge and things work fine.

Checking online firefox is crashing systems all over the world. Will wait a couple of days in hopes of this being fixed but all my book marks etc are on firefox. I see they have an update dated today but have not seen reports as it if that fixes things.

I note this because this sound similar to your issues. I would make sure your video drivers are installed and running. If they crash you will get all sorts of odd video issues.

Ed
FWIW I am on the Firefox update channel so my FF is always the latest addition. I have not had any crashing problems here, I just checked and there was an update today that required a restart of FF. Restarted and no problems. Version 96.0.1

There was only one bug fix with this update, nothing else. From the Whats New web site...

"Addresses proxy rule exceptions not working on Windows systems when "Use system proxy settings" is set (bug 1749501)"

For book marks and logins take a look at Roboform. Not sure if FF is cloud based but Roboform is so you have access to all your bookmarks and logins across all your devices. I have had a paid subscription for years and it works great. It is also updated regularly, like at least 3 or 4 times a year.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT