WTB: SS Speed Reducer

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tonyturley
Bronze Member

WTB: SS Speed Reducer

Post by tonyturley »

Anyone in the crowd have a Shopsmith Speed Reducer gathering dust, and you'd be interested in selling it? I have a 55 Greenie that I recently upgraded with the Gilmer -> Poly-V and dual bearing quill kit. After dabbling in spindle turning off and on through the years, I've plunged headfirst into bowl turning, upgrading my lathe tools, PPE, and sharpening setup. The bottleneck is my Greenie. It does great with projects around 9" or less, but even those rattle the Greenie sometimes until I can get the excess wood trimmed away. I've talked to SS Customer Service several times, and they are waiting for parts for the Speed Reducer to arrive, and have no idea when that will happen. I don't have the room for a dedicated lathe, and the PowerPro is far more than I'd want to spend, especially after upgrading the Greenie.

If any one has a Speed Reducer you'd sell, or know where I might find one, please let me know. An image of what you have would be appreciated, as well.

Tony
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: WTB: SS Speed Reducer

Post by rpd »

Until you find one, try starting with the blank on the balance point. :)

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Craigslist is worth checking in a radius you're willing to travel. I see them pop up on eBay once in a while. I got one indirectly through a Craigs List ad, I inquired about other tools, talked about Shopsmiths with the seller, and later he got back to me when he found a Speed Reducer for sale. So you're on the right track by networking. There are Shopsmith Facebook pages also, I don't do that but it may be a good place to find one or ask about one.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
tonyturley
Bronze Member

Post by tonyturley »

Thanks guys. Ron, I do try to balance the blank as much as possible, but I don't always get it exactly right. I also have some large blanks I cut from Sycamore, Black Cherry, Beech, Oak, and Silver Maple. I cut other blanks smaller, but it's hard to pass up free wood, especially crotch wood.

Tony
tonyturley
Bronze Member

Post by tonyturley »

I contacted the company again yesterday and was told they should be able to ship a new Speed Reducer by the end of next week, so I ordered one. The rep said they build them one at a time as they are ordered. I have half a dozen or so large crotch pieces from Beech, Black Cherry, and spalted Silver Maple that should make some nice bowls.