Can this be serious!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I wonder if the death of John Folkerth has anything to do with all this talk right now.
JPG
Platinum Member

Clarify "rejects"

Post by JPG »

WHEN I REFERRED TO DAVE FOLKERITH'S ITEMS ON EBAY AS REJECTS OUT THE BACK DOOR I HAD THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLE IN MIND: BANDSAW COVER(SAFETY LABEL CROOKED).

ADD TO THAT SOME ITEMS WHICH ARE NOT USUALLY FOUND ON EBAY(NIB ITEMS WHICH ARE SHIPPED AS PART OF A MORE MAJOR ITEM)...

I DID NOT MEAN TO IMPLY THERE WAS ANY THING WRONG WITH ANY OF THESE ITEMS, MERELY THAT SOME HAD MINOR COSMETIC PROBLEMS.

YES, REJECTS WAS TOO STRONG A WORD, NOT DESERVED!:o

UNFORTUNATELY THIS HAS COME TO A HALT!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I wasn't going to comment but take a look at:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2771
This was sold as I mentioned as used but new condition???

I also picked up a 520 saw insert that had a burr along the back edges of the blade opening which I had to scrape off.... It was new but defective as it was and would not have made it out the door at shopsmith, well at least I hope it wouldn't have. Again this was not an issue as I have plans for it and might end up wrecking it in the process... just didn't want to wreck one of the ones I already have.

A third item seems to be fine but then I paid a good deal of money for that item and I WOULD have been upset had that been damaged or defective.

I bid on 10 other items that all went for more then I was willing to pay, no big deal as Dusty more then likely needed them more then I did. (Just kidding Dusty).

So if you did buy an item I'd take a second or third look at it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:I wasn't going to comment but take a look at:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2771
This was sold as I mentioned as used but new condition???

I also picked up a 520 saw insert that had a burr along the back edges of the blade opening which I had to scrape off.... It was new but defective as it was and would not have made it out the door at shopsmith, well at least I hope it wouldn't have. Again this was not an issue as I have plans for it and might end up wrecking it in the process... just didn't want to wreck one of the ones I already have.

A third item seems to be fine but then I paid a good deal of money for that item and I WOULD have been upset had that been damaged or defective.

I bid on 10 other items that all went for more then I was willing to pay, no big deal as Dusty more then likely needed them more then I did. (Just kidding Dusty).

So if you did buy an item I'd take a second or third look at it.

Ed

So, we were bidding against one another. Well you might have saved me from the wrath that would have prevailed if I had won everything I bid on.

I was pleased with everything I got.

I prefer the old days when you had some idea who you were bidding against. This anonymous bidder thing is for those who have no courage of conviction.

BTW, I might have bid on your table. Glad you got it, I don't have an epoxy.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Now you really!!!!!!!! don't know who the snipers are.
ldh
JPG
Platinum Member

Snipes

Post by JPG »

Amazing how MOST of the bidding is in the last few minutes. I feel helpless as most 'auctions' end when I cannot 'be there'.

Lost too many to mention by $0.50!!!!!:( Got some within the last 5 sec also.:) Guess that makes me one.:D

I wish 'one click bidding' was different..(increase bid to above current bidders MAX)! Too blind for some people! I once 'won' an item because of a misplaced decimal point (to the right of course). Would have hated to one click bid above the 10x bid though.:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
efmaron
Gold Member

Corperate Heads do own Shopsmiths

Post by efmaron »

Back in the late 50's my father's cousin married the owner of a large aviation comany that was based at the Buffalo, NY Airport. He invited the entire family out to his 100 acre estate for a family get together. At some point during the afternoon all the men were taken down to his basement workshop. And there it was a brand new Shopsmith. Non of us had ever seen or heard of one before. We all wanted a demo and a demo he gave us. This was the best part of the day for me, at the time I was going thru my high school apprenticeship half the day every day for 4 years I was in a machine shop class. Well that was some where around 1958/59 and in 1981 I became a proud owner of a Shopsmith.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

I just got a new sanding disc for $35.00 shipped. That will give me 3, one for the glue on, one for sharpening, and one for the velcro. But, your right, most times the price is prohibitive. I just put in a maximum, what I'm willing to pay, and if I get it, fine. If I don't, then again fine.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
hardway
Gold Member

Post by hardway »

I would like eBay to bid the way GunAuction.com does. The bidding is extended for 10 minutes after the last bid even if the times goes past the scheduled bid closing. This is more the way a real auction is held where the bidding goes on until no one bids any more. It would get rid of sniping and the seller would probably get a higher price.

The drawback is that you better know what something is worth or you could pay more than buying new. Come to think about it, I have seen a lot of SS stuff go for more than what the current SS sale price is.

Unless it is a genuine good price, I would rather pay more more for new SS stuff than take too many chances on some of the eBay I have seen.
Tom
Masontown, WV
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Hi All,

Just to point out a fact that I saw myself, Shopsmith is still advertising in woodworking magazines in the U.K. (England) and are still offering instruction on their use there.

I think that this is a good sign they are planning on staying in business, at least for a while yet. Otherwise, why bother advertising all the way over on the otherside of the great pond.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o