Anyone else have an OS3 cloud device?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone else have an OS3 cloud device?

Post by Ed in Tampa »

JPG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:29 pm I was amused when the "fast" electrostatic(?) printer came out. the favorite wow point was it printed at the same paper feed rate as the earlier model's form skip speed. Ever done a skip without a control tape mounted? :D Box of paper WILL fill a small room!!!! :rolleyes:
Many times doing repairs. You learn to stick you foot in the box of paper real quick. Customers never liked sending a whole box of paper through printer while the operator stands there screaming STOP!
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:36 am
Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:26 am I can not fathom 1 TB of data! I use a 5 GB cloud and only have 1GB and that is with three machines backed up on it. My phone is 16 KB and it less that half full. This iPad is 64k and right now I have 29k used.
I do not know but my guess is you could not view 1 TB of data in a life time. When I worked for IBM we had a computer that could hold everyone’s name and address in the world and while I do not remember the exact memory size I believe it was less than trillion bytes. At the time we had a printer that could print out all those names and addresses in 24 hours. Used huge rolls of paper and paper went through it like water.

I do not have a solution for your problem but you might consider trashing stuff you could never look at in a life time.😂

Are you sure about these numbers?

My first home built computer (back in the 60's) had 64k of memory.

My cell phone has 128GB of memory. I have 2.35GB of just Shopsmith photos on my desktop. My 2020 tax file is 775kb.
Dusty your are right the numbers are gigabytes not kilobytes. iPad 64 gb phone 16 gb. Sorry about that! But the point I was trying to make a tb full of data is unimaginable to me. Sure maybe a huge movie library or tons of music files or even photos but I question how often the collector really looks at all the info.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:17 am
Ed in Tampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:26 am I can not fathom 1 TB of data! I use a 5 GB cloud and only have 1GB and that is with three machines backed up on it. My phone is 16 KB and it less that half full. This iPad is 64k and right now I have 29k used.
I do not know but my guess is you could not view 1 TB of data in a life time. When I worked for IBM we had a computer that could hold everyone’s name and address in the world and while I do not remember the exact memory size I believe it was less than trillion bytes. At the time we had a printer that could print out all those names and addresses in 24 hours. Used huge rolls of paper and paper went through it like water.

I do not have a solution for your problem but you might consider trashing stuff you could never look at in a life time.😂

My cell phone has 128GB of memory. I have 2.35GB of just Shopsmith photos on my desktop. My 2020 tax file is 775kb.
Dusty your are right the numbers are gigabytes not kilobytes. iPad 64 gb phone 16 gb. Sorry about that! But the point I was trying to make a tb full of data is unimaginable to me. Sure maybe a huge movie library or tons of music files or even photos but I question how often the collector really looks at all the info.
Yes, that is an awful lot of digital data but I have a 2TB external drive that contains nothing other than pictures, PDFs (mostly shop related) and my financial files (1 life times worth - including my military records) that is 47% full. That's just a touch under 1TB used.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

WD has announced officially that I can get 20% off a 8TB cloud device that would cost me $299.00 minus the 20% off and then tax..... They had more expensive options. So that is not going to happen.

So I have been working on stripping data off the main drive and now how that down to a very small amount. The attached 2TB drive is another story. I have started on it but I expect a part time job of a couple of days to do what is needed. Well going to be really cold tomorrow so what else do I have to do??

1TB main drive is now 147GB on another drive and 80MB still left on it. Got rid of a lot of old stuff and moved the rest. The 2TB will be a lot more work as not only is it twice the size to start with it also has a real eclectic bunch of stuff. I will have to look through a lot of it file by file.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
abrahammclaurin
Bronze Member

Post by abrahammclaurin »

Do you mean about a separate device that has access to cloud storage or something like that? If you're asking exactly what I was thinking, then this is a very strange way to store data in the cloud. In 2022, there is a HUGE amount of choice for storage in the cloud, ranging from Google drive to iCloud. I've been using Fastupload lately because it's very convenient and reliable. And as for rare devices for cloud storage, I wouldn't even ask about this. People keep such things exclusively for the collection of old devices (along with dandy and Nintendo).
Last edited by abrahammclaurin on Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:33 am
Ed in Tampa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:17 am

Yes, that is an awful lot of digital data but I have a 2TB external drive that contains nothing other than pictures, PDFs (mostly shop related) and my financial files (1 life times worth - including my military records) that is 47% full. That's just a touch under 1TB used.
Dusty why are you keeping all this data? I have a friend that keeps all his bank statements for day one until now. I tried to explain to him if last months bank statement balanced the previous statements do not matter. He refuses to delete them though he will never use them.

He also keeps every oil change and gas station fill up. So he can tell you that five years ago he bought 20 gallons of gas for x amount of money and his car got 17 miles to the gallon.
However no one including him cares!