Suggested Sticky: Tell Me How Much My Shopsmith Is Worth And Where I Can Sell It"

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Suggested Sticky: Tell Me How Much My Shopsmith Is Worth And Where I Can Sell It"

Post by algale »

Maybe I'm grouchier than most members, but I'm soooo tired of people who drop in and their first and usually only post has to do with figuring out how much their Shopsmith is worth and trying to sell it here.

So, I am recommending our admins create a new top-of-the-Community-Forum sticky titled, "Tell Me How Much Shopsmith Is Worth and Where I Can Sell It?"

Upon opening the sticky it could say something like:

"1. The Shopsmith Forum does not offer opinions on the resale value of Shopsmith equipment. It quite simply depends on too many variables, including without limitation, what is being offered, its condition, where it is located (some markets have a large supply and little demand, other markets have little supply and a large demand), and general market conditions that can and do change.

"2. It is not appropriate to list equipment for sale on the Shopsmith Forum on behalf of yourself or others. If you wish to sell your Shopsmith equipment, we suggest you list it on your local Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, ebay or in a classified ad in your local paper.

"3. While there is a standing thread in the Community Forum called 'Bargain Available' where members are allowed to post links to ads they have seen for Shopsmith equipment that does not belong to them, what constitutes a 'bargain' is entirely in the eye of the beholder."

The topic would be "Closed" so that comments could not be added.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Suggested Sticky: Tell Me How Much My Shopsmith Is Worth And Where I Can Sell It"

Post by dusty »

algale wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:56 pm Maybe I'm grouchier than most members, but I'm soooo tired of people who drop in and their first and usually only post has to do with figuring out how much their Shopsmith is worth and trying to sell it here.

So, I am recommending our admins create a new top-of-the-Community-Forum sticky titled, "Tell Me How Much Shopsmith Is Worth and Where I Can Sell It?"

Upon opening the sticky it could say something like:

"1. The Shopsmith Forum does not offer opinions on the resale value of Shopsmith equipment. It quite simply depends on too many variables, including without limitation, what is being offered, its condition, where it is located (some markets have a large supply and little demand, other markets have little supply and a large demand), and general market conditions that can and do change.

"2. It is not appropriate to list equipment for sale on the Shopsmith Forum on behalf of yourself or others. If you wish to sell your Shopsmith equipment, we suggest you list it on your local Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, ebay or in a classified ad in your local paper.

"3. While there is a standing thread in the Community Forum called 'Bargain Available' where members are allowed to post links to ads they have seen for Shopsmith equipment that does not belong to them, what constitutes a 'bargain' is entirely in the eye of the beholder."

The topic would be "Closed" so that comments could not be added.
An extremely good suggestion. As a follow-on to that. I would suggest that the existing Heads-Up - Bargain 'available' thread be removed in its entirety.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Suggested Sticky: Tell Me How Much My Shopsmith Is Worth And Where I Can Sell It"

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Or some how combine the two ? , my guess is there are folks posting good deals on the other @ links that could continue to benefit members looking for a special part / parts or SPT who will never ask what the stuff is worth ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The sticky suggested in the OP is a good idea.

The Bargain Available thread is a little useful for pricing used Shopsmiths. You can see what someone considers a bargain price, and comments from other show how such bargains are evaluated by knowledgeable buyers. Perhaps more than bargains should be included, the thread can be about prices of used equipment in general. The outrageously high prices sometimes advertised get mentioned from time to time already. I would recommend starting a new thread every year though, the older ads aren't valid anymore and these days the prices won't be either.

I don't think Shopsmith is entirely against the concept of used machine sales, they do make some money from parts, upgrades, and new equipment purchased by owners of these old machines, sometimes several times over. That's what happens when you make machines that last forever.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER