PowerPro - I wish I could disable "Confirm" Button

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

runamuk13
Silver Member

PowerPro - I wish I could disable "Confirm" Button

Post by runamuk13 »

Is there a little-known, magic sequence of button pushes that disables the requirement of the CONFIRM button?

I've recently upgraded to the PowerPro and there is a lot I like about the new motor.
The thing I dislike the most is the Confirm button. I understand why Shopsmith included it. I understand that it helps prevents injury. I understand that it prevents litigation. I understand all that. But I still dislike it.

There are 2 things I dislike - the location and that you have to poke it (when over 1500 rpm).
1) Location - I wish it was closer to the ON button. I don't like that it's mixed in the the other buttons across the bottom of the control panel. Ideally, it should be bigger and located right next to the ON button (perhaps where the Off button is located).

Speaking of the OFF button. It should be bigger. It should be titled STOP and the ON button should be titled RUN. How'bout make the entire flat upper half of the control panel the Off button.

2) I've been a woodworker for 50+ years and still have all my fingers. I don't need to "Confirm" anything. I know what I'm doing. I'm safe and careful ... always! I wish there was a magic sequence of button pushes that would disable the Confirm requirement.
Last edited by runamuk13 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark V - 500 --> 510 --> 520 --> 7 PowerPro
Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer and more
Shopsmith owner since 1984
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: PowerPro - I wish I could disable "Confirm" Button

Post by JPG »

I share thy frustration. I do not have a PP but get cranky having to tell Windows I really want to do what I just told it to do.

Such double selections make sense when about to do something destructive(formatting a hard drive) but things that are merely inconvenient if unintended do not need that 'protection'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I second the motion. It is annoying to deal with this. There may be a parameter that controls it but Shopsmith may not want a safety feature to be disabled.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Hmmmmm Set the threshold to 11,000rpm? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Have you ever thought about tilting at windmills for a hobby?

Yes having to press confirm could be an irritant but I do think it is a safety feature that is not going anywhere.

After using the powerpro for some many years now I don't even think about it, just do it. When I turn pens and run reverse every other grit when sanding you do it a LOT. If it were going to bug me so much I guess I would just get another lathe to turn with or just do it and keep my mind on the task rather then the annoyance, sort of keeping your eye on the prize.......

If I had some things that I would change on the powerpro that would be pretty low on the list. First thing I would like to have changed is the speed range. 100 to 8,000 would be a pretty good start for me.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I dont mind confirm....I do mind trying to hit that overly small "Stop" button though when my hand is on a workpiece and the blade is still turning.

I'm usually 1 hand short for this :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Enter the foot operated stop 'button'!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

reible wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 pm If I had some things that I would change on the powerpro that would be pretty low on the list. First thing I would like to have changed is the speed range. 100 to 8,000 would be a pretty good start for me.

Ed
It should only require a pulley change to make the speed range 100 to 9850 RPM. The display will read 150RPM too high without software changes though. Maybe the belt would have to change if there's not enough adjustment range in the eccentric to accommodate the new pulley size. The software changes involved would be slight, I wonder if options in the speed range done this way have been considered.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 am It should only require a pulley change to make the speed range 100 to 9850 RPM. The display will read 150RPM too high without software changes though. Maybe the belt would have to change if there's not enough adjustment range in the eccentric to accommodate the new pulley size. The software changes involved would be slight, I wonder if options in the speed range done this way have been considered.
I'm unsure of your pulley math.(?) I think a pulley change for 100 RPM would only allow 4000 RPM at the top. That would be better for me in my shop, though. I imagine from Shopsmith's perspective it no longer adds Router/Shaper functions and is less marketable.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ya it is the ratio that matters!

So what size would be required? i.e. what size is the original motor poly-v pulley?

Wait until a certain SS engineer gets wind of this conversation! :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝