New owner of a "other brands" Total Shop

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Markm1
Bronze Member

New owner of a "other brands" Total Shop

Post by Markm1 »

Had a Total Shop machine given to me recently. Thank God I didn't pay anything for it after doing a "small" amount of research on it. Haven't even Started it yet as I need electrician to equip my panel for service. Not even sure it will run. Came with all standard accessories except Table saw Guard. Has a Band saw attachment. Also an Owners Manual with (2) VHS tutorial tapes. LOL. Have to find a VCR now that works. Been watching Youtube videos. Hope maintenance procedures will be somewhat similiar to SS.
Hasn't been used for 15 years or so. Not very confident this machine will perform well if at all. Would welcome any feedback. I know this community is Shop Smith and my machine is a clone but what can I say. It fell into my lap. Would like to have a little fun with it though. Never had a machine like this before. Just standard Table saw and typical hand/power tools. That's it for now. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mark Anderson
Ft.Lauderdale, FL
1echo3030@gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New owner of a "other brands" Total Shop

Post by JPG »

Some of us SS weirdos are not biased like some SS naysayers and appreciate exploring under a clone's interior just fer curiosity's sake(and maybe just maybe learn something during the process).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

There are old threads about the Total Shop and other clones like these:
viewtopic.php?t=17355
viewtopic.php?t=16830

People seem to keep using them until they run out of parts and some Shopsmith owners tend to accrete a collection of machines. Just gets habit forming after a while.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I haven't owned any of the "clones" but as I understand it since they are based off the Mark V some parts are interchangeable while others are not. Also, since they are based off the Mark V, maintenance could be and is likely similar. Oiling the movable sheaves on the Idler and Motor Shafts keeps the Mark V running happy so should be true for "clones".

Mark, I do wonder about your statement
Haven't even Started it yet as I need electrician to equip my panel for service.
What does your Total Shop require for power?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Maybe 230v?

Maybe new panel?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

That's what I wondered. The Mark V had a 230-volt motor option and I don't know if any "clones" did too.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Markm1
Bronze Member

Post by Markm1 »

It has a 6-15 Plug config. As I understand it that is for 250V? Sorry my electricity knowledge is "Zero". The Label says 115V/230V motor. That's why I need an electrician. As far as Panel space, I don't have any spare room to add another breaker if I was going to have it on a dedicated circuit. Maybe I could change the plug? I only have wall receptacles for the standard 5-15 plug and a 10-30 for my dryer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If it has a 6-15p then the motor is likely connected for 230v.

If you replace it with a 5-15p then you will also have to reconfigure the motor connections to 115v.

P.S. If you are running a dedicated branch for the shop(and will likely have the electricial add an aux panel) I suggest running 230v and wiring a combination receptacle with a 6-20r and a 5-20r. You could also have separate receptacles having 5-20r and 6-20r configuration. A ganged breaker will protect a 115v overload.

-20 receptacles are available that accept both -15 and -20 plugs(both 5 and 6 types)

For those not following the 5/6/15/20 nomenclature:

5-15 = 115v 15a
5-20 = 115v 20a

6-15 = 230v 15a
6-20 = 230v 20a

p = plug
r = receptacle

All defined by NEMA.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Markm1
Bronze Member

Post by Markm1 »

Thanks JPG

Is there a performance difference in running it at 115V vs 230V. I see the label on the machine the references the wire connections that u are describing to change V. 115V seems like a less $$$ commitment. Especially since I don't even know if the thing runs.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So, the first step is to reconnect for 125v and replace the plug with a 125v version and try to get to run.

As for performance 250V has less line loss voltage(more available voltage at the motor).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝