Supporting Shopsmith on Lumberjocks forum

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

8iowa
Platinum Member

Supporting Shopsmith on Lumberjocks forum

Post by 8iowa »

Incredibly, my home page on the Lumberjocks forum has now had over 800 "hits". This is a very large woodworking forum with a substantial number of new members just coming into woodworking and asking advice on tools and shops. Not surprisingly, I'm outnumbered, even though there are several active shopsmith owners present. It is somewhat frustrating to see newbys who must set up shop in 1/2 of a garage being bombarded with suggestions and recommendations of separate tools.

Those 800 who have entered my home page, http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/8iowa ,certainly get to know more about Shopsmith than they ever/never wanted to know.

My point here: Even though this is a great forum, we are mostly the "choir". I know that many of you have great shops and woodworking knowledge. Why not enter this forum and post pictures and blogs about your shop and projects. This is like free advertising to a specifically targeted group.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Great idea!
Just to name a few, there's also Woodnet Forums, Sawmill creek and Router Forums, and several ww discussion groups on Yahoo where we MIGHT have some influence with ww newbies.
I've often wondered why someone at SS doesn't promote the Sawdust Sessions outside the SS owners community. There is a lot of good info there for other than SS users.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

pkni:

Frustratingly, here is an example of how new woodworkers are being led into woodworking today. This guy's shop, in 1/2 of a garage, would have been much better off with a Shopsmith.

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/Hrolfr/workshop

Missed opportunities...............
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Yep. Went there and read his thread. False economy IMHO. My shop is 24X32 and I use the SS as a table saw, sander, router table and bandsaw.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

ahhh the contractor's lil portable saw. I toted one of those around to job sites when I was working a second job building log houses and they are functional for crude construction where accuracy isn't important but the defection of the fence was terrible.

I've tried to chime in in favor of the Mark V when I make it over to LJ but the forum is large enough and I'm infrequently visiting it so I miss opportunities to spread the word.

In reality, I need to finish some of these projects and learn how to post photos with this MacBook. I think that would be the best way to show what Shopsmith products can produce, show em off.

I'm also on their sister site for home remodeling and I need to do the same there as most of my stuff is house projects instead of the furniture that is the emphasis of LJ.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Holy smokes!:eek:
He put his drink on the Powermatic bandsaw! (The nicest and most functional piece of equipment in his shop)
Cast iron and coaster rings don't mix well and now i have a deeper understanding of how great tools can look like junk in a few short years.

I don't mean to criticize but it affects me in the same way a rock star smashing a fine guitar affects me.
Sacrilege.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:Holy smokes!:eek:
He put his drink on the Powermatic bandsaw! (The nicest and most functional piece of equipment in his shop)
Cast iron and coaster rings don't mix well and now i have a deeper understanding of how great tools can look like junk in a few short years.

I don't mean to criticize but it affects me in the same way a rock star smashing a fine guitar affects me.
Sacrilege.
Furthermore, it looked as though it is a glass drink container. I don't do drinks in my shop at all. Now I know I'll get pounced on for that statement but I don't.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Cast Iron

Post by JPG »

pinkiewerewolf wrote:Holy smokes!:eek:
Cast iron and coaster rings don't mix well and now i have a deeper understanding of how great tools can look like junk in a few short years
Maybe he has it WELL WAXED so NO RINGS!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

dusty wrote:Furthermore, it looked as though it is a glass drink container. I don't do drinks in my shop at all. Now I know I'll get pounced on for that statement but I don't.
Coffee, tea, in insulted containers. NO glass or cans. NEVER alcohol. That's reserved for later.;)
Gene

JPG
Platinum Member

Beverage Container

Post by JPG »

[quote="pkni"]Coffee, tea, in insulted containers. NO glass or cans. NEVER alcohol. That's reserved for later.]

What pray tell is an "insulted" container?:confused: I do not usually go around insulting inanimate objects, there fore I do not have any~:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange