Question

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

art
Bronze Member

Question

Post by art »

I am new to this forum and I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but.............are any of you having trouble receiving your orders? My wife placed a Christmas order on Dec2 and I have received a few pieces but only after complaining bitterly. I am told by the ordering person that they have no idea when the rest of my order will be in stock. (Oh and when my wife placed my order she was told all was in stock and we would have prior to Christmas - two days later they called back and said everything was back ordered)
doug45601
Gold Member

Post by doug45601 »

Hi Art and welcome to the forum.. Backorders are currently common with Shopsmith at the time... Be patient and your order will be filled..

Others here including myself are waiting..

Great to have you onboard with us.. Lots to learn here, Enjoy!!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Art! Welcome to the Forum. Sorry about your presents - especially from your wife! But this is the situation we find ourselves in during these hard economic times. Read through a few more threads and you will find you are not alone in the waiting game. I am waiting on a Strip Sander myself.

Shopsmith has been a Company that excels in customer service and parts availability, however the bad economic straits have caused low amounts of warehouse storage and only few employees. They are trying their utmost to keep on serving their customers and keep on, keeping on.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

Welcome, Art, to the Shopsmith community. You will find a nice bunch of folks here - we all love our Shopsmith's and we all enjoy woodworking.

Unfortunately backorders are, indeed, the order of the day. I have several items that are on backorder (including one Christmas present for a friend) and I have simply taken the position that I am supporting a friend (i.e Shopsmith) who is having a rough time with the economy.

You can be assured that you will not be charged for an item until it ships. You can also be assured that everyone at Shopsmith is trying their best.

So we (the customers) hope. And we wait for the USPS or UPS person to show up with another package from Shopsmith.
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Little consolation, but the credit card won't be charged till the items are shipped.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

To reiterate what has been previously said, back orders are the rule rather than the exception. On the plus side, when the product does arrive, the quality is excellent, and the customer support has always been thorough and friendly. I personally like to call Shopsmith every once in a while to check on the backorder. Just makes me feel better to know I have not been forgotten.
Like the others on this site, I like to support an American company, producing a quality product, so I wait.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Welcome Art,

I am sorry that you have items on back order. It is an unfortunate chain of events that has SS in this position. By reading these threads, you will see that most backordered items are received within 1-2 months. Some people have been waiting as long as a year for some parts though. If you have used your Mark V very much, I am sure that you appreciate what a fine piece of equipment it is, and be thankful that SS is trying to stay in business.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
art
Bronze Member

Thank you

Post by art »

Thank you all who responded to my question. I have enjoyed the service I have received in the past as well, and hope to continue. What amazed me was the operator I spoke with could not even give me a ship date so I was worried. After reading all of your comments I will just be patient, and thanks again for letting me know I am not alone!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

art wrote:Thank you all who responded to my question. I have enjoyed the service I have received in the past as well, and hope to continue. What amazed me was the operator I spoke with could not even give me a ship date so I was worried. After reading all of your comments I will just be patient, and thanks again for letting me know I am not alone!

He can't give you a ship date if he doesn't know himself. This backorder thing is a series of deficiencies all along the supply chain. Shopsmith would deliver if Shopsmith could. We are going to be plagued with this problem until the recessionary conditions reverse....patience shall be in high demand for months to come.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

12/20/08, I ordered a switch for my 1975 MKV and have yet to see that it has been shipped.

I replaced it with a DT/DP switch rated at 20 amps. No big deal, just have two "off" positions.;)

You guys would have ROTFL at me. I took the entire headstock off, disassembled the housing, and removed the motor just to find out why my lock wasn't working right. Fixed that, then it wouldn't turn on. Went through the whole process AGAIN to just determine that the switch was bad....:o :o This was just 4 days after I'd done a complete maint. on the old lady. Oh well, someday, I'll learn to look at the simple stuff FIRST! I'm only 67 y.o, I've got time, right? :rolleyes:
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton