Total Shop

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

alfred_j
Silver Member

Biscuit Joiner

Post by alfred_j »

alfred_j wrote:This is all very interesting. Thanks to everyone. :)

Does Shopsmith still offer a biscuit jointer and can it be used with my Total Shop?

I see from the Shopsmith Website that a biscuit joiner is offered.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Yes, SS still offers the biscuit cutter andIhave no idea if it will work on your Total Shop, but am guessing that it will.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
cincinnati10
Gold Member

Go with a Handheld Biscuit Joiner

Post by cincinnati10 »

SS Part No 555320 for the biscuit joiner which sells at $147.

I would recommend applying the money toward a DeWalt or other handheld simply b/c you would not have to do the changeover/set-up. ToolKing has them for $158 refurbished and $189 new in the plastic case. You can also see the Makita and PC there. I have the DeWALT and it was a good investment.
odyhill
Bronze Member

Post by odyhill »

otee453 wrote:I read somewhere how Totalshop started building their tool as an exact copy of the Mark V when the Mark V patent protection ran it's course. At some point, Totalshop copied a small item, might have been the "speed increaser", not ever realizing a separate patent existed on that individual item, AND.......

wham! In court, and they were litigated to oblivion by SS!

Don't know if it is true, but read it somewhere. Perhaps Snopes has the "rest of the story"!:D :D :p

I spent my prehistoric life as a tool and die maker only I built production machinery and Back during the mid 60's and early 70's we began seeing a lot of machinery being imported from Tiawan. Someone jumped on this and started to import the cloned SS as the patten time had run out all except for the variable speed changer. had the variable speed changer patent run out SS wouldn't have been able to get to them. I have a TotalShop that I picked up for cheap and used it for a while but the variable speed went on it. I called SS to see if their variable speed would work and they assured me it would, it didn't, so I bought a real old SS headstock w/variable speed from Ebay and the whole headstock fit right in place but the it was a first generation SS and was antiquated compared to the TS. I should have spent the extra money on the later edition.The SS headstock had a 3/4 HP motor where the TS had a 1-1/4 HP so I swapped out motors. I hoped I could swap out some of the other headstock features of the TS but no deal, as explained in an above post the spindle, bearings etc were all different. The machine runs fine but I have not used it in 2 years. All the extra's like band saw etc fit right on either machine as the rail tubes are the same diameter and the spacing is the same. the casters look exactly the same around. We are moving back up closer to our kids so if anyone in Florida is interested come by and pick it up for zero, it also has a bandsaw. It needs a real good cleaning up as it sits outside but it has been covered. PM me if interested
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

odyhill wrote:I spent my prehistoric life as a tool and die maker only I built production machinery and Back during the mid 60's and early 70's we began seeing a lot of machinery being imported from Tiawan. Someone jumped on this and started to import the cloned SS as the patten time had run out all except for the variable speed changer. had the variable speed changer patent run out SS wouldn't have been able to get to them. I have a TotalShop that I picked up for cheap and used it for a while but the variable speed went on it. I called SS to see if their variable speed would work and they assured me it would, it didn't, so I bought a real old SS headstock w/variable speed from Ebay and the whole headstock fit right in place but the it was a first generation SS and was antiquated compared to the TS. I should have spent the extra money on the later edition.The SS headstock had a 3/4 HP motor where the TS had a 1-1/4 HP so I swapped out motors. I hoped I could swap out some of the other headstock features of the TS but no deal, as explained in an above post the spindle, bearings etc were all different. The machine runs fine but I have not used it in 2 years. All the extra's like band saw etc fit right on either machine as the rail tubes are the same diameter and the spacing is the same. the casters look exactly the same around. We are moving back up closer to our kids so if anyone in Florida is interested come by and pick it up for zero, it also has a bandsaw. It needs a real good cleaning up as it sits outside but it has been covered. PM me if interested

As I understand it, it was the BISCUIT JOINTER than allowed SS to 'get TS'. The Patents had run out on just about everything, but the BJ's patent had not. TS neglected to verify this and started selling the BJ. SS sued and tromped them forcing them into oblivion.

Interesting considering the post #10 of this thread!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Total Shop

Post by billmayo »

odyhill wrote: We are moving back up closer to our kids so if anyone in Florida is interested come by and pick it up for zero, it also has a bandsaw. It needs a real good cleaning up as it sits outside but it has been covered. PM me if interested
As noted in post #5, I have the remains of several Total Shops and have repaired one. I would be very interested in your Total Shop. Contact me with phone number and location. Thanks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

If the Total Shop has a 5/8-inch spindle with the right size flat machined on it, then it will work.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
fwade
Bronze Member

Total Shop broken part

Post by fwade »

I have attached a picture of a part that broke on my Total Shop. Any ideas on where to find a replacement? Speed control is what I think it is called. This is my first post so if it is not posted correctly someone please tell me how to post.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (141.16 KiB) Viewed 18546 times
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

SS makes a biscuit joiner. Not certain if it fits Total Shop.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Each Total Shop that I have seen that did not operate had the identical problem, broken speed control assembly legs. The bracket material (legs) cannot be brazed or welded, a pot metal type material. Luckly, the Shopsmith speed control assembly legs bend and not break most of the time.

I was able to machine and jury rig a Shopsmith speed control assembly one time but was not happy with the results and labor was excessive. It is not a bolt in change. If you wish to contact me, I will dig around to see what solutions and fixes I offered years ago. I still have a Total Shop headstock that I can use to check out any solution I may be able to find or think about. The Total Shop was a better and stronger HP machine at that time.

The last few Total Shop owners with problems accepted my solution by using the Shopsmith headstock as a replacement. The Total Shop has 1.675" way tubes but by filing out any wear on the lock wedges, I was able to determine that the Shopsmith headstock will lock down and maintain correct alignment, just a little lower overall. My Shopsmith headstock rebuilding jig uses a Total Shop base, base arm and half length way tubes.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)