Filming how to use Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cjf1944
Bronze Member

Post by cjf1944 »

I've just attended 2 days of a 3 day travelling academy. Day 1 was basic woodworking and use of Shipsmith; day 2 was more hands-on with practice making cuts on different tools. I didn't attend day 3 (I somehow managed to catch the flu in the middle of day 2) but I am certain it was just as excellent as the first two days. The topic was the lathe (I will attend a class laterthis month I hope). Spike Mertes was the instructor and I very much appreciated his knowledge and skill. I learned a huge amount. BUT...as I go through my notes, I realize it is just too much to remember without a memory jog. My request to Norm and to Shopsmith is to make a video regarding how to operate and get the most out of each of the Shopsmith tools as well as one on how to conduct maintenance, the five key places to assure are locked, body mechanics, etc. You could include it in the cost of the Travelling Academy or the National Academy (preferably both). I would find this of great value and would be able to watch it in my garage/shop (Studio I should say) and would become competent more quickly and likely would be safer in how I address and handle each tool. I hope you will give this serious thought. The Shopsmith is a remarkable set of tools but there is more to know about the Shipsmith than the average mind (and espcecially the slightly older mind) can keep track of. Thnaks for reading and, I hope, responding.:)
cjf1944
Bronze Member

Post by cjf1944 »

Sorry. The person I was referring to is Nick and not Norm.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Filming SS use, set-up and maintenance

Post by a1gutterman »

You are not the first to suggest this. Check out this thread: http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=300
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Online Shop Class

Post by Bruce »

There is a web site that has how-to videos. I think Shopsmith is one of their sponsors and some of the equipment used is Shopsmith. I am not a member, but you should check it out at onlineshopclass.
cjf1944
Bronze Member

Post by cjf1944 »

Thanks. I'm hoping Shopsmith will do something more formal and particularly for Shopsmith and all of its related tools. I think it would be a great help.