Shopsmith in 'precarious financial condition'

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

Dangit! Something highjacked the SSUG link. Now I'm getting some garbage that say "AlQatari was here". I'll have to check this at home, I guess. Would someone mind pasting Nick's comments from SSUG here? If it's okay (legal) to do so, of course.
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Ed, the reason I didn't post here is that at the time I decided to respond to a comment about Shopsmith's financial health at SSUG, there were no posts about it on this forum. Apparently, no one had yet noticed and shared the article in the Dayton Daily News that has occassioned this outpouring of concern about Shopsmtih's financial health. There was already a thread started at SSUG and I just continued it. As I've explained several times, I see my job here as responding to your request for information -- I am at your service; I don't dictate.

I very much wanted to comment; having made my living as a journalist for many years, I thought that the article that appeared in the Dayton Daily News was sloppy and inadequately researched. It was nothing but numbers -- addition and subtraction -- that are available to anyone who wants to do a little digging. The reporter did nothing to try to understand the situation here, the problems we are facing, and the opportunities that are open to us. Had I turned a piece of fluff like that into my former editors at the Atlanta Journal Constitution or the Christian Science Monitor, I would have been risking my job.

If someone wants to go grab my post from SSUG and copy it here, be my guest. I'd do it right now, but as Eric mentioned the link has been pirated by a hacker.

One of the things I didn't say in my SSUG missive, but I'll say it here, is that one of the major strengths that Shopsmith has in today's market is the quality of its communication with Shopsmith users and their communication with each other. This is nothing that the bean counters can put a dollar value on, but it is a very real asset nonetheless. Look at the number of posts on this forum and on the SSUG that laud our customer service, our Traveling Academy, and (thank you, guys) our National Academy. Furthermore, even though we're struggling with some short-term financial problems, Shopsmith has kept its committment to communication and education. That takes some long-term vision.

We may be struggling, but what American manufacturer isn't these days? And we've got some assetts that many manufacturers would die for. It's my judgement that we aren't going anywhere, guys. Anywhere but up, that is.

With all good wishes,
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith's Financial Position

Post by dusty »

Nick and All Other Shopsmith Personnel

We all read posts of this type with a great deal of concern while at the same time with a great deal of faith. Many of us have been Shopsmith owners/users for a long time and some of us for even longer.

During that time, we have all learned what our equipment can do for us but more importantly, we have learned what Shopsmith (the team of people) is all about. You can read these posts nearly every day and you will find someone expressing their satisfaction with their Shopsmith and more importantly "the people" at Shopsmith.

You hang in there and I am sure that the users will be there for a long time to come. I know that I will for as long as the Good Lord will allow me to remain capable of Making Sawdust.

Incidently, it is good to hear from you again. Your postings have been a bit sparce lately. Don't scare us like that.

Also, we are still waiting for that revised maintenance manual!

Nick's posting on ssug.org

Post by mpcarr »

The content below was posted by Nick Engler on SSUG.ORG. That site is currently experiencing a security "bad hair day." I was able to obtain this by entering the term "cache:www.ssug.org" in a google search. I removed the referenced Dayton Daily News article text to keep things short but it is available online as previously noted.

r/ Mike Carr

Nick on March 8 said:

Those of you who are interested in Shopsmith's financial health may wish to read an article that was published in today's Dayton Daily News. It's not especially accurate. As usual, the reporter got a good many of the details wrong. But the overall jist of the article is on the money. We've had some tough times, and we are taking steps to correct the problems. I'll let you read the article, then comment on some of information it contains.

(text of Dayton Daily article removed)

The reasons for Shopsmith's financial difficulties are multifaceted. Yes, it's expensive to demonstrate the machine and to educate potential owners that the system works as well as -- and in some cases, better than -- stand alone tools. But that's not the only difficulty we're facing.

Power tools sales are down across the board, not just for Shopsmith but for many tool manufacturers. Some of this is due to market glut, particularly with used tools. Schools are closing their shop classes and disposing of their power tools as teachers prepare today's students to become "knowledge workers" in an "information economy." (I privately wonder who's going to build the desks and chairs and computers for all these knowledge workers?) Because Shopsmith has been very active in education, many of these schools have one or more Shopsmiths to dispose of.

And because a Shopsmith is a legacy tool -- they just don't wear out -- it's hard to sell new when there are so many used avaliable. We find ourselves in the same predicament as Packard in the late 40s. The daggone cars lasted too long, this reduced new car sales, and Packard finally though in the towel, defeated by its own exceptional craftsmanship.

If a used tool glut weren't bad enough, we are also faced with the reality that there are fewer new woodworkers looking for tools. The slow death of shop class is one of the symptoms of the unfortunate fact that today's Americans are not as handy as they once were; many no longer actively engage their environment with the make-it-fix-it attitude of their parents. We are, in fact, discouraged from making and fixing things by the economy we have built. You can no longer tune your car with a timing light and a socket set; you take it to a someone who hooks it to a computer that tells him what components need to be replaced. In our own woodworking craft, it's often cheaper to buy ready-made furniture and cabinets than it is to buy the wood to make them.

So it's harder to find buyers for new tools. And if that weren't enough, our historical outlets no longer work as well as they once did. Early in the 50s, the company learned that the machine couldn't easily be explained in an advertisement or commercial. It had to be demonstrated. So we began setting up at shopping malls and demonstrating it. This remained a mainstay of our marketing efforts into the 90s. But the clientele at malls has shifted and the ground is less fertile than it once was. And mall management, by and large, is less receptive and cooperative as they once were. We've begun to demonstrate at home centers, but the results so far have been mixed.

All of that having been said, I'm optimistic about Shopsmith chances for survival and growth, as are a lot of my friends here at the company. There are two reasons for this. The first is that the "Plan B" folks mentioned in the Dayton Daily News have an extremely good history, they seem savvy about today's marketing methods and consumer culture, and they are interested in every little detail. Unlike many other management consultants, they are hands on with the product. (It's a shame that the DDN reporter didn't take the time to investigate Plan B or talk to one of their team; the report might have read much differently.)

The second is this -- and I think many of you would agree with me -- we have all been watching a Renaissance in tool savvy and the make-it-fix-it mindset over the last few years -- and it is picking up the tempo. New people entering the craft may be declining at the moment, but it will turn around shortly. This rebirth is being powered by the very tools we are all using right this very moment -- the Internet. For those of you who doubt this, check out a site called http://www.makezine.com. It will blow you away. What is more important is that the information you and I need to reproduce the wonderfully crafted pieces posted at makezine and dozens of other places on the Internet is available at lightspeed -- from the Internet. You no longer need a shop teacher; some very good teacher/craftsmen are now accessible to those who want to learn the craft over the web. With the continuing advances in distance-learning technology, teleconferencing, and web telecasts, the next generation of woodworking mentors will be the world's best craftsman, and their students will be more creative and more prolific for it.

The fact is that if the Shopsmith has to be demonstrated to interest the consumer, and the consumer has to be educated to make a decision to buy, then this is a very good time to be in the Shopsmith-making business. It's never been easier or cheaper to reach interested people. What we here at Shopsmith have to do is shake off some of the old marketing habits that are no longer working and take advantage of the new and better communication channels that are opening to us. And we are doing just that.

There was a line in a movie recently and I can't remember its title, but the sentiment fits: "Don't just hope for a Renaissance; expect one."

With all good wishes,
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

It appears to me that the key to the turn-a round plan is to increase sales. My old boss used to say, " The best place to look for increased sales is with your present customers".

That being said, there are a lot of guys on this forum with older machines that could be upgraded - and probably need to be. I've never regretted upgrading my '83 MK V to Pro-Fence. I also upgraded the bandsaw and the joiner and these are definite improvements. So, why not bite the bullet and bring your machine up to date.

Also consider a power stand for your planer. This is a lot easier on your headstock. I've also ordered a power stand which can accomodate the joiner, bandsaw, and scroll saw.

Now is the time for all good men ( and women) to come to the aid of their favorite woodworking company.
dusty
Platinum Member

How to Help

Post by dusty »

Don't forget the consumables: like sanding belts, disks, blades, knives, etc.

I just went through my shop and cleaned house; next step - restock.

Get enrolled in the training classes. Take advantage of these when they come to your area. These are really a give-give exchange. I personnally try to enroll in every one that comes within driving distance.
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Waiting too long

Post by wlhayesmfs »

I agree I have a machine I purchased in 90 that needs to be upgraded. I have been waiting to do so so I guess now is the time. My machine is great. In fact from all the post we know these machines do not wear out. I have two OLD ERs that are going strong along with my MKV and will not give any of them up and plan on adding any I find to my collection. I hope the company finds a way to keep up with the times but we do need to support a great product. We just need a way to have it available to us beside ordering through a catalog. I know this was done before and stopped but most of my parts were purchased this way long ago.
Keep up the great machine.
Bill
In Broken Arrow OK.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
paul heller
Gold Member

Post by paul heller »

Ed in Tampa wrote:See this is something I don't understand about SS, this is the offical SS forum. Why is Nick commenting at SSug.org? Or at least why isn't is also here?
I couldn't agree more!
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

A big thank you to mpcarr for copying Nicks article over here.
THANK YOU !
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA