Interesting Comparison

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john
Platinum Member

Interesting Comparison

Post by john »

When I retired about three years ago, I started to focus on a couple of my main interests.

The first was woodworking and getting to spend more time with my SS 510 and SS Bandsaw.

The second was to start researching travel trailers as I felt I was ready to start travelling and enjoy camping. Eventually my focus was on Airstream trailers as they represented top quality and endurance. I was amazed at how many Airstream Forum members had older units that were either being used or refurbished. Much like what I have seen here in the week since I have joined this group.

If I am not mistaken, Airstream was in finacial difficulties several years ago until being bought-out by a large RV manufacturer. They now seem to have rebounded and I certainly hope Shopsmith can as well.

However a difference between the two is that Airstream can market to higher income earners who can afford their higher prices for a superior product. Shopsmith however tends to target smaller shop owners because this is where their product fits best. Those that have the big bucks and can afford to have large shops will tend to fill them with multiple stand alone machines and not Shopsmith.

I wish I had the answer to this dilemma but I don't. Maybe someones suggestion of promoting their stand alone machines to a wider audience would help. I do know that I wish Shopsmith had a higher profile here in Canada. It used to many years ago but declined when they had to pull back and essentialy stop local demonstrations.

Happy Woodworking!

John