Shopsmith reviews

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Shopsmith reviews

Post by reible »

Post like this might be one of the things holding back sales???

http://www.epinions.com/content_145549135492

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you are still looking for more reviews check this one out:

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/shopsmith.htm

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Reviews

Post by dusty »

Thank You Ed

This is definitely something that WE can do. But first I must allow myself time to settle down my emotions.

I must also acknowledge that what has been written is just one persons opinion and that I just don'r happen to share his opinion.

However, I cannot sit here and let this sort of misinformation prevail without taking the opportunity to state opposing opinions. I have signed up with epinions and will be posting there as soon as I have settled down and have completed my research.

Hopefully, some other faithful Shopsmith owners will see fit to join me.
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Reviews

Post by dusty »

Hold Everything.

As always, one must learn to "Look before you Leap".

At first glance, it appears that epinions is at least actively sponsored by ebay and may even be operated by ebay. A thorough evaluation is in order. As I was taught as a youngster "One Could Cut Off Ones Nose to Spite Ones Face", whatever that means.

I am signed up with epinions and have been confirmed but I may not post there. I am interested in hearing the 'epinions' of the forum.

Help Me People, Help Me.
Gold Member

Opinions are like......

Post by chiroindixon »

Like my dad used to say "Opinions are like %#@&, everyone has one." I read both reviews and had seen them before while trying to convince a friend that a Shopsmith was the way to go.

No luck. He's of the "stand alone tools, bigger shop" clan. He bought out an older woodworker headed to a retirement home. An entire shop of very nice separate tools, but they are now all crowded and piled up in a very small garage. Virtually unusable, especially when weather is bad. Read "deep snow in the high Rockies". So...now he is faced with building a separate out building. That's a pricey solution.

Read the reviews closely and you'll find that the second admits that while he was disappointed, the Shopsmith may in fact be the perfect solution for another.

I bought my 520 new, while living in an apartment with a small garage rental. Having never done any woodworking whatsoever in high school or during my Army career, learning how to use my Shopsmith was fairly easy. I had no prior prejudices about using other systems, nor was I put off by the changeovers. Lots of military equipment is designed like that so I had no/little problem.

My setup came with PTWFE and a shelf of Engler books. Okay...homework time. I started with birdhouses, planter boxes, then stepping up to coffee tables and an heirloom baby crib. My neighbors complement my work, to include my neighbor with a shop to rival Norm. I "get'er done".

Years later, I moved out to "the farm" and I have the space to put huge shop out in the barn. But, wife and I have kept the shop in a 13x19 basement room with large windows. Good natural lighting, warm and an easy place to relax during a cold blustery Iowa winter. We just open a door off my home office.

Using the Shopsmith I built the shop using mostly "dumpster dived treasures". My chop saw station was made from a old desk and a large TV console. Turning some scrap into something useful, like jigs and fixtures I enjoy. The Mark V and band saw built my lumber racks, my adjustable infeed/outfeed tables using old 500 parts, shelving, various sleds and jigs.....It's tight...but cozy.

Getting my wife interested, the scroll saw is "hers" now, I rescued an original '54 Magna and used EBay to upgrade to another 520. It powers the scroll saw, is a spare dado station, lathe, and parks my jointer. Oh, and now I have my 520 back.:D

Shopsmith makes little to no money off me now. As I tease "Jan", I own just about everything they make. Ain't much if anything to buy.

Now....having said that. A Shopsmith is pricey. Jumping right in takes some serious commitment in a new hobby. I ordered "the whole nine yards" at once. Figured I'd just go for it. A master cabinet maker and I sat with a catalog and a few pitchers of beer, marking what he thought a shop needed. If it didn't work out, that was to be my fault, not my equipment or lack of it. He about keeled over when a week later, he found I did in fact order it all.

Knowledge is another matter. I searched the local community colleges for wood working...no luck. So...Attendance at a Traveling Academy is a must. I've been to three held here. Having Doug or another instructor guide an owner through alignment (major PITA), setups, and exactly what a Mark V can do is invaluable.

A serious suggestion for Shopsmith is to include a complementary attendance to all three days with Mark V purchase. Getting an owner off to a great start would do much for their base. It amazed me and the instructor, of the number in attendance that had owned a Mark V for years, and never fired it up. One guy here had practically everything, for ten years, still in unopened boxes!

Does a Mark V do everything? Nope....but I've learned to work around it's limitations. Do I want a dedicated, large table saw in the center of my dream shop. Yup....and it will be a StopSaw. My 520's will still have there place for all the other functions like Dan of "Song of the Great Lakes".

Do I use a Mark V for sheet goods? Not until I knock them down to workable (for me) sizes with a good circular saw. My miter/chop saw has been a great addition. The Mark V in the saw mode is mediocre.....until you get the hang of making and using sleds and jigs. Made with the Mark V, right?

A Shopsmith demo gets you with the lathe...at least it did me. Bob Bryant was peeling off yards of wood effortlessly as he made spindles etc. I didn't take up turning until a year ago. I found a tremendous wood turning club in the Quad Cites. A little mentoring, a few new lathe tools, and a whole new activity opened for wife and I. Tap on over to Quad Cities Wood Turners. Club has some bona fide AAW masters as members. See if the AAW can steer you to a local club.

I have no regrets buying my Mark V and 3/4 of their catalog. For a small shop, basement or garage...it works. If one can buy a good used one at a bargain price, all the better. Is it right for everyone? NO. It requires a different mindset and learning curve.

The recent article in WOOD (?) magazine that outlined how Mark Adams started his career on a Mark V, I consider a great testament. I doubt my projects will be in one of his shows.....but my family likes them. I'm happy....Maybe that's the bottom line.

Doc
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

The bigger issue I have seen with all the reviews is they review the 510 or worse the 500. To me the 520 with rip scale and lift assist is a different machine and the vast majority of issues raise no longer apply.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

:p Ahh gee! Now you went and made me feel bad!
paulmcohen wrote:The bigger issue I have seen with all the reviews is they review the 510 or worse the 500. To me the 520 with rip scale and lift assist is a different machine and the vast majority of issues raise no longer apply.
Not really! :)

It's apparent you really like your 520. But can't help but think my 510 will hold it's own.

Maybe a big part of the problem reviews is - the reviewer is not really familiar with the SS.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Reviews

Post by dusty »

It seems obvious to me that the reviewers opinions are not consistent with many of ours. There is very little if anything WE can do about that. But what WE can do is put some reviews out there that do express our opinions.

I am going to start by putting one at http://www.epinions.com. I have already registered there and have made copies of the epinions that are on file regarding the Shopsmith. They are NOT all negative.

I am going to write individual epinions on those SP tools that I feel passionate about.

Maybe we can get some of the manufacturers to pay attention and do some serious reviews. The really negative reviews that I have read have been written by users of the 500 and sometimes 510. I sort of agree with some of their opinions when talking about a 500 but most of the 500's shortcomings have been resolved. At least in my opinion.

Before I run off saying something wrong though I need to check. I have installed the Mark V 520 Upgrade Package 555771 on my 510. Does that make this a complete 520 Pro? Reference page 4 of the 2006 Mark V Accessory Catalog. I didn't pay anything near $1,079 for my upgrade; I paid less than half that from Shopsmith.

What is the Pro Fence Table System 555865. Actually the question is, "Do I need the 555865 to accurately state that I have a 520 Pro"?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have done both the 500 and 510 to 520 and the difference is in what parts you get. For the 500 you need a new table and extension/floating tables, new saw blade arbors, new hub for the disk sander and of course the tubes and associated parts, and dust collection parts for the saw along with the table saw insert. Lathe tool rest and safety kit. (Think that covers most of it.)

The 510 you already have most of the parts so you get new rails and safety kit.

Either way you end up with a 520.

To have all the advantages of the 520 you must have the larger motor (std since 196?) and the two bearing quill (let's not get into a discussion of the quill issue).

On the used 510 I got it was missing the tie bar guard (ref # 155) so I don't know if it got lost or was never added.... the holes were undersized to fit the screws that came with my order so maybe they had change hole sizes or maybe that is why it was never added??? Anyway the upgrade kit assumed that was there already and that was the only extra thing I had to buy...

I love the 520, like a new saw!!!!!!! (The upgrade cost more then I paid for my shopsmith new back in 1976...... new price was as I recall $745) But then how many companies have a product that can be upgraded like this so many years later???????

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Review

Post by dusty »

Ed

Please respond to the last sentence in my previous post. Is the Pro Fence/Table System 555865 part of a true Shopsmith Mark V 520 Pro.

I do not have 555865. It did not come with my 520 upgrade kit.