Busy day!!

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

curly57
Gold Member

Busy day!!

Post by curly57 »

I had quite the busy day, started out by putting my new upgraded table on my band saw, looks really nice. It's larger than the old cast iron as well, I really like the fence and the table extention, the circle cutter is pretty cool as well. About 1:00pm thought I should check up front to see if the Fed-ex truck had been by yet, and sure enough there were three large boxes in the courtyard. My storage cabinets made it, now I have a place to put everything I've been ordering lately, whew!! I can finally see the work table!! LOL!!! It took awhile to put the casters on them, they look really nice to, and hold quite a bit, I have to lable the drawers still, probally tomorrow.
I started on a bowl on the lathe once I got everything put away and waxed. I bought a blank of canarywood,(thats some hard wood) and no wonder it's so expensive, that's some Beautiful wood!!! It has some Very pretty grain!!!
Well I'm beat!! gonna hit the sack...

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!:D
scottss
Gold Member

Post by scottss »

I upgraded my bandsaw last year and it was a very good upgrade. I want to upgrade my jointer next. Now that you can find you workbench its time to make some sawdust. I am currently building a dresser out of elm. I bought the lumber about 3 weeks ago and let it get use to my shops climate for a week and then I began to plane and joint it (it was 4/4 rough stock). I have to make up some wide panels. I'm not sure if I should get a biscuit joiner or do the dowels for joining the boards together. Also I think I am going to make sliding dovetails for the cross pieces.
curly57
Gold Member

Post by curly57 »

Hi Scott!! Yes it is a very good upgrade!! and I am, my wife wants me to build her to large book cases on each side of out fireplace(floor to ceiling) I'm wanting to do the rough stock as well(since I did just buy the planer and jointer). this might be a silly question, but what does 4/4 mean? Guess it's been to long that I've been away from shop class(lets see?? probally since 71'). Well good luck on your project!!

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!

Curly...
dusty
Platinum Member

4/4 S2s

Post by dusty »

You ask, what does 4/4 mean. Try this reference, if it doesn't answer your question repost and I'll try again.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Buying ... _s.html#07

This one will answer questions I'd never think to ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timb

Did you know that filter bags for the Festool DC cost nearly $6.00 (5 for $29). During an active week in the shop I'd fill one.
That's $20 a month for throw away bags for my sawdust. I'd have to buy the longlife bag at $184.00 and hope that
longlife means at least a year or two.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

scottss wrote:I upgraded my bandsaw last year and it was a very good upgrade. I want to upgrade my jointer next. Now that you can find you workbench its time to make some sawdust. I am currently building a dresser out of elm. I bought the lumber about 3 weeks ago and let it get use to my shops climate for a week and then I began to plane and joint it (it was 4/4 rough stock). I have to make up some wide panels. I'm not sure if I should get a biscuit joiner or do the dowels for joining the boards together. Also I think I am going to make sliding dovetails for the cross pieces.
I don't think I'd purchase a biscuit joiner just to make panels. Biscuits and dowels really aren't necessary. They make alignment easier, but add no strength to the joint. Of course, a biscuit joiner will come in handy at some time, so if you've got the money, go for it. :)
curly57
Gold Member

4/4

Post by curly57 »

Thanks Dusty!! I had no idea!!

Happy Woodworking and God Bless!!

Curly...:D