Pictures of my restored Mark V

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

That there is a right purty tool, alrighty! So what did you do to the lower tubes to make 'em look so nice? And which brands of paint did you use, again?
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
rcartmetal
Gold Member

Post by rcartmetal »

Ya know. yer supsozed to show labels of products in yer pics!
Spike from PDX
I like hand tools, too!
easterngray
Platinum Member

Thanks

Post by easterngray »

Thanks fellas - the paints were all Rustoleum both the hammered finish in gold and copper and a silver that was designed for outdoor use for the lower tubes - The silver went on very thin, took many coats, and a full can for the two tubes. Thanks again! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
ouagawood
Bronze Member

Restore MarkV

Post by ouagawood »

I am in the same boat with a 1985 mark V. How did you get the tubes cleaned up ? Elbow grease, WD40 and steel wool or something else ? i am still working on the table and legs.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Cleaning tubes

Post by easterngray »

Ouagawood - I started on the way tubes with WD 40 and a bunch of green Scotchbrite pads. Lots of elbow grease and paper shop rags! I then moved to medium and then fine steel wool. It took a while, but worked well. The lower support tubes were originally painted silver. I did the same routine with them, but not nearly as thorough as I intended to paint them over with Rustoleum. Worked great. The tubes are by no means perfect, but certainly much better. I applied a coat of wax to both sets of tubes. Good luck and take pictures! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's