The Great All-American Wooden Toy Book

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rkh2
Platinum Member

The Great All-American Wooden Toy Book

Post by rkh2 »

Just received The Great All-American Wooden Toy Book purchased at Half.com for $1.00 and noted in the preface that all the toys that Norm Marshall built were done on a Shopsmith using mostly the band saw, drill press, table saw, lathe and disc sander. The plans in this book are better detailed than the ones in the Hands Ons plans. Just thought I would pass this information on. Thought it was cool that he used the Shopsmith and mentioned it in the book.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Actually, the editor of Shopsmith's Hands On! magazine talked Norm into writing that book and helped him find a publisher, after Norm won one of the scrapwood project contests Hands On! used to sponsor. That's why several of Norm's designs from that book made it into the pages of Hands On!.

With all good wishes,
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Wow,
What a deal I just bought that book at Barnes and Noble and I paid $20.00 for it. Nick, thank you for in insight that is interesting. I was also suprised to see the picture of the shopsmith in the book. I had no idea I just wanted to get some ideas on making toys and the book looked interesting to me. I am very happy with the materia. I have not tried to make anything yet.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Nick wrote:Actually, the editor of Shopsmith's Hands On! magazine talked Norm into writing that book and helped him find a publisher, after Norm won one of the scrapwood project contests Hands On! used to sponsor. That's why several of Norm's designs from that book made it into the pages of Hands On!.

With all good wishes,
Again: Glad to see you are still around and have time to share, Nick!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Nick wrote:Actually, the editor of Shopsmith's Hands On! magazine talked Norm into writing that book and helped him find a publisher, after Norm won one of the scrapwood project contests Hands On! used to sponsor. That's why several of Norm's designs from that book made it into the pages of Hands On!.

With all good wishes,
Don't be so modest, Nick! Were you knot the editor that you speak of???:D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Hi everyone,

The All American Wooden Toy Book is my favoite book on the subject as well. Norm Marshall's projects in the old Hands On magazine is what first attracted me to Shopsmith.

For those out there who may not be familiar with the book or with Norm Marshall's projects, some of them are still available online. The link below should get you to a copy of one of his projects along with a brief bio on Norm.

http://www.shopsmithhandson.com/archive ... roject.htm

You may want to check it out.

Best regards to all,

Dennis
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

perryobear wrote:Hi everyone,
For those out there who may not be familiar with the book or with Norm Marshall's projects, some of them are still available online. The link below should get you to a copy of one of his projects along with a brief bio on Norm.
Are there more??
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

navycop wrote:Are there more??
Hi,

A quick search of the Hands-On Magazine archives turned up four toy projects by the late Norm Marshall:

Toy Crane

California Dream Toys (truck, trailer and bulldozer)

Spirit of St Louis toy airplane

Flying Tiger P-40 toy airplane

The holidays are only a couple of months away, a good time to start building some toys. :)

Dennis
albie
Gold Member

Post by albie »

Doesnt seem like a year ago that I built a pair of biplanes from the All American Toy book....
[ATTACH]6286[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6287[/ATTACH]

You might find the bio of Norm Marshallinteresting
Attachments
biplane.jpg
biplane.jpg (76.15 KiB) Viewed 6660 times
biplane 2.jpg
biplane 2.jpg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
Al B
Shopsmith Greenie (my late Dad's); My 520, 6" Belt Sander, Bandsaw, Jointer, pro planer, scroll saw, Jig saw, strip sander, router table, OPR, dust collector, power station, & power stands
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Nice airplane, Al!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.