New headstock and OPR

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

New headstock and OPR

Post by reible »

Hi,

With the upcoming headstock the rpm should/might be high enough to be a decent router. So if shopsmith were to make package of the parts used for the OPR minus the arm part might that be a new option for us owners?

Any of you OPR owners see any issues with this idea other then the obvious one of how to lower the bit and hold it in place???? Perhaps a new attachment that would allow that??

I was just marking up the abused OPR table I got last spring so it got me thinking how this might work. Wonder if anyone at shopsmith is working on this as it seem a really good thing to have for additional sales.

OK, it's raining out, it is to dark to work out anyway and I need to go to the hardware/grocery stores so I check back later to see what YOU think.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
tryinhard
Gold Member

Post by tryinhard »

Wouldn't SS simply state their Shaper package is up to the challenge?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The current shopsmith has a shaper package, a router package, and the OPR. For those who want the overhead pin router function you will still need to buy the kit and router if things stay as they are. If however shopsmith were to design a cleaver way of using the quill feed and being able to lock it in the plunge position in a way like the OPR it would be quite easy to pick the pieces out from the present OPR kit and sell it for less as a upgrade path.

I think this is very different thing then saying the shaper package is up to the challenge... isn't it? But of course the advertisement can claim the fact that it has both a better shaper package and a better router package too.

So far all the ways I can think of doing this quill lock thing from the lever are way to complex. Anyone care to brain storm some ideas?

Ed
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I think that they wood be foolish to KNOT market it as a router, so now we could have a 6 in 1 machine!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
nuhobby
Platinum Member

You're on to something!

Post by nuhobby »

reible wrote:
I think this is very different thing then saying the shaper package is up to the challenge... isn't it? But of course the advertisement can claim the fact that it has both a better shaper package and a better router package too.

So far all the ways I can think of doing this quill lock thing from the lever are way to complex. Anyone care to brain storm some ideas?

Ed

Reible, I think you may be one of the folks who has the oscillating-drum-sander gadget (something I don't have yet). Maybe studying this device can stimulate ideas on how to manage the quill extension / locking in an exotic way. Hey, on top of that, make it a pneumatic-powered quill like the industrial OPR's might use. Just add a Mk-5-powered air compressor on one of the shafts of the headstock, too! This opens up a whole new arena of tasks, like using the huffing/puffing quill for pressing guitar frets and so on.
Chris
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Hi,

The current shopsmith has a shaper package, a router package, and the OPR. For those who want the overhead pin router function you will still need to buy the kit and router if things stay as they are. If however shopsmith were to design a cleaver way of using the quill feed and being able to lock it in the plunge position in a way like the OPR it would be quite easy to pick the pieces out from the present OPR kit and sell it for less as a upgrade path.

Ed
What functions does the opr 'plunge' lever do that a stock quill advance does not???? Multiple stops??? What????:confused: :confused: :confused:

B4 getting too giddy over the increased quill speed, remember it is only going up by a factor of two. Typical routers are 2 to 3 times faster than even that.(10k/20-30k)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

The handle twists on the opr and locks the position.

Ed

JPG40504 wrote:What functions does the opr 'plunge' lever do that a stock quill advance does not???? Multiple stops??? What????:confused: :confused: :confused:

B4 getting too giddy over the increased quill speed, remember it is only going up by a factor of two. Typical routers are 2 to 3 times faster than even that.(10k/20-30k)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Hi,

The handle twists on the opr and locks the position.

Ed
Ah So! One handed operation.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rdubbs
Gold Member

Post by rdubbs »

I am hoping for OPR capibility in the PowerPro, also. However, the "guessed at" top speed of 10,000 RPM is not fast enough for smaller router bits which need at least 20,000 RPM. Another feature provided by the current OPR rig is fine height adjustment. I am hoping that the engineering department is working on a way to: 1) at least double the headstock speed; 2) provide both gross and fine position adjustment; and 3) keep the bit inline with the quill (the current speed increaser is a right angle device which is really only suitable for "from below" table work).
Rick Dubbs
2004 520 w/bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC 3300, Universal Lathe Tool Rest, Talon chuck, & Lathe Duplicator
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

It sure would be nice if we forum members had reason to believe that our perceived needs were known by the engineering staff.

Like, if maybe one of them who MIGHT be lurking would speak up now and then.

However, except for an occasional input from Admin, I get no indication that anyone is listening.:(
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.