Be careful out there....

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Be careful out there....

Post by Gene Howe »

Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

That won't of happened had he a SS. It is too big to put on an ice chest.
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
dlbristol
Platinum Member

how could you do that!

Post by dlbristol »

nomoman wrote:That won't of happened had he a SS. It is too big to put on an ice chest.
Well, not necessarily, you could put one chest under each leg. As long as the castors are up, it could work. I'd worry about it rolling off otherwise.:D
Not to make light of this accident, but there are things that just don't make sense. That said, I've done some dumb stuff that made perfect sense at the time and seemed totally ignorant later!
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
jmoore65
Gold Member

Post by jmoore65 »

Another reminder to not be in a hurry when using power tools.

I think you have to cultivate a safety mindset. Our brains are too ready to accept an idea as valid ("Hmm - that ice chest looks big enough to set this saw on - and the top is pretty flat, especially in the middle where most of the saw will sit").

Thanks for the reminder.
Jim
510 upgraded to 520, bandsaw, Homecraft jointer, universal lathe rest, Craftsman tablesaw w/Delta fence, standalone belt/disc sander, power miter saw, a bunch of smaller stuff
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

He must have had a bad back so he raised the height of the saw by putting it on the ice chest to make it more comfortable to work? Anyone able to think of another reason why someone would put a table saw up on top of a cooler? Was he trying to hide it from his wife?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

mickyd wrote:He must have had a bad back so he raised the height of the saw by putting it on the ice chest to make it more comfortable to work? Anyone able to think of another reason why someone would put a table saw up on top of a cooler? Was he trying to hide it from his wife?

If he was trying to hide it, he would have put it under his boat:D
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

That's why you should always turn the saw off before getting a beer out of the cooler.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Maybe it was one of the bench-top type saw. Something like this one that doesn't have a stand:

And he was using the ice chest as a stand because he needed the room on his workbench? That's the only thing I could figure. I can't imagine any other way of setting a table saw on an ice chest.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

I wonder if it was a styrofoam ice chest from Wally Mart.
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
tango
Gold Member

Post by tango »

soooo, was it on when it fell? I'm not making light of the situation, but how could it cut a hand off if the blade wasn't turning? I can see how it could fall and hit someone's hand, but unless it was running I can't see how it could cut it off.

On top of an icechest... doesn't seem like a "handy" place to put a tablesaw anyway... oohh, sorry :o