Potpourri starting Jan 10, 2010

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Potpourri starting Jan 10, 2010

Post by mickyd »

This thread is for discussion of anything. Changing subjects is expected and/or encouraged!

Last weeks was:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4936http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=4837
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Aren't these ER's versatile? No motor, no problem......use a big 'ol mother of a drill!!! Who needs a speed changer when you have variable speed!!!

Found this photo on the yahoo ER group site. Can't remember who's photo album it was in so apologies in advance for not giving credit by name. Who ever you are....NICE JOB. Great idea. Your either very creative or very frugal (aka cheap!!). :D A belt guard might even get it past an OSHA inspector!!
[ATTACH]7321[/ATTACH]
Attachments
a10er007mod.jpg
a10er007mod.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Aren't these ER's versatile? No motor, no problem......use a big 'ol mother of a drill!!! Who needs a speed changer when you have variable speed!!!

Found this photo on the yahoo ER group site. Can't remember who's photo album it was in so apologies in advance for not giving credit by name. Who ever you are....NICE JOB. Great idea. Your either very creative or very frugal (aka cheap!!). :D A belt guard might even get it past an OSHA inspector!!
[ATTACH]7321[/ATTACH]
OK the shafts turn. Now whatcha gonna do with it? No place for table(either saw or drill press).

Maybe drilling hinge mounting holes in narrow doors?(after raising to vertical):D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:OK the shafts turn. Now whatcha gonna do with it? No place for table(either saw or drill press).

Maybe drilling hinge mounting holes in narrow doors?(after raising to vertical):D

He's just trying to figure out whether the shaft turns CW or CCW when the motor goes CW.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:OK the shafts turn. Now whatcha gonna do with it? No place for table(either saw or drill press).

I'd be willing to bet the owner knows....think outside the box.....way outside the box......
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:He's just trying to figure out whether the shaft turns CW or CCW when the motor goes CW.

Most drills run CCW(reversable ones excepted)!

BTW Mike, I doubt that old work horse ran but one direction. I give him an A for originality!!!!!:cool:

Ever try drilling a hole with a reverse twist bit and a drill that is running 'forward'(CCW)?:( I bought a set at a yard sale, and one of the bits had a reverse twist! It IS less embarrassing than trying to drill with the drill running backwards(CW).

Note: All CW/CCW references are made relative to the apparent direction of rotation of the shaft when viewed from a position along a line coincident with the axis of rotation.;) This is consistent with Dusty's earlier definition re motors.(different thread)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Most drills ....

BTW Mike, I doubt that old work horse ran but one direction. I give him an A for originality!!!!!:cool:

Zoom in above the back handle on the drill and you see a box with wires coming out of it. What might that be for?? :confused:
Mike
Sunny San Diego
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

mickyd wrote:Zoom in above the back handle on the drill and you see a box with wires coming out of it. What might that be for?? :confused:
Looks like an ER motor mount plate with a motor attached to it.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

heathicus wrote:Looks like an ER motor mount plate with a motor attached to it.

And it is sitting in a 'tub'? which is sitting on the floor.

Interesting quill feed handle(the second one - the white one).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Most drills run CCW(reversable ones excepted)!

Put the drill / carriage on the other side of the headstock, long belt and bingo, reversable motor.:p Necessity is the master of creation!! We can jury rig most anything if we think hard enough.
Mike
Sunny San Diego